~ I Know That I am Like the Rain ~

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

~ I Know That I am Like the Rain ~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Never before in the history of mankind can our voices and our opinions be clearly heard universally.

Yet never before has our individual intellectual opinions meant so little.

The internet has become a huge ocean, and our individual voices are like drops of rain, weaving their weary paths into that now recognized, world-wide ocean of the internet.

Our individual opinions are feathered into a huge cloud of opinion and ultimately, no individual opinion matters.

Words & thoughts definitely matter in specific direct situations in our linear reality but words and thought loose ground in the bigger picture, the right-brain hive.

Our deepest, most important sense of meaning is wordless; right-brain.

Harbal

Re: ~ I Know That I am Like the Rain ~

Post by Harbal »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Never before in the history of mankind can our voices and our opinions be clearly heard universally.

The internet has become a huge ocean, and our individual voices are like drops of rain, weaving their weary paths into that now recognized, world-wide ocean of the internet.

Our individual opinions are feathered into a huge cloud of opinion and ultimately, no individual opinion matters.

Words & thoughts definitely matter in specific direct situations in our linear reality but words and thought loose ground in the bigger picture, the right-brain hive.

Our deepest, most important sense of meaning is wordless; right-brain.

Were you drunk when you wrote this or is there another excuse?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Pretty sure I may have had a few...but the thread is entirely sobering.

I remember I hurried while I constructed the original post.

The thread expresses a portion of a concept that I have had for a while and I still believe in what I wrote.

I thank you for the complement and I am glad you enjoyed the post!

Dubious

Post by Dubious »

[/b]

...and why should they? It's my opinion that in almost all cases it takes more energy to mint an opinion than the opinion is worth...along the lines of 'a penny for your thoughts'! What are opinions supposed to be worth anyways, intellectual or otherwise?

Put another way, ALL the posts in any and all philosophy forums are, virtually without exception, expressions only of what the poster thinks and believes, nothing more no matter how cleverly or convincingly insinuated. Their all headed for the digital dung heap having served as entertainment value only. Does anyone seriously think they're making some kind of contribution beyond this? Why lament the fact?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I believe what I attempted to articulate within the focus of this thread is that because the digital revolution has made the expression and sharing of those opinions so accessible for such an unprecedented amount of individuals we are literally drowning in information & entertainment.

This deluge of media has made the individual opinion an indistinguishable splat of grey in a huge wall of grey noise - I know that I am like the rain. There before the grace of you go I...

Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

I believe what I attempted to articulate within the focus of this thread is that because the digital revolution has made the expression and sharing of those opinions so accessible for such an unprecedented amount of individuals we are literally drowning in information & entertainment.

This deluge of media has made the individual opinion an indistinguishable splat of grey in a huge wall of grey noise - I know that I am like the rain. There before the grace of you go I...

I get this. But don't give up speaking anyways. I think more that things like twitter and facebook do this to more effect than we do on sites like this. We at least have more depth when we speak with more content on forums like this than to the other formats, however more popular at present they may be. We just have to find a way to be able to treat each other with more respect for each other for our contributions in such depth than to insult each other often because those 'twitter' or 'facebook' types lack what we have in common. As a point in case, I like your comments although I don't always respond simply for agreeing. Often when one agrees with what they read, they don't have purpose to respond. So it is just as likely that others too agree but have nothing other than the simplistically agree. We (intellectuals) don't respect this either as it comes across insincere as placating or bandwagoning. Just know that what you have to say has significance.

A 'closer' is one who can comment on something that others in kind agree to at such a degree they have no means to reopen it with unnecessary accolades. Most of us here and in similar sites don't need to comment on where we approve. As such, if you end on something sufficiently 'closed' or agreed upon, we, as equals, won't have much to add without disrespecting our own internal disgust for simply agreeing or pandering to kudos where we can't be certain why they're being so kind without explanation. So keep on what you're doing but don't expect response without asking overtly. [I have to ask this if I'm getting no responses and am getting paranoid of disapproval. But it usually gets a response of reassurance where needed.]

We need to treat each other with more respect by at least reminding each other of their value. But we also have to be respectful of those we disagree with, even in the most heated discussions that ignite our emotions.

I agree with your OP, Bill. But if I don't speak it everywhere, I appreciate it and others here who may feel they lack the recognition they deserve.

Scott.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

We are all like tiny fog remnants essentially without narrative where the 'moment' rules instead of time. That's what happens when everyone becomes a participant made possible by the publishing power of the internet. The media only manifests the rest of us at large. So I'm not disagreeing with what you say a condition mentioned many times not least by the media itself.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Like your metaphor...

Beauty

Post by Beauty »

Our deepest, most important sense of meaning is wordless, I agree, and I really like your lines here. On top of that I also believe that everyone understands the language of the heart, and should more people speak it, this world would be a winner. Even on the net, everyone understands the language of the heart. So we may be a speck on the horizon, but we have a place, and who says that we should be in the lime light? I believe that so long as we are we, we are alright. The net-ocean is gigantic, some are more in the lime light, some are less, others are not, it matters not.