How do you communicate context?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

How do you communicate context?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Context is needed to give full meaning to words. For example, are emoticons effective at communicating context?

PhilX
wtf

Re: How do you communicate context?

Post by wtf »

:-(
Blueswing

Post by Blueswing »

An emoticon is not a word. The reason words require a context is that the word itself has no systematic connection with what it refers to. So for example the sound "fish" or the typewritten word "fish" don't resemble a fish. But the smiling emoticon does resemble a smiling face.

Words don't have a "full" meaning, but that's a different subject.

In the case of words (rather than emoticons) I'm not sure you do communicate context. Your listeners or readers have to see your words against the background of the context. It is there in front of them (or to put it another way, it's in their minds) you don't need to communicate it.

What are your thoughts?
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Context is needed to give full meaning to words. For example, are emoticons effective at communicating context?

PhilX
While emoticons are supposed to express emotions, a full understanding of the causals of those emotions or other reflections on those emotions require additional dialog, sure! such that there is a difference between:

Today I got my wisdom teeth pulled :)
and
Today I got my wisdom teeth pulled :cry:

In each example they provide context as to ones emotions relative to the event, but other words might be required to further understand the fullest meaning one might be trying to convey.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Blueswing wrote:An emoticon is not a word. The reason words require a context is that the word itself has no systematic connection with what it refers to. So for example the sound "fish" or the typewritten word "fish" don't resemble a fish. But the smiling emoticon does resemble a smiling face.

Words don't have a "full" meaning, but that's a different subject.

In the case of words (rather than emoticons) I'm not sure you do communicate context. Your listeners or readers have to see your words against the background of the context. It is there in front of them (or to put it another way, it's in their minds) you don't need to communicate it.

What are your thoughts?
An emoticon is an non-verbal expression. As such, it can either hinder or help understanding between participating parties. That is the important 'Why' of Context. Communication is a process; full understanding of meaning sometimes needs a whole lot of work involving questions and responses.
Why do you think that it is a different subject when you say 'words don't have a 'full' meaning?
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Context is needed to give full meaning to words. For example, are emoticons effective at communicating context?

PhilX
While emoticons are supposed to express emotions, a full understanding of the causals of those emotions or other reflections on those emotions require additional dialog, sure! such that there is a difference between:

Today I got my wisdom teeth pulled :)
and
Today I got my wisdom teeth pulled :cry:

In each example they provide context as to ones emotions relative to the event, but other words might be required to further understand the fullest meaning one might be trying to convey.
I think this is a great response :)
Today I got my wisdom teeth pulled, afterwards I felt no more pain :D so, I'm off to sunny Spain 8)
Today I got my wisdom teeth pulled, and it hurt like mad :( There is no way I'm going to that b*****d of a vet again :evil:

Some purists might poo-poo emoticon use; not taking anyone who relies on them to communicate emotion very seriously...at all.
Now and again, they are useful in online messages to convey intent - no harm, just kidding :wink:
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

PhilX
The way you communicate context depends on the context.

If all you do is start a one line thread and run, you have not communicated any context and shown a woeful lack of intelligence.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX

If all you do is start a one line thread and run, you have not communicated any context and shown a woeful lack of intelligence.
In your opinion.

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX

In your opinion.

PhilX
Duh, yeah.
Skip

Post by Skip »

wazoo :oops:
crocodile :twisted:
chalice :shock:

Nope.
You don't communicate the context of a word; you communicate by using words in context. Preferably the words that actually mean what you think they mean in sentences that provide accurate and appropriate context.
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

One good solution is to add more description, more words, but also precisely so.