Is silence language?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is silence language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

For example it's been said that silence implies assent. I've also heard that silence is golden (as sung by The Four Seasons).

What does silence mean to you? Do you need context to understand silence? Why doesn't silence have it's own symbol or notation? What can you add to this discussion?

PhilX 🇺🇸
surreptitious57

Re: Is silence language?

Post by surreptitious57 »

I want to be as silent as possible so I can listen and understand better. And this does not just entail physical silence but mental silence
too. So that when someone is talking to me online [ I do not talk offline ] I am actually listening to them instead of thinking what I am
going to say in response instead. I am getting better at this but there is always room for improvement so I just be patient and let it be
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:09 pm What can you add to this discussion?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Silence?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:... What can you add to this discussion?
Oh! The irony.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:09 pmWhat can you add to this discussion?

(fool stop)
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Q: Is silence language?

A: No, and Yes.

Yes, as a form of silent body language often found in some other areas of nature.

But for the human consciousness, language is a fictional re-presentation of this ever present presentation ( silence)

Without silence there is no language. It is silence that speaks, reads and hears language.

Language is an appearance of silence. Silence is the permanent unchanging essence in which language appears in this conception as conceived by silence conceiving itself.

Viveka

Post by Viveka »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:22 am Q: Is silence language?

A: No, and Yes.

Yes, as a form of silent body language often found in some other areas of nature.

But for the human consciousness, language is a fictional re-presentation of this ever present presentation ( silence)

Without silence there is no language. It is silence that speaks, reads and hears language.

Language is an appearance of silence. Silence is the permanent unchanging essence in which language appears in this conception as conceived by silence conceiving itself.

I love this. :)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Viveka wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 pm
I love this. :)
Good, because now you've said that I think you'll find you are going to get a hell of a lot more of it.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

I recommend "The World of Silence" by Max Picard.

I'm currently reading his book "The Human Face".
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Some people would make more sense if it were.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

You do exist. (You are existence.)

We do not exist as persons. Bodies and minds are myth. Who you really are is the same non-dual reality as who your relatives really are is the same as who your deceased dad really is.

There are not two in reality. As regards consciousness, you as a person are aware because of the non-dual reality.

You can never see your deceased relatives again simply because they exist only as dream characters do.And not even the seer can be seen, so who is there to see other?

You are aware of things as separate entities because of self-ignorance. When you have self knowledge, you still perceive things through your senses and mind but now know that they are not separate.

It is not really meaningful to ask what will it be like to simply be without a body and mind because this is now beyond the realm of words or thought where of we cannot speak, there of we must remain silent.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Are our brains just simply the means by which consciousness manifests itself. We think we produce it but it does not require us to
exist for it can do so entirely independent of us. So does that then mean we have no free will or can we freely think for ourselves