What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:01 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:34 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 pm

You're so full of shit in your speculation. It's not what what you need in regards to salespeople and call center employees. It's prejudiced morons like you that assume the worst about Americans. So far all you've done is spout hot air. Good salespeople will ask you for your permission in how you wish to be addressed so you're not describing the situation correctly. Also sales is based on what you want, not what you need. Plus you wouldn't be getting phone calls you moron if you had your name on a do-not-call list so you're wasting the sales agent's time.

So what's your next excuse?

PhilX 🇺🇸
That's not a call centre (ANOTHER horrible American invention). You are the one who said you are told to keep using the person's name, and I know that call centre personnel are told that they should keep mentioning the customer's name. It's idiotic. I don't ask for their name unless I have a good reason to know it. And there are still some old people around who get offended when some disembodied stranger on the phone keeps using their first name. I don't need them to call me anything actually. Certainly not the yank 'ma'am' either. And it should be against the law everywhere for Americans to teach English, spoken or written, ANYWHERE.
First, trying to politicize my threads won't get you far. That's what we have the political section for, you moron.
Second what's the big deal if Americans invented call centers? It provides jobs for the workers and goods and services for the customers. So how do you wish to be addressed initially? By "Hey you" or by your name? Or are you one of those "old people" who get offended when somebody uses your first name? Another one of your prejudiced suppositions about "old people" which isn't true. The reason why you don't ask for their name is you aren't selling, plain and simple. And it should be the law everywhere for Americans to teach English.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Everything I say is true and you know it. That's why you get so pissed off. Why do they need to call me anything? They don't have to say 'hey you' either. Call centres are artificial jobs. Like 'recruiting agencies' and 'human resources' (awful name that reminds me of 'people farming'). Middle people. An unnecessary evil. They don't create anything. They don't even provide a service. It's all American bullshit.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:46 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:34 pm
That's not a call centre (ANOTHER horrible American invention). You are the one who said you are told to keep using the person's name, and I know that call centre personnel are told that they should keep mentioning the customer's name. It's idiotic. I don't ask for their name unless I have a good reason to know it. And there are still some old people around who get offended when some disembodied stranger on the phone keeps using their first name. I don't need them to call me anything actually. Certainly not the yank 'ma'am' either. And it should be against the law everywhere for Americans to teach English, spoken or written, ANYWHERE.
First, trying to politicize my threads won't get you far. That's what we have the political section for, you moron.
Second what's the big deal if Americans invented call centers? It provides jobs for the workers and goods and services for the customers. So how do you wish to be addressed initially? By "Hey you" or by your name? Or are you one of those "old people" who get offended when somebody uses your first name? Another one of your prejudiced suppositions about "old people" which isn't true. The reason why you don't ask for their name is you aren't selling, plain and simple. And it should be the law everywhere for Americans to teach English.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Everything I say is true and you know it. That's why you get so pissed off. Why do they need to call me anything? They don't have to say 'hey you' either. Call centres are artificial jobs. Like 'recruiting agencies' and 'human resources' (awful name that reminds me of 'people farming'). Middle people. An unnecessary evil. They don't create anything. They don't even provide a service. It's all American bullshit.
I usually expect the opposite when it comes to truth from you. Have you ever worked in a call center? Was it for in-bound or out-bound telemarketing?

PhilX 🇺🇸
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:52 pm

PhilX 🇺🇸
I usually expect the opposite when it comes to truth from you. Have you ever worked in a call center? Was it for in-bound or out-bound telemarketing?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Why ask questions about me when you know I won't answer you? What have I said that isn't true? You must be one of those telemarketing people that everyone 'loves'.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:54 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:52 pm

PhilX 🇺🇸
Why ask questions about me when you know I won't answer you? What have I said that isn't true?
Unless you have a mental block, you know the answer to your question.

PhilX 🇺🇸
vegetariantaxidermy

Doesn't even make sense. Cheerio poppet. :)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Arising, one of my beliefs in philosophy is that people behave similarly all over the world. ...
You'd be wrong then.
You say most Europeans so what entitles you to say that most Europeans would be annoyed (and what do you mean by an European anyway?) ...
The UK and those who live on the western part of the European continent. I say this because Europeans are still pretty formal about such things so strangers calling you by your first name is impolite to say the least.
Are you generalizing on the basis of how you feel for yourself? (I'm sure Mr. Carnegie has studied this thoroughly throughout his life and just wouldn't be saying what he said). ...
I'd have thought he bases his opinions upon Americans.
To ask you Arising, does it bother you to hear someone say your name?
Not if I have given it to them but yes it would bother me if some salesperson used my first name repeatedly if I haven't given them permission as I'm not their friend.
p.s.
"Plop!"
Philosophy Explorer

Arising said:

"Not if I have given it to them but yes it would bother me if some salesperson used my first name repeatedly if I haven't given them permission as I'm not their friend."

Since that is your given name, then it can be used for identification. Your objection is the name being used on an informal basis without your permission.

To me it doesn't matter either way because names slow down the sales process. I have tons of evidence to back me up. I stopped using names years ago.

PhilX 🇺🇸

PS Pffffft
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Since that is your given name, then it can be used for identification. ...
By the police maybe but not by a salesman to address me it can't.
Your objection is the name being used on an informal basis without your permission. ...
Er! Was that not what I said? I know that Americans don't mind such stuff but by and large older Europeans do. For example in France they still have "tu" and "vous" and most European countries have equivalents. In Asia I suspect the social constraints would be even stronger about such matters.
To me it doesn't matter either way because names slow down the sales process. I have tons of evidence to back me up. I stopped using names years ago.
When I hear 'sales process' I tend to hear 'trying to sell crap no-one really needs or wants'.
PhilX 🇺🇸

PS Pffffft
I'd have thought that an abbreviation rather than a word?
Philosophy Explorer

Arising said:

"When I hear 'sales process' I tend to hear 'trying to sell crap no-one really needs or wants."

I have a story that relates to this. Years ago this place came out with a new fertilizer on the market. They called it CC-84. Sales were disappointing and it was about to be removed from the market. Then somebody came up with the idea to change the name to Kricket Krap. Sales quadrupled (you can look this up from the internet).

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:54 pm Arising said:

"When I hear 'sales process' I tend to hear 'trying to sell crap no-one really needs or wants."

I have a story that relates to this. Years ago this place came out with a new fertilizer on the market. They called it CC-84. Sales were disappointing and it was about to be removed from the market. Then somebody came up with the idea to change the name to Kricket Krap. Sales quadrupled (you can look this up from the internet).

PhilX
Arising is right. Walmart failed in Germany because Germans couldn't stand all the phony 'have a nice day' crap and faux 'conversations' with checkout staff (or is that 'crew' :roll: ). I mean seriously. Does anyone think they really want to know what kind of day/weekend/plans you have had/have planned, how you are today, or if it's any of their business? I feel sorry for them being forced to do that.
Philosophy Explorer

Looked up Walmart and picked the top article.

It seems nobody knows why Walmart failed in Germany.
The story's an interesting read:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/940542

PhilX 🇺🇸
vegetariantaxidermy

Would that be the American Huffpost?

''One issue was the chanting. Walmart employees are required to start their shifts by engaging in group chants and stretching exercises, a practice intended to build morale and instill loyalty. Fiendish as it sounds, Walmart employees are required to stand in formation and chant, “WALMART! WALMART! WALMART!” while performing synchronized group calisthenics.''

It's even worse than I thought. What on earth is WRONG with you people?? Is this satirical, from the Onion?
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:22 pm Would that be the American Huffpost?

''One issue was the chanting. Walmart employees are required to start their shifts by engaging in group chants and stretching exercises, a practice intended to build morale and instill loyalty. Fiendish as it sounds, Walmart employees are required to stand in formation and chant, “WALMART! WALMART! WALMART!” while performing synchronized group calisthenics.''

It's even worse than I thought. What on earth is WRONG with you people?? Is this satirical, from the Onion?
In Best Buy, they also have their group cheer and they do well. As I said, nobody knows why Walmart didn't gain a foothold in Germany.

PhilX 🇺🇸
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:42 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:22 pm Would that be the American Huffpost?

In Best Buy, they also have their group cheer and they do well. As I said, nobody knows why Walmart didn't gain a foothold in Germany.

PhilX 🇺🇸
They do. It's because Germans don't like phony crap and poor quality, shitty merchandise. I'm sure it also made the Germans uncomfortable when they recognised their own behaviour under the Nazis, with the mob chants and brainless allegiance and obedience. When the Best Buy drones do their 'group cheer' do they also salute, weep and pledge undying loyalty to their great corporate godmaster: Big Business Profit?
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:33 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:42 pm

PhilX 🇺🇸
They do. It's because Germans don't like phony crap and poor quality, shitty merchandise. I'm sure it also made the Germans uncomfortable when they recognised their own behaviour under the Nazis, with the mob chants and brainless allegiance and obedience. When the Best Buy drones do their 'group cheer' do they also salute, weep and pledge undying loyalty to their great corporate godmaster: Big Business Profit?
There are many reasons why a business can fail which is why they can easily fail without even knowing why. I bet you don't have business experience and simply reading about it isn't going to give you answers. I've worked the front lines and know the difference between good and bad business.

PhilX 🇺🇸