What's in a Name?....

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Scott Mayers

What's in a Name?....

Post by Scott Mayers »

Besides the obvious nature of one's genetic, atmospheric, or fiscal inheritances one could have, have you noticed the extreme to which how one is named often predisposes one to BECOME precisely what the label implies within our cultural context? I'm guessing that cold-readers are most astute to this.

Donald "Trump" becomes as his namesake as if the name itself has placed on him a burden to be some kind of expert card shark who always wins, or 'trumps' above all others.

I recently discovered that a logician named, "Georg Boolos", was NOT the same "George Boole" of the past. Yet the former one (still alive) BECAME a mathematical logician in the similar interests as his similar namesake of the nineteenth Century logician of the latter. Was he simply predisposed to this to become what others may have stereotyped him or expected him to be?

If you were named, "Gaylord", would this name predispose you to become most likely 'gay' and 'lord-like' (Diva-like)?

I'm not actually "Scottish" but my namesake, Scott, may have predisposed me to be of some personality similar to other "Scot"s or other people named "Scott".

Thoughts?

Addition: "Mayers". Most people pronounce my last name as "my ers" (maybe because of the Oscar Meyers pronunciation?). Could this mean that they think I'm one of those who 'Ad- -mires'? Or, from its long 'a' sound, could those who pronounce it like "May ers" be ones who are on the fence and "may er" may not like me? :lol:
Philosophy Explorer

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

How about all the black people with the family name of white and vice-versa for the white people?

PhilX
duszek

Post by duszek »

A name could have a hypnotising power upon the bearer.
Like brain-washing but positive.

Some names used to be chosen after patron saints who were supposed to serve as a constant model and inspiration. Or after animals, flowers, objects or characteristics.

Should a boy called Leo be a small and fearful one ? Probably not.
pinto

Post by pinto »

I thought a trump was a fart, in which case your theory would be correct. Trump: a blast of noisy, unspleasant, smelly gas.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

You are in a park with:
A tall German blonde with Dachsund called Daxy.
A small, fat poncy splodge carrying a sausage dog called Beauregard.
A self-conscsious skinny teenager waliking wiener dog called Pee-wee.

Who would you feel most like helping when their pet slips away into the undergrowth?
Do you think the confidence and.character of the dog is affected by its name? Its behaviour by the way it is commanded to come ?

I would joyfully call for Pee-wee. In the giggliest of tones.
Philosophy Explorer

marjoram_blues wrote:You are in a park with:
A tall German blonde with Dachsund called Daxy.
A small, fat poncy splodge carrying a sausage dog called Beauregard.
A self-conscsious skinny teenager waliking wiener dog called Pee-wee.

Who would you feel most like helping when their pet slips away into the undergrowth?
Do you think the confidence and.character of the dog is affected by its name? Its behaviour by the way it is commanded to come ?

I would joyfully call for Pee-wee. In the giggliest of tones.
Hey MB,

What's your fascination with dachshunds? (which are the same as "sausage dogs")

PhilX
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Glad you noticed the different names for the same type of dog. Doncha think some might be considered more derogatory than others ?
Philosophy Explorer

marjoram_blues wrote:Glad you noticed the different names for the same type of dog. Doncha think some might be considered more derogatory than others ?
My opinion doesn't matter. Only the pooch.

PhilX
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:Glad you noticed the different names for the same type of dog. Doncha think some might be considered more derogatory than others ?
My opinion doesn't matter. Only the pooch.

PhilX
:)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I love the name Stirfry for a cat. :lol:
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:How about all the black people with the family name of white and vice-versa for the white people?

PhilX
This is actually something now which adds value to this for me personally. My local candidate for a provincial party here that I'm supporting has the last name, "White". She is actually of North American aboriginal decent (in some part as she's told me), and is very much culturally as 'white' as her name. At least, she doesn't fit in with the stereotypes that many might associate with our local aboriginal populations. [This is, of course, in contrast to those natives who come from segregated reserves, are often poor when they initially move to cities, and for here in Canada, for most, believe they are a distinct National set of peoples who by law do not require political engagement WITH all other Canadians.]

That is, in our system, our Aboriginal populations ["First Nations Peoples"] are a considered a politically distinct and separate set of people not obliged to being considered, Canadian, and have their own separate politics except for where 'treaties' are still concerned between us and them. Nicole White, my candidate, has adapted and is competing directly in the formal Canadian politics which are considered by most, "white".
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Dalek Prime wrote:I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I love the name Stirfry for a cat. :lol:
:lol:
Greta

Post by Greta »

I know a pest exterminator with the name, Roach. Apparently he's one of the creme de la creme of pest controllers. How could he not be?

I was working in a shop a few decades ago and the boss came out the back in fits of laughter and showed me the client card. The name was R.C. Anis Brown, apparently pronounced "Annis" by the client. It reminds me of how these days all the documentary narrators pronounce Uranus and "you ran us" rather than the more correct and charming "your anus" pronunciation.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

How about cities too?

Would you like to go to Phuket for a vacation or just say, "Phuket", and stay home instead?

Check this out:

Nominal Determinism

Oh, I found this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptronym. It turns out that I accidentally labeled this thread with the same exact title of the book mentioned in this article relating to it. There is a list of some well known people with similar matching names and other links to related ones.

Thomas Crapper, for instance was a toilette manufacturer (not the sometimes presumed inventor of the toilette giving him his name.)
Last edited by Scott Mayers on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »