Morality is a Culturally Conditioned Response

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

artisticsolution

Re: Morality is a Culturally Conditioned Response

Post by artisticsolution »

Arising_uk wrote:
artisticsolution wrote:...
What I am asking is what is our "national interest'? What is our "foreign policy'? Is it just to fuck with the world because we can? What is it?
I don't know!? Its your govt and country. I'm just telling you what some of us see. Not that I can't see good things as well, just in this respect not. My guess is its because you are a multicultural country united under the right to make a dollar and be happy, you need an external fear to make it all make sense. Otherwise I'd guess that it protects the interests of and makes very rich those already rich families that get to wield the power every now and then. Or it could be that you never disassembled the industrial war machine after WWII so you gotta get rid of the surplus somewhere. Theres not a simple answer to such things AS, I wish it were so but thats half the problem with political discourse at present, at least in the media.
Well then...if we don't know how can we be cynical? Maybe there is a good reason? Anyway, I did watch this special a few months ago...it is most frustrating that I can't find it on the net. Any it was about these 2 billionaires. One was from the US...maybe both were from the US...I can't remember...anyway...they had both moved their corporations and their lives to Dubai. They were talking about it being the new frontier type of thing and then they said something bone chilling....something like..."big corporations love when there is war in the middle east...government goes to war here because it is big business...we can all come in an get the contracts to rebuild."

My husband and I just looked at each other like "did you just hear what I heard?" We couldn't believe what we just heard because the billionaires sounded as if this was a normal on the up and up business dealing. Now, if this is as 'moral relativism", I have to say ... give me morality.
John

Post by John »

artisticsolution wrote:
John wrote:
So that's $1.3billion per year in military aid and $55million per year promoting democracy.

Decide for yourself whether you think promoting democracy is the number one priority with Egypt.
I don't see where you got the 55 million figure? USAID says 28.6 billion since 1975. Am I missing something?
From the pdf of the audit report:

"In fiscal year (FY) 2008, U.S. foreign economic assistance to Egypt was valued at $415 million, which included specific programs to promote democracy (valued at $55 million)."

The $28.6 billion also includes other aid projects but the $55 million is specifically for "democracy and governance" projects. You could argue that the other aid programs also support democracy but even if you do the total non-military aid package is still less than the $1.3 billion per annum spent on military aid.
Typist

Post by Typist »

Al-Qaeda was the govt of Afghanistan?
Yes, they had basically bought the Afghan government, who supported the Al-Qaeda agenda anyway.

The Afghan government was given the chance to join the fight against Al-Qaeda and preserve their government. They declined.

This is why I don't reply to some posters, it's just far too tedious and pointless.
Typist

Post by Typist »

I really do like your tenacious spirit. You are fun and interesting to follow around the forum.
Thank you! I appreciate your durability and good cheer spirit, qualities I always enjoy. Even in communists. :lol:
I must admit...I don't always understand what goes through that pretty lil' head of yours all the time.
That makes two of us. I just try to pretty, pretty, pretty, and not worry too much about the rest. Does this post make my butt look big???
For example...I am sure you have replied to this thread without reading the whole article,
You are correct. I feel no obligation to read anything or anybody that doesn't hold my interest. If I felt such an obligation, I'd have to read the entire Internet.
otherwise you see most of your sentiments about moral relativism being a free for all for immorality answered at the end of the article under "living with moral relativism." You should read it...I would be very interested in hearing how you would argue the explanations.
Would you like to summarize the points for us?
Anywhooo, (don't you just hate when people say "anywho"?)
Not when they do it funny like that. Anywhoo, I wish to say anywhoo too too!
Here we are in danger of smugly supposing superiority. Each culture assumes it is in possession of the moral truth.
I understand, there is a point there. I'm just arguing we are also in danger of political correctness and hyper-intellectualism run amuck.

If we want to have civilization people, such as our kids, have to be given guidance on what the rules are. If the guidance is not clear and direct, we should expect less civilization.

An example.

A stop sign means stop. Period. Clear, simple, direct.

A stop sign doesn't mean "You might want to consider stopping here, depending on the circumstances, your cultural values, and Kant's opinion on stop signs, which we invite you to compare to Aristotle's traffic thesis."
You know how when you don't agree with someone's argument you always bring out the "Moral superiority pose" defense as if it's a bad thing? It seems to me that is like making an argument from a militant moral relativist's perspective while you clearly don't hold that position.
I object to the moral superiority pose only when those making the pose aren't morally superior.

As example. Many people claimed to be SO VERY CONCERNED!! by suffering in Iraq during the liberation process.

But they never expressed ANY concern when Saddam was raping the country. The are only interested in the people of Iraq if those people can somehow be used to bash the U.S.

The moral superiority pose in this case is phony, and should be labeled as such.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Typist wrote:...
As example. Many people claimed to be SO VERY CONCERNED!! by suffering in Iraq during the liberation process.

But they never expressed ANY concern when Saddam was raping the country. The are only interested in the people of Iraq if those people can somehow be used to bash the U.S.

The moral superiority pose in this case is phony, and should be labeled as such.
LMFAO! I was protesting and marching about my govts support for Saddam back in the 80's. I doubt you'd even heard of the place and if you had would have supported your govts position, as they saw him as a bulwark against both communism and islamic fundamentalism.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Typist wrote:...Yes, they had basically bought the Afghan government, who supported the Al-Qaeda agenda anyway. ...
You sound like a petulant child. Care to give any evidence for this?
The Afghan government was given the chance to join the fight against Al-Qaeda and preserve their government. They declined.
So you agree! We should have bombed you when you refused to hand over IRA terrorists, funders and sympathizers.
This is why I don't reply to some posters, it's just far too tedious and pointless.
The tea-baggers are waiting for you with open arms or is that legs.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Typist wrote:...Would you like to summarize the points for us? ...
:lol: aphilosophy in action, i.e. pontificating upon an article she's not read. :roll:
Thundril

Post by Thundril »

Typist wrote:Universal authority might be a poor phrase.
OK. Tell me what term you prefer to use to denote 'the source of universal morality'.
Typist wrote:It does seem likely to trigger a theism debate.
Exactly.
Typist wrote:My intent is to declare some things right and wrong in a clear direct unambiguous manner.

As is your right. Go ahead and express your opinion.
Typist wrote: I'm concerned that relativism opens the door to everybody making up their own rules.
So far, whole cultures have usually found ways to settle on generally useful morals. Or maybe ethics. Or at least laws. But different cultures have agreed on different sets of morals, ethics or laws. Which is 'the one'?
Typist wrote:
It's ok for me to rape your daughter, because I'm just expressing urges which were created by nature, and are thus higher than any rule man creates...
And other such nonsense.
Again, is this a quote from an actual moral relativist or one made of straw?
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

T: Does this post make my butt look big???

AS: No...not at all.... :)

T:You are correct. I feel no obligation to read anything or anybody that doesn't hold my interest. If I felt such an obligation, I'd have to read the entire Internet.

AS: But then why do you make an argument against it if you haven't even read it? It would be like me coming in to give my opposing point of view about your computer programing skills and never even opened up a book about programing.

T:Would you like to summarize the points for us?

AS: Well, I think they are pretty straightforward....like beauty tips in a beauty magazine....meaning I can't summarize any more than Jesse Prinz...see:

Living With Moral Relativism

People often resist relativism because they think it has unacceptable implications. Let’s conclude by considering some allegations and responses.

Allegation: Relativism entails that anything goes.

Response: Relativists concede that if you were to inculcate any given set of values, those values would be true for those who possessed them. But we have little incentive to inculcate values arbitrarily. If we trained our children to be ruthless killers, they might kill us or get killed. Values that are completely self-destructive can’t last.

Allegation: Relativism entails that we have no way to criticize Hitler.

Response: First of all, Hitler’s actions were partially based on false beliefs, rather than values (‘scientific’ racism, moral absolutism, the likelihood of world domination). Second, the problem with Hitler was not that his values were false, but that they were pernicious. Relativism does not entail that we should tolerate murderous tyranny. When someone threatens us or our way of life, we are strongly motivated to protect ourselves.

Allegation: Relativism entails that moral debates are senseless, since everyone is right.

Response: This is a major misconception. Many people have overlapping moral values, and one can settle debates by appeal to moral common ground. We can also have substantive debates about how to apply and extend our basic values. Some debates are senseless, however. Committed liberals and conservatives rarely persuade each other, but public debates over policy can rally the base and sway the undecided.

Allegation: Relativism doesn’t allow moral progress.

Response: In one sense this is correct; moral values do not become more true. But they can become better by other criteria. For example, some sets of values are more consistent and more conducive to social stability. If moral relativism is true, morality can be regarded as a tool, and we can think about what we’d like that tool to do for us and revise morality accordingly.

One might summarize these points by saying that relativism does not undermine the capacity to criticize others or to improve one’s own values. Relativism does tell us, however, that we are mistaken when we think we are in possession of the one true morality. We can try to pursue moral values that lead to more fulfilling lives, but we must bear in mind that fulfillment is itself relative, so no single set of values can be designated universally fulfilling. The discovery that relativism is true can help each of us individually by revealing that our values are mutable and parochial. We should not assume that others share our views, and we should recognize that our views would differ had we lived in different circumstances. These discoveries may make us more tolerant and more flexible. Relativism does not entail tolerance or any other moral value, but, once we see that there is no single true morality, we lose one incentive for trying to impose our values on others.

T:If we want to have civilization people, such as our kids, have to be given guidance on what the rules are. If the guidance is not clear and direct, we should expect less civilization.

An example.

A stop sign means stop. Period. Clear, simple, direct.

A stop sign doesn't mean "You might want to consider stopping here, depending on the circumstances, your cultural values, and Kant's opinion on stop signs, which we invite you to compare to Aristotle's traffic thesis."

AS: LOL I agree that we can't expect all of society to study philosophy in order to know right from wrong. But isn't that the same thing Christians want to do with the bible. Wouldn't they just love to make it a law where all people had to read the bible and adhere to it's rules? This isn't the argument the article is making. It is asking how we decide what is moral and what is not...with a healthy dose of tolerance for other people's values.

A stop sign isn't moral. It is a traffic law. There is no morality involved in stopping or not stopping...unless you kill someone by not obeying the law. When cars were invented we needed a way to organize travel in order to make the most sense. We have certain universal laws to keep things moving smoothly. However, some laws are not needed and others are immoral to some people. I think we have too many laws to maintain law and order. We simply cannot police them all. So now you have uneducated police "philosophers" who have to decide which laws to enforce and which ones to allow to happen. Is it any wonder they would choose the easy traffic laws to enforce while looking the other way when your house has been robbed?

I think this article goes deeper into the meaning of morality. However, there are good arguments against moral relativity...it's just that you haven't made them because you haven't read it and understood that the author already debunked most of your points in the article because he took the time to read opposition's views before he took pen to paper. If you had read this you could have formed a more sound argument one that didn't betray your ignorance.

T:But they never expressed ANY concern when Saddam was raping the country. The are only interested in the people of Iraq if those people can somehow be used to bash the U.S.

AS: This is not true of all people. There were people who expressed concern. It is just like now...there are plent of people concerned and voicing their opinion of Darfur. But our government is not doing a thing...I wonder why? Could it be because they have nothing of value to offer us? This is the injustice that liberals see as immoral. But conservatives like you ignore this saying that they don't have time to read everything that doesn't interest them...but then...when their government decides to invade darfur and be "heros"...and then invade the next country and the next country....and liberals shout "Immoral!" Then you guys act as if we are phony and never said a thing about it prior to the US getting involved.

Could it be that you don't remember liberal expressing concern because you don't read any liberal newspapers or watch any liberal news? It's this sentiment below that betrays your lack of understanding:

"I feel no obligation to read anything or anybody that doesn't hold my interest."

AS: It's that statement of your that clearly demonstrates why liberals think conservatives are not well informed. See, liberals are very interested in knowing opposing arguments in order to think intelligently about an entire subject...we actually take in to account that we may be wrong! OMG what a novel idea! Whereas conservatives usually only want to know one narrow aspect of a problem and then make a hasty decision. Why? I don't get it....I mean...if you were trying to add up a bunch of numbers would you want to know the correct solution or would you purposefully leave out a number in order to come to an false solution that you had arbitrarily formed into your head prior to counting? To me this would make no sense. Why even bother to count? Wouldn't it be easier to just go with your arbitrary number?
elfego

Post by elfego »

Oddly, the articles did not appear to present substantial definition of morality.

As is to be fundamentally expected in matters of morality, the articles focused well enough on human behavior. But as so often happens, it was all curiously broad and frankly vague. Rather than coping with such virtually meaningless generality, many of the questions raised would essentially become moot by restricting the topic, or indeed, the very defition of morality simply to individual behavior that directly affects the "well-being" of other individuals. (For a first iteration we might exclude issues that impact persons themselves, or animals.)

As to well-being, this brings up the ever familiar golden-rule -- mainly the "negative" one. (I really can't see a justification for nit-picking the idea of well-being. It's as close to self evident as one can get, where the golden rule puts us well within the realm of understanding the concept.)

I assert that a perfectly good if not perfectly powerful definition of morality is simply behavior that does not violate the individual well-being of other persons, particularly for reasons of self-benefit, and, furthermore, in the best of worlds, inclines toward enhancing the well-being of others. Thereby. most major misgivings and contentions brought up in the month's articles largely fade away.

Finessing the notion of human well-being is a worthy if not mandatory follow up to the above definition, mainly regarding matters of law and government and other societal or communal issues (such as wars, capital punishment, and other albeit not entirely minor matters). Although, of course, highly important, this is secondary to the primary definition.

By the way, notions of preternatural authority in the subject of morality, insofar as also focused on individual human well-being, can serve usefully as enforcement muscle or persuasion for moral behavior. And why not? As long as one steers well away from the Abraham sacrificing Isaac 'who gets to define right or wrong?' religious paradox.

Big trouble does indeed ensue whenever personal favorite spirits are the ultimate source of any authority.
blackbox

Post by blackbox »

I was surprised to read Prinz' statement that "Relativists ... ... believe that conflicting moral beliefs can both be true." In the context (opening paragraph) he seems to equate "true" with correct, as opposed to being mistaken or making a blunder.

But notions like true, correct, mistaken just don't belong in a relativist's sentence. As a moral relativist, how can I claim a moral position is true? Doesn't that require some external compass by which we can say this is true, which contradicts moral relativism?

I think he's describing moral pluralism, not moral relativism. At least in this sentence.
fiveredapples

Post by fiveredapples »

I think the problem is the person who wrote the article. Jesse Prinz didn't write the article.

What makes the article more confusing are the examples the author gives which are supposed to be counter-examples to the claims non-relativists make. They are not good counter-examples.

But, I have a problem when the first example is of two people from the same culture arguing about an ethical matter, and then I'm told that ethical differences are a product of being from different cultures. How narrow is this notion of 'culture' supposed to be?

But even cultural relativists believe in objective moral standards, just not universal ones.
spike

Post by spike »

"We learn the principles of morality from the experience of common day life"

Some cultures have more experience than other. So I would say that the cultures with most experience have the higher moral standards and values. Cultures that have less experience in dealing with others tend be less open and more corrupt.
Platocres

Post by Platocres »

I'd like to make a case against this Moral Relativism.

I believe Sam Harris makes an excellent case for the opposing view, that Moral Values can be Objectively Known. I believe the following Ted Talk goes into the matter roughly equally thoroughly to Prinz's article so I will submit this video as the equal but opposite argument from which I will cite from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww

Prinz states boldly in his article that, "...Reason alone cannot instill new values or settle which values we should have. Reason tells us what is the case, not what ought to be." with reference to reason's ability to answer moral questions. His justification in this paragraph states, "we cannot change basic values by reason alone. Various events in adulthood might be capable of reshaping our inculcated sentiments, including trauma, brainwashing, and immersion in a new community (we have an unconscious tendency towards social conformity)."

He seems to dismiss the whole notion (really, 2 notions, but I'll get there in a minute) fairly easily while Harris starts out his talk by saying, "It's thought that science can help us get what we value, but it can never tell us what we ought to value. I'm going to argue... that the separation between science and human values is an illusion -- and actually quite a dangerous one at this point in human history. Now, it's often said that science cannot give us a foundation for morality and human values, because science deals with facts, and facts and values seem to belong to different spheres. It's often thought that there's no description of the way the world is that can tell us how the world ought to be. But I think this is quite clearly untrue. Values are a certain kind of fact. They are facts about the well-being of conscious creatures." He goes on to make his case further and I think he does a good job of it. If you feel there is a need to call him out on any of his assertions, feel free to.

I think there's something interesting here to point out. Both sides are quite clearly at odds about the notion that a more empirical stance can tell us what we ought to value, however Prinz seems to make a rather large assumption at this particular point in his argument. The first statement at the end of this paragraph in Prinz's article says reason cannot instill new values and the second statement says that reason cannot possibly tell us what to value. These two things are quite different and yet his usage of them in the context of the article seems to infer they have a lot to do with one another. Being able to persuade people of the right set of values to have is quite different in my opinion than whether or not someone can reason what we ought to value. He may be right, we may never be able to persuade people to take on presumably good values using reason, but this isn't a case for moral relativism, because if he's proven this notion it speaks to real, known, reasoned limitations of the human mind. Prinz elsewhere in the article makes the case that people are emotional creatures whose moral compass responds in kind with their emotional states. If he's right about this, this is also not relative, this is a reasoned, empirically justifiable argument. But more than this, he then sets the stage for the case to be made that our emotions are simply a means by which we accept new moral ideas, and by this token it could be said that if this is what it takes to persuade people then so be it, reason won't be what we persuade people WITH, but what we persuade them OF can be reasoned even if the means by which they come to accept it are emotionally based or otherwise. So I don't really see what bearing that whole assertion has to do with anything or why he bothered mentioning it.

The second statement, that reason cannot tell us what to value, I think is poorly justified when compared to the justifications Harris makes in The Moral Landscape. At the very least, Prinz has not delivered the death nail on this idealism and it is still quite open to debate. I know this appears as though I'm focusing on a very small fraction of what Prinz's thoughtful article has to say on all of this, but I think with these two points by and large negated the rest of the article sort of falls apart. These two statements, the first about how we persuade people of their values, and the second about whether or not we can achieve an objective sense of what to value are at the core of whether or not relativism should at all be considered as a worthwhile philosophical perspective. If it cannot be adequately argued against that we can persuade people to have good values, that simply because people of various cultures and nations, etc haven't come to a consensus in the past doesn't mean they can't in the future by different means then this core argument ceases to adequately support the first of the two merits of relativism. If it cannot be adequately argued against that we can objectively come to know, in time, what are and are not good moral values then this core argument also ceases to adequately support the second of the two merits of relativism.
rascho

Post by rascho »

I found Jesse Prinze article “Morality is a Culturally Conditioned Response” fun to read well thought article and an excellent addition to public discourse. But I also found it short on depth, or perhaps avoidance of looking at where it might synthesize with an objectivist viewpoint. In other words, I would agree with that what was presented (if that were the whole picture) and generally find it internally consistent. I do think, though, he took too much a priori inference (presumption) into the nature of personhood. Not that he could present a relativist position without doing so. Everyone must operate on some suppositions. Without accepted beliefs there would be no culture or community. As in the Declaration of Independence, “ We hold these truths to be self-evident…”. I did not see a clear statement of what truth he began with as self-evident. But of course, if one does not see anything as self-evident, then nothing is the foundation of one’s argument. How can an argument then be made?

A problem with his well-presented rational discourse on the strength of relativism lies in the shortcomings of propositional logic as a tool of communication. Every case of a syllogistic argument begins with a ‘given that’ or ‘if’ basis. But the relativist is like joining Forrest Gump while he is running. It seems meaningful. But where Forrest is at and where he is going is not knowable. So it also feels transcendental in one’s subjective experience of knowing.
In Mr. Prinze’s concluding statement:
Relativism does not entail tolerance or any other moral value, but, once we see that there is no single true morality, we lose one incentive for trying to impose our values on others.
… suggests the foundational truth accepted as axiomatic is that there is no single true morality. Logically this fails because we must assert then what we do not believe in order to have social values.

I believe genocide is wrong. I believe life is good; that having it is an inherent goodness. Truth is simply what is. One’s subjective experience of morality may allow for quite a range of different perspectives, but that does not mean it is all relative to nothing. I would argue that there are better and worse values that are rooted in being and a rational respect for being.

Being IS. That there ‘IS’ is an absolute fact. Even if it is all an illusion (perhaps The Matrix style) there still is something. Value is concomitant with being. After that there is a lot relative value in measuring, placing, and identifying being; but it is value firmly fixed relative to it’s being. Understanding being is where we begin. Ergo, religious belief systems, myths and stories to explain the beyond explainable – all of a necessity. It’s not that they are flat out false because science says so. They can and do contain truth about being and being human. And as he rightly points out, there is a myriad of ways to go regarding how someone interprets an ostensible divine source whether scripture or the fantastic dream I had a while back.

The problem with the objectivist viewpoint is that when implemented into practical life we see dead systems based on sets of logical rules that cannot account for the wide variety of permutations that we find in real life. Thus, we see a divergence of law and morality. The vastness of what is, is overwhelming and it becomes notoriously easy to replace simple life with a simplistic life. That does not mean the objectivist viewpoint is also wrong. I just find most objectivists positions also sorely lacking.

I find the relativist argument as throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Life is too hard to understand so we will axiomatically assert it is all relative; that “truth” as a transcendent notion is imaginary but may have utilitarian value. Both relativist and objectivist positions have quit grappling with reality to assert their final conclusions - mistakenly.

Hmm. Faith as a reason doesn’t seem so bad.