Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Walker » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:21 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Maybe not today in this screwed up rendition of the USA, but once you could use proper 'clinical' terms to describe the human reproductive system. At least they did in my high school. But then the early 70's were 'the' days! Not to slight the 60's by any means! Times, they are a changing, and not necessarily for the better! Whenever the 'facts' of life are avoided, it makes at least some of Freud's ideas absolutely correct! When mankind is ashamed of/denies the facts of his existence, he has a very serious problem.
It seems to me that kids of all ages have a personal interest in the ability to name the various parts of their own bodies. Calling a vagina a tootoo or some other ridiculous euphemism is absurdly prurient.
The piece of art in question is, even for 8th graders, obvious an image of a vulva or vagina. And the eighth grades is a really good time for kids to understand the sexualised world in preparation for the time when they themselves face puberty. If this does not happen the result is ignorance and sexual repression which makes kids more vulnerable to abuse from adults. Knowledge is power and all kids need to know what it means when uncle Ernie takes them behind the garden shed and shows them his willy-winky.
Ignorance is not bliss but an impediment to safety.
But in contradiction to your theories, your teacher was teaching what she considered to be perversion, by her own words and definition. To the children. Though she did follow it up with ha ha ha. Or maybe that was hoohah hoohah. Anyway, here’s what she said that got her canned.


“Imagine walking into a gallery when [O’Keeffe] was first showing her pieces, and thinking, ‘Am I actually seeing vaginas here, am I a pervert? I’m either a pervert or this woman was a pervert,’” Wint recalls saying, as the Detroit Free Press reports. The class of 25 students laughed, of course.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:55 am

Walker wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Maybe not today in this screwed up rendition of the USA, but once you could use proper 'clinical' terms to describe the human reproductive system. At least they did in my high school. But then the early 70's were 'the' days! Not to slight the 60's by any means! Times, they are a changing, and not necessarily for the better! Whenever the 'facts' of life are avoided, it makes at least some of Freud's ideas absolutely correct! When mankind is ashamed of/denies the facts of his existence, he has a very serious problem.
It seems to me that kids of all ages have a personal interest in the ability to name the various parts of their own bodies. Calling a vagina a tootoo or some other ridiculous euphemism is absurdly prurient.
The piece of art in question is, even for 8th graders, obvious an image of a vulva or vagina. And the eighth grades is a really good time for kids to understand the sexualised world in preparation for the time when they themselves face puberty. If this does not happen the result is ignorance and sexual repression which makes kids more vulnerable to abuse from adults. Knowledge is power and all kids need to know what it means when uncle Ernie takes them behind the garden shed and shows them his willy-winky.
Ignorance is not bliss but an impediment to safety.
But in contradiction to your theories, your teacher was teaching what she considered to be perversion, by her own words and definition. To the children. Though she did follow it up with ha ha ha. Or maybe that was hoohah hoohah. Anyway, here’s what she said that got her canned.


“Imagine walking into a gallery when [O’Keeffe] was first showing her pieces, and thinking, ‘Am I actually seeing vaginas here, am I a pervert? I’m either a pervert or this woman was a pervert,’” Wint recalls saying, as the Detroit Free Press reports. The class of 25 students laughed, of course.
I see nothing wrong with here statement.
Taken as one statement out of the context of a whole lesson only a moron could condemn her for making that statement. Laughter is not a crime, and neither is humour.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:57 am


Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Walker » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote: It seems to me that kids of all ages have a personal interest in the ability to name the various parts of their own bodies. Calling a vagina a tootoo or some other ridiculous euphemism is absurdly prurient.
The piece of art in question is, even for 8th graders, obvious an image of a vulva or vagina. And the eighth grades is a really good time for kids to understand the sexualised world in preparation for the time when they themselves face puberty. If this does not happen the result is ignorance and sexual repression which makes kids more vulnerable to abuse from adults. Knowledge is power and all kids need to know what it means when uncle Ernie takes them behind the garden shed and shows them his willy-winky.
Ignorance is not bliss but an impediment to safety.
But in contradiction to your theories, your teacher was teaching what she considered to be perversion, by her own words and definition. To the children. Though she did follow it up with ha ha ha. Or maybe that was hoohah hoohah. Anyway, here’s what she said that got her canned.


“Imagine walking into a gallery when [O’Keeffe] was first showing her pieces, and thinking, ‘Am I actually seeing vaginas here, am I a pervert? I’m either a pervert or this woman was a pervert,’” Wint recalls saying, as the Detroit Free Press reports. The class of 25 students laughed, of course.
Hobbes Choice wrote:I see nothing wrong with here statement.
Taken as one statement out of the context of a whole lesson only a moron could condemn her for making that statement. Laughter is not a crime, and neither is humour.
Hobbes you’re all over the map like a staggering drunk looking for shelter.

You’re correct. Laughter is not a crime.

You’re correct. Humor is not a crime.

In fact, teachers know that laughter and humor engage the attention of students. When attention is engaged the lesson is remembered within the context of whatever else is going on.

As you mention, some people such as yourself do condemn. You call these people morons.

However, the school terminated her employment officially, not through condemnation.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:57 pm

Walker wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: It seems to me that kids of all ages have a personal interest in the ability to name the various parts of their own bodies. Calling a vagina a tootoo or some other ridiculous euphemism is absurdly prurient.
The piece of art in question is, even for 8th graders, obvious an image of a vulva or vagina. And the eighth grades is a really good time for kids to understand the sexualised world in preparation for the time when they themselves face puberty. If this does not happen the result is ignorance and sexual repression which makes kids more vulnerable to abuse from adults. Knowledge is power and all kids need to know what it means when uncle Ernie takes them behind the garden shed and shows them his willy-winky.
Ignorance is not bliss but an impediment to safety.
But in contradiction to your theories, your teacher was teaching what she considered to be perversion, by her own words and definition. To the children. Though she did follow it up with ha ha ha. Or maybe that was hoohah hoohah. Anyway, here’s what she said that got her canned.


“Imagine walking into a gallery when [O’Keeffe] was first showing her pieces, and thinking, ‘Am I actually seeing vaginas here, am I a pervert? I’m either a pervert or this woman was a pervert,’” Wint recalls saying, as the Detroit Free Press reports. The class of 25 students laughed, of course.
Hobbes Choice wrote:I see nothing wrong with here statement.
Taken as one statement out of the context of a whole lesson only a moron could condemn her for making that statement. Laughter is not a crime, and neither is humour.
Hobbes you’re all over the map like a staggering drunk looking for shelter.

You’re correct. Laughter is not a crime.

You’re correct. Humor is not a crime.

In fact, teachers know that laughter and humor engage the attention of students. When attention is engaged the lesson is remembered within the context of whatever else is going on.

As you mention, some people such as yourself do condemn. You call these people morons.

However, the school terminated her employment officially, not through condemnation.
If you want to counter an argument, you have to engage with what has been said, then respond with something new.
Acting like a shit-throwing baboon is not a response I need to answer.

Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Walker » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:37 pm

Just factually responding to your words and imaginings, old Sport.

Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Walker » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Don't blame Shakespeare. He was a playwright and poet.

:lol:

Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Walker » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Certainly in the United States or another intelligent situation the words of a competent art-history teacher are allowed. Art touches hearts and touched hearts orchestrate history. Evidently from her work and life O’Keefe was cast into the Land of Enchantment. For an art-history teacher to help the ‘lil chillen see into the past through the window of art, to see the work that was O’Keefe’s and others’ creative response to their environments … work that had the societal pragmatic function of appealing to senses including mind, helps to educate the little ankle nippers in their own fast-changing times of distraction from what’s really important. :wink:

- No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity.

*

In fact, you can say that without a governor (4a), an energized life is like a runaway train.

RUNAWAY TRAIN
Trevor Jones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vhMFxAbpBI

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sun May 01, 2016 12:46 pm

Walker wrote:Certainly in the United States or another intelligent ...
Do you think that what you type is some sort of contribution to the thread, as if it made any sense?

Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Walker » Sun May 01, 2016 3:45 pm

Keep at it. You’ll find the thread that goes other than where you've been.

You can’t go around. You gots to go through, Man.
HC wrote:If you want to counter an argument, you have to engage with what has been said, then respond with something new.
Acting like a shit-throwing baboon is not a response I need to answer.
"Miracle My Ass" in 30 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23hSJXiQ_xA

:shock: :lol:

btw: Someone wrote on this forum that you’re a bot, don’t remember who or where. Is that true or is that a method?

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sun May 01, 2016 10:56 pm

Walker wrote:Keep at it. You’ll find the thread that goes other than where you've been.

You can’t go around. You gots to go through, Man.
HC wrote:If you want to counter an argument, you have to engage with what has been said, then respond with something new.
Acting like a shit-throwing baboon is not a response I need to answer.
"Miracle My Ass" in 30 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23hSJXiQ_xA

:shock: :lol:

btw: Someone wrote on this forum that you’re a bot, don’t remember who or where. Is that true or is that a method?

Do you think that what you type is some sort of contribution to the thread, as if it made any sense?

Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Walker » Mon May 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Walker wrote:Keep at it. You’ll find the thread that goes other than where you've been.

You can’t go around. You gots to go through, Man.
HC wrote:If you want to counter an argument, you have to engage with what has been said, then respond with something new.
Acting like a shit-throwing baboon is not a response I need to answer.
"Miracle My Ass" in 30 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23hSJXiQ_xA

:shock: :lol:

btw: Someone wrote on this forum that you’re a bot, don’t remember who or where. Is that true or is that a method?

Do you think that what you type is some sort of contribution to the thread, as if it made any sense?
I think that film was Voight’s best piece of work and worth philosophical consideration.

How bot you?

User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5087
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Metamorphic Elemental

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Fri May 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Here is the Vagina in question.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... baf3f0.jpg
I dislike this type of art for the very reason that it's subject matter is left up to what one interprets it is. What, are we being interviewed by a psychologist/psychiatrist with ink blots? To me it's crap art that at least I'd never want to teach anyone about. Though to me there's nothing wrong with anyone seeing whatever they want to see in it. Unless with every piece of art shown one says, "I see myself killing things," because then you've got a problem. Or should I say, "they do!" Off to the shrinks they go!

Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Walker » Sat May 07, 2016 7:04 am

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Here is the Vagina in question.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... baf3f0.jpg
I dislike this type of art for the very reason that it's subject matter is left up to what one interprets it is. What, are we being interviewed by a psychologist/psychiatrist with ink blots? To me it's crap art that at least I'd never want to teach anyone about. Though to me there's nothing wrong with anyone seeing whatever they want to see in it. Unless with every piece of art shown one says, "I see myself killing things," because then you've got a problem. Or should I say, "they do!" Off to the shrinks they go!
I’ll explain the self-evident, since you don’t get it.

If a train does not have a governor to throttle it back, it will accelerate and crash. Like the unstoppable locomotive force in the collaborative masterpiece work of art created under the guidance of a vision, which is the film Runaway Train.

If a man does not have a governor, he will accelerate and crash like the train. Like Manny. The main character in the masterpiece and work of art, which is the film Runaway Train.

If an art teacher doesn’t have a governor on her mouth, society will provide one. And did. The course was art history, the teacher's lesson is quoted above in a previous posting.

It’s the nature of human life. Though societies change they do serve to govern action when the human does not, according to the standards of the particular society.

Good odds the former teacher is an activist, for whatever reason. Making a point, for someone.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Mind you language in the land of Bob Evenson.

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat May 07, 2016 1:42 pm

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Here is the Vagina in question.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... baf3f0.jpg
I dislike this type of art for the very reason that it's subject matter is left up to what one interprets it is. What, are we being interviewed by a psychologist/psychiatrist with ink blots? To me it's crap art that at least I'd never want to teach anyone about. Though to me there's nothing wrong with anyone seeing whatever they want to see in it. Unless with every piece of art shown one says, "I see myself killing things," because then you've got a problem. Or should I say, "they do!" Off to the shrinks they go!
I used to agree with that now I don't really care so much. But I do not think that this piece of art is ambiguous as you suggest.
There is a role for this sort of thing - it is away to challenge entrenched views about sexuality for one thing. I hate fig leaves.

What do you think of these?
http://www.needtoconsume.com/wp-content ... eroto8.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... d8cea0.jpg

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests