Noam Chomsky on Institutional Stupidity

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Noam Chomsky on Institutional Stupidity

Post by Philosophy Now »

In January Noam Chomsky received the Philosophy Now Award for fighting stupidity.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/107/No ... _Stupidity
spike

Re: Noam Chomsky on Institutional Stupidity

Post by spike »

It is amazing how stupid stuff happens all the time in the world and most of us are still here.

Look at the stupid event of an airplane being flown into a mountain by a deranged pilot. Or look at the apartment buildings that blew up in New York City because of a questionable gas connection.

Noam Chomsky is right about institutional stupidity. Nevertheless, he is irritating. He has this superhuman quality of argument that is difficult to rebuttal even though you know it's void of something.
spike

Post by spike »

I was watching a documentary on America's prohibition of alcohol in the 1920s and thought Chomsky would view it as an example of institutional stupidity. That era caused more problems than it was meant to solve. It caused unintended consequences. It caused a crime wave in illicit alcohol and bootlegging. It also caused a major social health scare where people were dying from poisoned alcohol (methanol). Another residual effect was the government losing tax revenue on the sale of alcohol it no longer controlled. In order to make up for the shortfall the American government introduced the income tax.

Nevertheless, during that period there were some positive developments, which in hindsight outweigh the negative results of Prohibition. Because of the crime wave that occurred it enhanced technics and protocols in Criminology. It also furthered the development of a fledging but very important science, Forensics, which medical examiners employ to accurately pinpoint why people die, whether natural or otherwise. This science has been the backbone in criminal investigation and the pursuit of justice. Our modern world could not function without it.

My point is that stupidity is not always as detrimental or damaging as it is made out to be. There are hidden gems in stupid acts. Furthermore, humanity has always developed from doing stupid and irrational things first and then working to correct them. What bothers me about Chomsky is that he's one demential on the issue. He doesn't see beyond stupid acts.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Chomsky is the poster boy for stupidity. This award is an outrage!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

You done anything for science lately?
heehaw

Post by heehaw »

Anyone notice this month's cover is Foucault seemingly facepalming both sides of his head? Appropriate poster boy for the spirit of the awards. :lol:
spike

Post by spike »

Arising_uk wrote:You done anything for science lately?
I wonder what that has to do with anything.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

It points out that whilst Chomsky may be many things stupid is not one of them.
spike

Post by spike »

heehaw wrote:Anyone notice this month's cover is Foucault seemingly facepalming both sides of his head? Appropriate poster boy for the spirit of the awards. :lol:
No, Foucault is covering his ears because he doesn't like what he hears. He and Chomsky didn't get along.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Arising_uk wrote:It points out that whilst Chomsky may be many things stupid is not one of them.
:roll:

I guess it kinda depends on what you mean by 'stupid', innit?

If someone cannot recognize the truth when it is right in front of him, I call that 'stupid'. Why does he oppose those who don't want to be compelled to pay union dues when they are not even members and do not want to join? This is an absurd position.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Melchior wrote:If someone cannot recognize the truth when it is right in front of him, I call that 'stupid'. Why does he oppose those who don't want to be compelled to pay union dues when they are not even members and do not want to join? This is an absurd position.
Depends if they also wish to claim the pay and condition benefits from the collective bargaining agreements.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Arising_uk wrote:
Melchior wrote:If someone cannot recognize the truth when it is right in front of him, I call that 'stupid'. Why does he oppose those who don't want to be compelled to pay union dues when they are not even members and do not want to join? This is an absurd position.
Depends if they also wish to claim the pay and condition benefits from the collective bargaining agreements.
Hah hah hah. The company makes an offer and you either accept it or walk away. I would never join a union or permit one to represent me.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Melchior wrote:Hah hah hah. The company makes an offer and you either accept it or walk away. ...
Nice to be in that position, many aren't.
I would never join a union or permit one to represent me.
You'll be fucked if you work in a job where you may end up needing legal representation then.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Arising_uk wrote:
Melchior wrote:Hah hah hah. The company makes an offer and you either accept it or walk away. ...
Nice to be in that position, many aren't.
I would never join a union or permit one to represent me.
You'll be fucked if you work in a job where you may end up needing legal representation then.
The point is that I should not have to pay dues if I am not a member.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Melchior wrote:The point is that I should not have to pay dues if I am not a member.
Over here you don't, closed-shops were abandoned a long time back.