What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 am

Greta wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 am
I'm pretty sure my dog would answer "food".
Woof

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 2653
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Greta » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:17 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 am
Greta wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 am
I'm pretty sure my dog would answer "food".
Woof
Much more subtle, Phil. A meaningful look at me, then to the food dish, maybe accompanied by licking her "lips". The look continues ... and continues ... I look at her ... she shifts her gaze to the food bowl ... I say "Not yet. Soon." ... she puts her head down and looks disappointed ... a few moments later her gaze returns.

If she is desperate she sits on her hind legs and paws you, accompanied by a quiet huffing sound, as though trying to speak. So it's more like "mmmph" than "woof" :lol:

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:17 am

Greta wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 am
I'm pretty sure my dog would be torn between "food", "dinner", "din dins", "brekkie" and "chicken".

I always thought that pterodactyl was a cool word, although that's partly the funky spelling.
I think the latest is there's a connection between dinosaurs and chickens. No wonder why your doggy goes crazy over dinosaurs.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 2653
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Greta » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:24 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:17 am
Greta wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 am
I'm pretty sure my dog would be torn between "food", "dinner", "din dins", "brekkie" and "chicken".

I always thought that pterodactyl was a cool word, although that's partly the funky spelling.
I think the latest is there's a connection between dinosaurs and chickens. No wonder why your doggy goes crazy over dinosaurs.
Chickens and all birds, Phil. Little modern dinos the lot of 'em.

I imagine the first mammals were probably omnivores given the harshness of the time, so baby dinos would no doubt have been more than welcome as a prime source of protein.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:41 am

Greta wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:24 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:17 am
Greta wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 am
I'm pretty sure my dog would be torn between "food", "dinner", "din dins", "brekkie" and "chicken".

I always thought that pterodactyl was a cool word, although that's partly the funky spelling.
I think the latest is there's a connection between dinosaurs and chickens. No wonder why your doggy goes crazy over dinosaurs.
Chickens and all birds, Phil. Little modern dinos the lot of 'em.

I imagine the first mammals were probably omnivores given the harshness of the time, so baby dinos would no doubt have been more than welcome as a prime source of protein.
Getting back on track, I know the sweetest sound in the English language, which unfortunately must remain a trade secret (it wouldn't do Walmart a bit of good btw). It's one of the world's greatest discoveries which I employed for over 20 years.

As far as cats and dogs go, I find them personally to be wonderful creatures. I have too many stories to relate on them and would make a good subject of conversation for another thread.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10519
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Arising_uk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote: "You met him?"

Don't play stupid. Just trying to twist my meaning around
to make it sound different doesn't work. ...
Then I've met him as much as you and this first name stuff doesn't work with Europeans of a certain age.
As far as the rest of what you said, nobody knows why Walmart didn't get established in Germany. Many reasons are possible. You haven't established that you're the one to know why. ...
And the reasons I gave are good one's, you got any different one's?

Why do you think Walmart's management style works in countries like China and Mexico and not in places like Germany and I guarantee France?

That in the UK ASDA wing they don't do this 'chant' as they know or have been told how it'll go down but the hypermarket and discount approach may work because we don;t have a history of hypermarkets and there's only Lidel to compete with in the discount trade and they work by having small lines.
For all we know, Walmart may have learned from their experience and applied what they learned elsewhere. ...
They'd stupid not to learn from their lesson and I look forward to seeing if my words stand if they try the same techniques in France, et al.
If you think you know otherwise, then open your own business and try to compete with them (I would bet on Walmart.
You're the one who says they know good business from bad so why don;t you go show them how it's done. Don't use Dale's tip mind.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:00 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: "You met him?"

Don't play stupid. Just trying to twist my meaning around
to make it sound different doesn't work. ...
Then I've met him as much as you and this first name stuff doesn't work with Europeans of a certain age.
As far as the rest of what you said, nobody knows why Walmart didn't get established in Germany. Many reasons are possible. You haven't established that you're the one to know why. ...
And the reasons I gave are good one's, you got any different one's?

Why do you think Walmart's management style works in countries like China and Mexico and not in places like Germany and I guarantee France?

That in the UK ASDA wing they don't do this 'chant' as they know or have been told how it'll go down but the hypermarket and discount approach may work because we don;t have a history of hypermarkets and there's only Lidel to compete with in the discount trade and they work by having small lines.
For all we know, Walmart may have learned from their experience and applied what they learned elsewhere. ...
They'd stupid not to learn from their lesson and I look forward to seeing if my words stand if they try the same techniques in France, et al.
If you think you know otherwise, then open your own business and try to compete with them (I would bet on Walmart.
You're the one who says they know good business from bad so why don;t you go show them how it's done. Don't use Dale's tip mind.
Just more babble and nonsense from birdbrain.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10519
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Arising_uk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Just more babble and nonsense from birdbrain.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
And the usual nonsense post from you.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:09 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Just more babble and nonsense from birdbrain.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
And the usual nonsense post from you.
So birdbrain says.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:40 pm

Pardon me mods while I go off-topic a bit to address Mr. Know-It-All.

Name the American company that went bankrupt three times before going on to be a major manufacturer in its category. This proves you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch (how did I think up that one? :lol: )

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10519
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Arising_uk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Pardon me mods while I go off-topic a bit to address Mr. Know-It-All.

Name the American company that went bankrupt three times before going on to be a major manufacturer in its category. This proves you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch (how did I think up that one? :lol: )

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
And there's another cultural difference as over here if you go bankrupt it's illegal for you to become a director of another company until you've discharged your debts. A situation that I do think holds the UK back a lot, as does our lack of venture capitalists willing to lose money investing.

You seem to think I'm attacking Walmart and Yankdom per se, I'm not. It would be ridiculous to think Walmart a 'bad' business given it's success but I am pointing out that contrary to what Yanks like you think, American and Americans are not the world. That Walmart works in a place like China just goes to show, to me, how the close the authoritarian mindset is in your country. That or that your workers, like them, have no social safety net so will put up with any old guff to feed themselves. Come to think of it that'll go towards explaining it's success in Mexico as well. :lol:

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:54 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Pardon me mods while I go off-topic a bit to address Mr. Know-It-All.

Name the American company that went bankrupt three times before going on to be a major manufacturer in its category. This proves you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch (how did I think up that one? :lol: )

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
And there's another cultural difference as over here if you go bankrupt it's illegal for you to become a director of another company until you've discharged your debts. A situation that I do think holds the UK back a lot, as does our lack of venture capitalists willing to lose money investing.

You seem to think I'm attacking Walmart and Yankdom per se, I'm not. It would be ridiculous to think Walmart a 'bad' business given it's success but I am pointing out that contrary to what Yanks like you think, American and Americans are not the world. That Walmart works in a place like China just goes to show, to me, how the close the authoritarian mindset is in your country. That or that your workers, like them, have no social safety net so will put up with any old guff to feed themselves. Come to think of it that'll go towards explaining it's success in Mexico as well. :lol:
Many attack Walmart so you make no difference to me in this area. You can't deny Walmart's business success.

Now answer my question I posted just ahead of your post so we may continue discussion.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10519
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Arising_uk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:...
Many attack Walmart so you make no difference to me in this area. You can't deny Walmart's business success. ...
I didn't.
Now answer my question I posted just ahead of your post so we may continue discussion.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Why? It's got bugger all to do with yet another of your trivial posts but with respect to this I'd say it's either the sound of my child laughing or the first noise they make after being born.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘
Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:11 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote:...
Many attack Walmart so you make no difference to me in this area. You can't deny Walmart's business success. ...
I didn't.
Now answer my question I posted just ahead of your post so we may continue discussion.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Why? It's got bugger all to do with yet another of your trivial posts but with respect to this I'd say it's either the sound of my child laughing or the first noise they make after being born.
You lose. Want to try again?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10519
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Arising_uk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:19 pm

How typically mercantile of you.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest