58 most commonly misused words

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

58 most commonly misused words

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

By a linguist. For me I hate the overuse of the word and in sentences such as try and do it instead of try to do it.

Are any of the words on your list? Have you misused any of the words from that list?:

http://www.businessinsider.com/harvard- ... 2015-9?amp

PhilX
Bill Wiltrack

Re: 58 most commonly misused words

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME?

Dude - This is a PHILOSOPHY site.

Feel free to post this garbage where it belongs - IN THE LOUNGE!

And feel free to STOP USING LINKS THAT NO ONE WILL EVER CLICK-ONTO.

FUCK - Give YOUR opinion about SOMETHING. Form a thesis. Do some background.

...hang on...Okay. Let me calm down. OK...Okay FORGET what I just said.

Post whatever you want. Whenever you want...and post as many links as you can.

Don't change a thing...

There. That's what I meant to say.

Philosophy Explorer

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME?

Dude - This is a PHILOSOPHY site.

Feel free to post this garbage where it belongs - IN THE LOUNGE!

And feel free to STOP USING LINKS THAT NO ONE WILL EVER CLICK-ONTO.

FUCK - Give YOUR opinion about SOMETHING. Form a thesis. Do some background.

...hang on...Okay. Let me calm down. OK...Okay FORGET what I just said.

Post whatever you want. Whenever you want...and post as many links as you can.

Don't change a thing...

There. That's what I meant to say.

Is that your picture?

PhilX
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

No. That gif is not mine...the words are not mine.

The emotional response I expressed is not me.

Who are you? Who do you perceive yourself to be?

Philosophy Explorer

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

No. That gif is not mine...the words are not mine.

The emotional response I expressed is not me.

Who are you? Who do you perceive yourself to be?

Unlike you.

PhilX
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:By a linguist. For me I hate the overuse of the word and in sentences such as try and do it instead of try to do it.

Are any of the words on your list? Have you misused any of the words from that list?:

PhilX
"try and do it" originates from our elliptical use of allowing "and" to be used for both connectivity in state and dynamically in time. Thus, it actually means "try [first] and then [you will discover that you CAN] do it."

I'm struggling more with the use of texting shortcut terms or acronyms being over-used without respecting context.

Edit: I noticed that some of the words Pinker thinks is 'inappropriate' is false based on original meanings. "Beg the question" means both to beg that [some] question follows AND to beg that the very question of something is implied by the suggested answer. We have to be more lenient in context to how some use their words. If one finds a confusion, then just let them know how you interpret it and allow them to re-feedback to confirm or deny.
Philosophy Explorer

Scott Mayers wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:By a linguist. For me I hate the overuse of the word and in sentences such as try and do it instead of try to do it.

PhilX
"try and do it" originates from our elliptical use of allowing "and" to be used for both connectivity in state and dynamically in time. Thus, it actually means "try [first] and then [you will discover that you CAN] do it."

I'm struggling more with the use of texting shortcut terms or acronyms being over-used without respecting context.

Edit: I noticed that some of the words Pinker thinks is 'inappropriate' is false based on original meanings. "Beg the question" means both to beg that [some] question follows AND to beg that the very question of something is implied by the suggested answer. We have to be more lenient in context to how some use their words. If one finds a confusion, then just let them know how you interpret it and allow them to re-feedback to confirm or deny.
The phrase "Try and do it" e.g. says to me try to do it and do it which isn't logical. It also just sounds bad.

PhilX
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

I prefer more clarity too and so try and do succeed to doing it in a way that could be understood better. "Try to do X" and then "doing X" is summed up as "try and do" by convention. It is intended to place an emphasis on both "trying" something as well as "doing" it. So when most people use it they are often meaning that you have to at least 'try' for those questioning whether something CAN be done or not.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Terms also get lost in time and get reinterpreted more esoterically as time goes on. Take, Jesus Christ, for instance. This was actually an original reference to those people of two millenia ago to refer to those who declared, "I am the [real] king as decreed by God", as it referenced someone claiming to be the savior of the people. Jesus = "I am" (See how this derived as "Je" or "Ye", meaning 'I', and "su(i)s"; "Christ" was derived from the act of anointing one a King in a formal honor to represent they are granted authority from a Supreme being.) Thus, in those days, all the very people [usually Jews of the Middle East] who thought that their society was being threatened by the turmoil of the then Roman empire thought the messiah (savior) had been called on by certain individuals to overthrow the corruption and the end of the world as they perceived it.

I think that language is evolutionary and unable to be perfectly conserved by forcing it to remain fixed. I'm guessing that in the future, "lolling" may become a term meaning, "to laugh out loud" as well as other intentional meanings derived from the LOL from our present texting.
Philosophy Explorer

Scott Mayer said:

"I think that language is evolutionary and unable to be perfectly conserved by forcing it to remain fixed. I'm guessing that in the future, "lolling" may become a term meaning, "to laugh out loud" as well as other intentional meanings derived from the LOL from our present texting."

I agree about it being evolutionary. I recently read that LOL is going out of style.

PhilX
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Scott Mayer said:

"I think that language is evolutionary and unable to be perfectly conserved by forcing it to remain fixed. I'm guessing that in the future, "lolling" may become a term meaning, "to laugh out loud" as well as other intentional meanings derived from the LOL from our present texting."

I agree about it being evolutionary. I recently read that LOL is going out of style.

PhilX
What will they replace lol with? I like it because the lowercase form looks like a little man, raising his arms and cheering. I imagine him happily celebrating a touchdown or try.