Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent
Posts: 1620
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Impenitent » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:28 pm

Arising_uk wrote:
Impenitent wrote:only in Euclidean space...

-Imp
Eh!? Even in a non-euclidean space I'd have thought a triangle had only three sides?
I was thinking too far ahead... 3 sides, yes... side as a straight line? nope

Image

-Imp

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10520
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Arising_uk » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:37 pm

Impenitent wrote:I was thinking too far ahead... 3 sides, yes... side as a straight line? nope

-Imp
But they are straight lines if you define such a thing as the shortest distance between two lines on a plane, that the plane is curved is why the definition of all triangles does not now include that the interior angles must add up to 180 degrees. At least I think so but stand to be corrected as maths and geometry are far from being my strong point.

JSS
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:42 am

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by JSS » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Obvious Leo wrote:although my wife and I have got along just fine for nearly forty years without bothering with such trivia.
... until she finds out that when you said that you were going off to "work", you meant off "to work hustling chicks". :shock:
:lol:

..ahhh .. it's just a minor variation of definition, not a lie. :twisted:

Impenitent
Posts: 1620
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Impenitent » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:03 pm

Arising_uk wrote:
Impenitent wrote:I was thinking too far ahead... 3 sides, yes... side as a straight line? nope

-Imp
But they are straight lines if you define such a thing as the shortest distance between two lines on a plane, that the plane is curved is why the definition of all triangles does not now include that the interior angles must add up to 180 degrees. At least I think so but stand to be corrected as maths and geometry are far from being my strong point.
but we don't exist on a plane... we exist on a sphere in at least 3 dimensions (4 if you have the time)

-Imp

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10520
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Arising_uk » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Impenitent wrote: but we don't exist on a plane... we exist on a sphere in at least 3 dimensions (4 if you have the time)

-Imp
Your triangle is effectively upon a curved plane.

Impenitent
Posts: 1620
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Impenitent » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:53 pm

Arising_uk wrote:
Impenitent wrote: but we don't exist on a plane... we exist on a sphere in at least 3 dimensions (4 if you have the time)

-Imp
Your triangle is effectively upon a curved plane.
the shortest distance between the north pole and the equator is not the arc formed by traversing the surface of the earth...

-Imp

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10520
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Arising_uk » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:27 am

Impenitent wrote:
the shortest distance between the north pole and the equator is not the arc formed by traversing the surface of the earth...

-Imp
Which is why the definition is about curved planes.

Impenitent
Posts: 1620
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Impenitent » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:51 am

Arising_uk wrote:
Impenitent wrote:
the shortest distance between the north pole and the equator is not the arc formed by traversing the surface of the earth...

-Imp
Which is why the definition is about curved planes.
triangles as defined are Euclidian...

-Imp

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10520
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Arising_uk » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:11 am

Impenitent wrote: triangles as defined are Euclidian...

-Imp
Not since we invented/discovered curved planes they're not.

Walker
Posts: 4021
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Walker » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:43 am

It has a specific probability but practically speaking in English, although when you take one from two you will have one, when you take two from five you will have two. You can even say that when you take one from nothing you will have nothing.

JSS
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:42 am

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by JSS » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:44 am

Something can be triangular, without being a triangle.
Walker wrote:It has a specific probability but practically speaking in English, although when you take one from two you will have one, when you take two from five you will have two. You can even say that when you take one from nothing you will have nothing.
5-2 = 2??
New Math?

surreptitious57
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by surreptitious57 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:07 am

one plus one equals two is absolutely true because it is a mathematical statement and mathematics is an axiomatically deductive system
of logic. And all integers and indeed all irrationals occupy a specific place on the horizontal number line so the addition of any quantities
can only have one answer. And this is why one and one can only equal two in base ten and why all other answers are automatically wrong

humy
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:53 am

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by humy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:37 am

...
5-2 = 2??
New Math?
You know, there are only five different kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't. I guess he must be the forth kind.

Walker
Posts: 4021
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Walker » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:29 pm

Walker wrote:It has a specific probability but practically speaking in English, although when you take one from two you will have one, when you take two from five you will have two. You can even say that when you take one from nothing you will have nothing.
Si. Go forth to the produce market. Only five apples remain in the apple bin. Take two from the five and you will have two. Had you not partied late last night you would have been the early bird greeted with a larger selection in the bin, and perhaps a worm or two instead of a dollar short.

Walker
Posts: 4021
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Does 1+1=2 have a "probability"?

Post by Walker » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:58 pm

You know, probably her grammar critique missed a dimension or two. :D

(Or she, he, zi, or insert appropriate pronoun.)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests