The Paradox of Empathy

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

The Paradox of Empathy

Post by Philosophy Now »

Ramsey McNabb on knowing how other people feel.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/52/The ... of_Empathy
getclear

Re: The Paradox of Empathy

Post by getclear »

Empathy as a definition has always been perplexing. No one can ever be "other" than themselves. Hence, they can't actually "experience" an "other". Years ago, one would say, I have compassion, which seems a bit more honest than "I have empathy".

Saying "I know how you feel" is a social commentary between individuals. Accuracy or truthfulness isn't the only criteria. "Soothing" is also a component. "I know how you feel" is sometimes motivated by a desire to "soothe" another. Successful or not, that seems to be the intent.

The "paradox" isn't in the word "empathy", the paradox may be in believing that "anyone" can experience "other" than themselves.

To say, "my experience, of what I would feel or be going through if I were you, would be the following", might be the truth, but most won't respond to that as "wow, that makes me feel so much better since I'm not out here alone".

Being the only "one" that can "experience" ourselves is a mental challenge that seems to demand narcissism, but perhaps that isn't factual either.

Perhaps, factually, we are all part of a cosmological system and we experience that in our own unique way, and any expression of "empathy" is merely and expression of our own experience at that moment.
spike

Post by spike »

The paradox of empathy is that it is not entropy, at least as most people imagine it. But entropy does have its paradox. It's not empathy, although some times it appears to be. It's like in quantum physics where somethings is there but maybe isn't. Or it's in two places at once.

But let's look again at the two. Let's focus on the Middle East and its political social climate. Empathy amongst those in the Middle East is poor, thus the increased levels of entropy and disorder there. But if there was an increase in empathy amongst the inhabitants of that part of the world there would be a proportionate decrease in the levels of entropy and thus everything would improve, politically and socially.

As we see, refuges escaping the entropy and disorder of the Middle East are flocking to Europe where there is a higher level of empathy. In comparison to the Middle East European social and political disorder is quite manageable due to its higher levels of empathy.
spike

Post by spike »

The protagonist in the article by Ramsey McNabb is a fool and sounds like a spoiled brat when he lashes out at his acquaintance, who says she knows how he feels in his pain of his father’s death. Instead, he should understand what she means and feels because that is how reasonable people respond. But perhaps he is not a reasonable person.

And that is probably what is at the crux of empathy, reason and reasoning. Reasoning in humans comes through being enlightened. Our protagonist is perhaps not sufficiently enlightened in his manner and scoffing response, to someone who is trying to comfort him.

The Enlightenment is a human/social construct. So is empathy in the way it is used today. Without these fabrications - enlightenment and empathy, common among us, we wouldn't have the socially cohesive world we have today.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Well said Spike. To truly empathise requires one to have experienced something akin to the subject one is empathising for. Unfortunately i have to renew my subs to have a look at the article..eventually wilco.

Its another one of those interesting words in English that i have analysed a little.

EM_PATH_Y.

ME_PATH_Y?

http://www.androcies.com