Apologies

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot
Posts: 3142
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 am

Re: Apologies

Post by uwot » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:02 am

Greta wrote:U, you really must apologise after clobbering an old grump with his zimmer frame. It's the right thing to do.
Well, according to some, an explanation of why you clobbered the old grump is all that is required.

Walker
Posts: 4021
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Apologies

Post by Walker » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:56 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Walker wrote: Well then, did you really call the old pensioner a bleeding liar to his face?
No. I grabbed his zimmer-frame and bashed him over the head with it.
The two examples provided (Greta & VT) are about situations of experiencing unfairness, or injustice.

A greater depth lies in understanding the act of wronging.

Since you can’t read the mind of the old one you abused ( :wink: don’t pay attention to that, just ignore it), then for a greater depth of understanding the nature of apology, shift attention to the times you were a little snot, and worse.

Is the habitual energy/emotion association the same for wronging, as for being wronged?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6014
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Apologies

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Walker wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Walker wrote: Well then, did you really call the old pensioner a bleeding liar to his face?
No. I grabbed his zimmer-frame and bashed him over the head with it.
The two examples provided (Greta & VT) are about situations of experiencing unfairness, or injustice.

A greater depth lies in understanding the act of wronging.

Since you can’t read the mind of the old one you abused ( :wink: don’t pay attention to that, just ignore it), then for a greater depth of understanding the nature of apology, shift attention to the times you were a little snot, and worse.

Is the habitual energy/emotion association the same for wronging, as for being wronged?
I must say, you can be funny and quite wise when you aren't god-bothering.

User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 2108
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Apologies

Post by Lacewing » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:47 am

I want to apologize for my part in feeding trolls and/or acting like a troll, myself. I realize it is an unhealthy addiction that I need to step away from. I hope you will support me in my recovery program. :D If I slip back into it, please feel free to point it out to me... understanding that I may curse at you. The pull is strong. There is a natural desire to try to make sense of the senseless... but beliefs and patterns are rooted deep, and they often snap off before you can dig out the whole root, so then they just come back... sometimes more abundant than before. :D I've known for awhile that these are not the gardens I belong in.

I will try to focus my energy on more productive topics... instead of slipping into the wormholes of repetitive insanity.

I do reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow, and ignore all of this that I've just said. But at the moment, I really mean it. 8)

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4198
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: Apologies

Post by Dalek Prime » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:02 am

Lacewing wrote:I want to apologize for my part in feeding trolls and/or acting like a troll, myself. I realize it is an unhealthy addiction that I need to step away from. I hope you will support me in my recovery program. :D If I slip back into it, please feel free to point it out to me... understanding that I may curse at you. The pull is strong. There is a natural desire to try to make sense of the senseless... but beliefs and patterns are rooted deep, and they often snap off before you can dig out the whole root, so then they just come back... sometimes more abundant than before. :D I've known for awhile that these are not the gardens I belong in.

I will try to focus my energy on more productive topics... instead of slipping into the wormholes of repetitive insanity.

I do reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow, and ignore all of this that I've just said. But at the moment, I really mean it. 8)
Troll alert! :wink: :lol:

uwot
Posts: 3142
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 am

Re: Apologies

Post by uwot » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:19 am

Lacewing wrote:I want to apologize for my part in feeding trolls and/or acting like a troll, myself.
That's one way to get a thread deleted.

Walker
Posts: 4021
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Apologies

Post by Walker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:38 am

Lacewing wrote:I want to apologize for my part in feeding trolls and/or acting like a troll, myself. I realize it is an unhealthy addiction that I need to step away from. I hope you will support me in my recovery program. :D If I slip back into it, please feel free to point it out to me... understanding that I may curse at you. The pull is strong. There is a natural desire to try to make sense of the senseless... but beliefs and patterns are rooted deep, and they often snap off before you can dig out the whole root, so then they just come back... sometimes more abundant than before. :D I've known for awhile that these are not the gardens I belong in.

I will try to focus my energy on more productive topics... instead of slipping into the wormholes of repetitive insanity.

I do reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow, and ignore all of this that I've just said. But at the moment, I really mean it. 8)
Contrition is personal and tested by time, not intention. Time will tell the truth and sincerity of this apology tale and whether it be a recognition of reality, or fantasy.

User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 2108
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Apologies

Post by Lacewing » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:55 pm

I don't know if my reference to troll-like behavior is actually what most people consider troll-like. When I engage with people who are just spewing crazy-ass shit for attention, it's because I see it as "low hanging fruit". It doesn't take much effort to engage with... it can be funny and creative... and sometimes it might even let me blow off some steam -- which are good qualities while I'm in the midst of working on other things. But...

(a) I don't want to destroy people. I'm just seeking/urging explanation/recognition of how obviously obnoxious or stupid we might be sometimes.

(b) I don't want to encourage the continuation of such behavior by engaging with it. But then I see that Arising always responds to it... and well, why should he have all the fun? :)

So that's how I see myself feeding trolls (who are disruptive and mindless in a quest for attention), and then perhaps becoming a troll myself by interacting.

Rabid theists are a whole different animal. Since there can never be a genuine and open-minded interaction with such a beast, because its agenda is all about continually feeding and elevating itself, they must be avoided too... as discussions will only go 'round and 'round in intoxicated rigidity.

So what does that leave? The rare gems of thoughtful and respectful discourse on this site that aren't mired in mindless self-absorption and/or religious furor and ego... do they have a chance or spark interest? Is this simply a reflection of what the majority of our world consists of? Do we make it better or worse by participating/engaging?

sthitapragya
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Re: Apologies

Post by sthitapragya » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Lacewing wrote:I don't know if my reference to troll-like behavior is actually what most people consider troll-like. When I engage with people who are just spewing crazy-ass shit for attention, it's because I see it as "low hanging fruit". It doesn't take much effort to engage with... it can be funny and creative... and sometimes it might even let me blow off some steam -- which are good qualities while I'm in the midst of working on other things. But...

(a) I don't want to destroy people. I'm just seeking/urging explanation/recognition of how obviously obnoxious or stupid we might be sometimes.

(b) I don't want to encourage the continuation of such behavior by engaging with it. But then I see that Arising always responds to it... and well, why should he have all the fun? :)

So that's how I see myself feeding trolls (who are disruptive and mindless in a quest for attention), and then perhaps becoming a troll myself by interacting.

Rabid theists are a whole different animal. Since there can never be a genuine and open-minded interaction with such a beast, because its agenda is all about continually feeding and elevating itself, they must be avoided too... as discussions will only go 'round and 'round in intoxicated rigidity.

So what does that leave? The rare gems of thoughtful and respectful discourse on this site that aren't mired in mindless self-absorption and/or religious furor and ego... do they have a chance or spark interest? Is this simply a reflection of what the majority of our world consists of? Do we make it better or worse by participating/engaging?
Anything done to make the world a better place is usually a bad idea, so you are fine if you don't think about it. I would also say that even the worst troll can teach us something. Usually it is what not to do. And sometimes simply engaging with people gives us a mirror to ourselves. If we learn from it, then great.

I think introspection is a part of philosophy which is overlooked and underrated. Debate and engagement can really help us study ourselves. And that, to me, is also philosophy. In fact, more so than most other philosophies.

User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 2108
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Apologies

Post by Lacewing » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:22 pm

sthitapragya wrote:Anything done to make the world a better place is usually a bad idea, so you are fine if you don't think about it. I would also say that even the worst troll can teach us something. Usually it is what not to do. And sometimes simply engaging with people gives us a mirror to ourselves. If we learn from it, then great.

I think introspection is a part of philosophy which is overlooked and underrated. Debate and engagement can really help us study ourselves. And that, to me, is also philosophy. In fact, more so than most other philosophies.
All of your points make sense to me!! :D It is difficult to discuss introspection because so many are eager to jump on a person like a bunch of screaming monkeys when they do. But to hear someone inquire into themselves is such a beautiful thing... like a "god" curiously asking "what am I"... rather than proclaiming "here's what I am"!! Asking feels unlimited... proclaiming does not. That's why proclaiming seems (to me) to be of the world of man.

Walker
Posts: 4021
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Apologies

Post by Walker » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:41 pm

Lacewing wrote:I don't know if my reference to troll-like behavior is actually what most people consider troll-like. When I engage with people who are just spewing crazy-ass shit for attention, it's because I see it as "low hanging fruit". It doesn't take much effort to engage with... it can be funny and creative... and sometimes it might even let me blow off some steam -- which are good qualities while I'm in the midst of working on other things. But...

(a) I don't want to destroy people. I'm just seeking/urging explanation/recognition of how obviously obnoxious or stupid we might be sometimes.

(b) I don't want to encourage the continuation of such behavior by engaging with it. But then I see that Arising always responds to it... and well, why should he have all the fun? :)

So that's how I see myself feeding trolls (who are disruptive and mindless in a quest for attention), and then perhaps becoming a troll myself by interacting.

Rabid theists are a whole different animal. Since there can never be a genuine and open-minded interaction with such a beast, because its agenda is all about continually feeding and elevating itself, they must be avoided too... as discussions will only go 'round and 'round in intoxicated rigidity.

So what does that leave? The rare gems of thoughtful and respectful discourse on this site that aren't mired in mindless self-absorption and/or religious furor and ego... do they have a chance or spark interest? Is this simply a reflection of what the majority of our world consists of? Do we make it better or worse by participating/engaging?
This gives a sense of whirling around or walking fast on a treadmill.

So I must ask with with wide-eyed sincerity to seek an honest straight answer plainly spoken, for what purpose all this action requiring thought and movement of fingers?

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 2653
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Apologies

Post by Greta » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Walker, she's talking about laziness. Messin' around with trolls because it's easy and a lark as opposed to applying the brain to complex ideas.

Most have done this at some stage. Tired. You see a tract of text that looks something like this:
humanism idealism relativism epicureanism atheism determinism fideism indeterminism materialism idealism objectivism pragmatism anthropomorphism empiricism monism nihilism rationalism solipsism theism subjective idealism dualism realism thomism foundationalism absolutism agnosticism hedonism skepticism altruism pluralism aristotelianism deism existentialism pantheism platonism absurdism augustinianism naturalism ...


... and look for something simpler ...

User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 2108
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Apologies

Post by Lacewing » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Walker wrote:This gives a sense of whirling around or walking fast on a treadmill.

So I must ask with with wide-eyed sincerity to seek an honest straight answer plainly spoken, for what purpose all this action requiring thought and movement of fingers?
I don't know why you get the sense that you do. Your sense of things never seems to match mine! :mrgreen:

I felt inspired to contemplate and share what I did, simply because it's the thoughtful truth about my experience and involvement here. And sometimes there's value in voicing such things (for myself, as well as anyone inclined to gain value from it). There is no whirling or treadmill... and I feel fine. :D

Walker
Posts: 4021
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Apologies

Post by Walker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:25 pm

Lacewing wrote:
Walker wrote:This gives a sense of whirling around or walking fast on a treadmill.

So I must ask with with wide-eyed sincerity to seek an honest straight answer plainly spoken, for what purpose all this action requiring thought and movement of fingers?
I don't know why you get the sense that you do. Your sense of things never seems to match mine! :mrgreen:

I felt inspired to contemplate and share what I did, simply because it's the thoughtful truth about my experience and involvement here. And sometimes there's value in voicing such things (for myself, as well as anyone inclined to gain value from it). There is no whirling or treadmill... and I feel fine. :D
Honest, check. Straight, check. Plainly spoken, check. Thank you.

Is there another “value in voicing such things” other than formulating a concept or principle to be applied to future events that one thinks are similar to events that gave shape to the principle?

If no, then applying principles to unfolding reality can in fact obscure with preconceptions the one-of-a-kind uniqueness that is always the present moment.

If so, then we can say that true principles accurately predict the events of unfolding reality. We can say that Hourglass is a sound pick for the daily double in the seventh because she’s a mudrunner and skies are gray.

Walker
Posts: 4021
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Apologies

Post by Walker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:26 pm

Greta wrote:Walker, she's talking about laziness. Messin' around with trolls because it's easy and a lark as opposed to applying the brain to complex ideas.

Most have done this at some stage. Tired. You see a tract of text that looks something like this:
humanism idealism relativism epicureanism atheism determinism fideism indeterminism materialism idealism objectivism pragmatism anthropomorphism empiricism monism nihilism rationalism solipsism theism subjective idealism dualism realism thomism foundationalism absolutism agnosticism hedonism skepticism altruism pluralism aristotelianism deism existentialism pantheism platonism absurdism augustinianism naturalism ...


... and look for something simpler ...
The Ism baubles merely adorn effortless simplicity.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests