How many fingers do I have?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: How many fingers do I have?

Post by commonsense »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
commonsense wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Can you give examples of preassigned numbers that don't have a value?
PhilX
I will try to, but first I need to understand what you mean by "preassigned numbers". Would you please clarify for me?
Sure. Those are numbers you haven't assigned values to.

PhilX
All numbers will have values, but their values are unknown variables until their values are fixed (assigned).
In other words, any number that hasn't been assigned a value is an example of a number that doesn't have a value.
Examples would be 1,2,3...n, where n = any number greater than 3.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

This is my online dictionary's definition for number:

"an arithmetical value, expressed by a word, symbol, or figure, representing a particular quantity and used in counting and making calculations and for showing order in a series or for identification."
'she dialed the number carefully'

In our base 10 number system, there are 10 digits with preassigned values with other numbers derived by arithmetic. Your example implicitly brings up other numbers beyond three and these are numbers known to us by the rules of arithmetic.

PhilX
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:This is my online dictionary's definition for number:

"an arithmetical value, expressed by a word, symbol, or figure, representing a particular quantity and used in counting and making calculations and for showing order in a series or for identification."
'she dialed the number carefully'

In our base 10 number system, there are 10 digits with preassigned values with other numbers derived by arithmetic. Your example implicitly brings up other numbers beyond three and these are numbers known to us by the rules of arithmetic.

PhilX
I'll concede for now. Thank you for carrying this discussion to a real conclusion.

BTW, I just found a discussion in the Philosophy of Mathematics forum, similar to, but more esoteric than, our give and take. It seems there's no agreement as to whether .999 = 1 or not. Fascinating. Perhaps we have not reached a conclusion here after all.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:It's not ten. I've checked the etymologies and definitions of both finger and thumb so my answer is eight fingers and two thumbs.

PhilX
How many fingers would you like?
Philosophy Explorer

A_Seagull wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:It's not ten. I've checked the etymologies and definitions of both finger and thumb so my answer is eight fingers and two thumbs.

PhilX
As many as I have now.

PhilX
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

A_Seagull wrote:

PhilX
As many as I have now.

PhilX
And how many is that?
Philosophy Explorer

A_Seagull wrote:
A_Seagull wrote: