The Best Doctor is Also a Philosopher

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

The Best Doctor is Also a Philosopher

Post by Philosophy Now »

Peter Adamson on medicine in the ancient world.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/114/Th ... hilosopher
marjoram_blues

Re: The Best Doctor is Also a Philosopher

Post by marjoram_blues »

It's amazing what you discover when you actually sit down and read the PN magazine cover-to-cover.
I don't know about anyone else here - but as a supportive rather than eager-beaver subscriber to the mag, I don't rush to rip open the cellophane cover and devour its contents. I might read the odd article, cartoon, or be seduced by the occasional on-line discussion but that's usually as far as it goes.So, my promise to myself was to read this issue, as if philosophy was my Great Passion and I wanted to find out More about Everything.

Apparently, 'Philosophy Then' is a regular column - by Peter Adamson. Didn't know that :oops:
Interesting that we have had recent discussion on the forum re a separate 'History of Philosophy' section; this 'regular' seems to fit the bill. The Prof. is the author of 'A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps', based on his popular podcasts.

I enjoyed reading this tie-up; showing the integration of science with philosophy not only in European history but also in the Islamic world.
The wide influence of Galen ( Marcus Aurelius's doctor no less !) was perhaps due to his location of the 'ruling faculty' in the brain, unlike Aristotle and the Stoics who had our 'mind' or our control centre, located in the heart. He also wrote ' That the Best Doctor is Also a Philosopher'.
Basically, medicine and philosophy were pals; ideas of knowledge ( experience and theory)...' even ethics, with moral instruction being understood as a kind of medicine that applies to the soul instead of the body'.

Finally, the Prof leaves us with the thought that Galen's heirs ( that us ?) were 'prepared to believe, not only that the best doctor is also a philosopher, but also that the best philosopher is also a doctor' (p33).

Yes, I suppose so, but I really, really want my GP to concentrate more on either prevention or alleviating ill health - but wait, perhaps popping pills won't fix you when it's a matter of the heart/soul/mind. Holistic care has been around for a while, but some doctors still don't 'get' it.
And as for philosophers, what use the continual arguments over eg, a concept such as 'plasticity' when some are looking for more practical, down-to-earth help. Mebbe the Stoics didn't get it right with the physical location of the mind, but Stoicism is having a bit of a revival as perhaps a prescriptive power? To live a good life...in every sense. Every day, in every way...are we getting better and better...? To the best.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

The best doctor is an excellent diagnostician. I want him to get to issue the first time, and don't care what he thinks about existence, unless it impacts me.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

I'm glad this forum links to the magazine as well. This way I can have ready access to the articles as well.

Not only physicians, but anyone else as well is benefitted by some background in Philosophy.

Philosophy is essential a pure thinking process which emphasizes correct thinking without falling prey to fallacies.