Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Impenitent »

Arising_uk wrote:
Impenitent wrote:only in Euclidean space...

-Imp
Eh!? Even in a non-euclidean space I'd have thought a triangle had only three sides?
I was thinking too far ahead... 3 sides, yes... side as a straight line? nope

-Imp
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Impenitent wrote:I was thinking too far ahead... 3 sides, yes... side as a straight line? nope

-Imp
But they are straight lines if you define such a thing as the shortest distance between two lines on a plane, that the plane is curved is why the definition of all triangles does not now include that the interior angles must add up to 180 degrees. At least I think so but stand to be corrected as maths and geometry are far from being my strong point.
JSS

Post by JSS »

Obvious Leo wrote:although my wife and I have got along just fine for nearly forty years without bothering with such trivia.
... until she finds out that when you said that you were going off to "work", you meant off "to work hustling chicks". :shock:
:lol:

..ahhh .. it's just a minor variation of definition, not a lie. :twisted:
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Arising_uk wrote:
Impenitent wrote:I was thinking too far ahead... 3 sides, yes... side as a straight line? nope

-Imp
But they are straight lines if you define such a thing as the shortest distance between two lines on a plane, that the plane is curved is why the definition of all triangles does not now include that the interior angles must add up to 180 degrees. At least I think so but stand to be corrected as maths and geometry are far from being my strong point.
but we don't exist on a plane... we exist on a sphere in at least 3 dimensions (4 if you have the time)

-Imp
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Impenitent wrote: but we don't exist on a plane... we exist on a sphere in at least 3 dimensions (4 if you have the time)

-Imp
Your triangle is effectively upon a curved plane.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Arising_uk wrote:
Impenitent wrote: but we don't exist on a plane... we exist on a sphere in at least 3 dimensions (4 if you have the time)

-Imp
Your triangle is effectively upon a curved plane.
the shortest distance between the north pole and the equator is not the arc formed by traversing the surface of the earth...

-Imp
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Impenitent wrote:
the shortest distance between the north pole and the equator is not the arc formed by traversing the surface of the earth...

-Imp
Which is why the definition is about curved planes.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Arising_uk wrote:
Impenitent wrote:

-Imp
Which is why the definition is about curved planes.
triangles as defined are Euclidian...

-Imp
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Impenitent wrote: triangles as defined are Euclidian...

-Imp
Not since we invented/discovered curved planes they're not.
Walker

Post by Walker »

It has a specific probability but practically speaking in English, although when you take one from two you will have one, when you take two from five you will have two. You can even say that when you take one from nothing you will have nothing.
JSS

Post by JSS »

Something can be triangular, without being a triangle.
Walker wrote:It has a specific probability but practically speaking in English, although when you take one from two you will have one, when you take two from five you will have two. You can even say that when you take one from nothing you will have nothing.
5-2 = 2??
New Math?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

one plus one equals two is absolutely true because it is a mathematical statement and mathematics is an axiomatically deductive system
of logic. And all integers and indeed all irrationals occupy a specific place on the horizontal number line so the addition of any quantities
can only have one answer. And this is why one and one can only equal two in base ten and why all other answers are automatically wrong
humy

Post by humy »

5-2 = 2??
New Math?
You know, there are only five different kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't. I guess he must be the forth kind.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote:It has a specific probability but practically speaking in English, although when you take one from two you will have one, when you take two from five you will have two. You can even say that when you take one from nothing you will have nothing.
Si. Go forth to the produce market. Only five apples remain in the apple bin. Take two from the five and you will have two. Had you not partied late last night you would have been the early bird greeted with a larger selection in the bin, and perhaps a worm or two instead of a dollar short.
Walker

Post by Walker »

You know, probably her grammar critique missed a dimension or two. :D

(Or she, he, zi, or insert appropriate pronoun.)