Keep Out!

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Keep Out!

Post by Philosophy Now »

Following our recent focus on education, Kristina Pelletier asks why there is no place for philosophy in American public schools.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/65/Keep_Out
Dalek Prime

Re: Keep Out!

Post by Dalek Prime »

According to our Bob, there's no place for public education, period.

Personally, there's not enough critical thinking, even in post-secondary education, let alone public schools. Perhaps the agenda is too heavy on conformity, and parroting accepted thought. And come to think of it, I get the feeling this also happens in the philosophical community itself, chaffing at unpopular opinions and ideas... Get thee behind me, original thought!
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Completely clueless woman!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

HexHammer wrote:Completely clueless woman!
Did you read the article?

If so care to say what you thought was clueless?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

If there was actually use for philosophy, schools would offer it, but it's useless ..therefore schools don't offer it.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

And yet Ireland has put it on the curriculum and some schools in England have introduced it and many are considering also doing so. So maybe not so useless after all.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

HexHammer wrote:If there was actually use for philosophy, schools would offer it, but it's useless ..therefore schools don't offer it.
How unspeakably naive of you.
Why is there no curriculum for questioning authority; for challenging entrenched views; why is there an absence in schools of free thinking; no revolutionary guide books; why no lessons on how to criticise the government?
Why don't you just stick your fucking head in the sand with your arse in the air so that society can continue to but fuck you? I know, because the government to too busy fucking your brain through your eye sockets!
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
HexHammer wrote:If there was actually use for philosophy, schools would offer it, but it's useless ..therefore schools don't offer it.
Why is there no curriculum for questioning authority; for challenging entrenched views; why is there an absence in schools of free thinking; no revolutionary guide books; why no lessons on how to criticise the government?
Why don't you just stick your fucking head in the sand with your arse in the air so that society can continue to but fuck you? I know, because the government to too busy fucking your brain through your eye sockets!
Dear mr Babblehead, get youself a 100k dollar job and we can talk again.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

HexHammer wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Dear mr Babblehead, get youself a 100k dollar job and we can talk again.
You mistake worth for money. I'm sure you know the price of everything and the value of nothing, why not fuck off and pay some more taxes so that smart people can "waste" it teaching art and philosophy on your back?
You fucking joke.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Why is there no curriculum for questioning authority; for challenging entrenched views; why is there an absence in schools of free thinking; no revolutionary guide books; why no lessons on how to criticise the government?
I reckon I can answer this question. Teaching people to do their own thinking might turn them into atheist, egalitarian and environmentally aware people with a well-developed sense of personal morality and a commitment to the betterment of humanity. You know what I mean, Hobbes. Fucking Bolsheviks!!
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Why is there no curriculum for questioning authority; for challenging entrenched views; why is there an absence in schools of free thinking; no revolutionary guide books; why no lessons on how to criticise the government?
I reckon I can answer this question. Teaching people to do their own thinking might turn them into atheist, egalitarian and environmentally aware people with a well-developed sense of personal morality and a commitment to the betterment of humanity. You know what I mean, Hobbes. Fucking Bolsheviks!!
Yes, it was a rhetorical question for mr Hex-nut to consider. I think it went way over his head.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Arising_uk wrote:And yet Ireland has put it on the curriculum and some schools in England have introduced it and many are considering also doing so. So maybe not so useless after all.
Screenshot or it never happened!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Whatever helps you sleep at nights.