The freedom of American language

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SpheresOfBalance

Re: The freedom of American language

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Americans speak American, period! Deal with it Asinking_UK!
Right, and Canadians speak Canadian, and Australians speak Australian, and Scots speak Scottish, and New Zealanders speak New Zealandish..........
Yanks are without a doubt the most arrogant, obnoxious, unlikable people on the planet, yet you think the whole world LOVES you! How delusional can you be???
You know you're worthless to talk to right? And I really do feel sorry for you, and your deluded state.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Again Arising_uk was being pretty straight forward. How can anyone hear an insult in his initial posts is beyond me. WTF? Come on Americans. ..what is the biggie in saying we speak English? So what if we spell a few words differently. ..what is this weird thing where we have to make everything about us?

We speak English. So fucking what? Hopefully one day Spanish will be the official language of the USA! I am saying this because there are so many Americans afraid this will be a reality. ..lol. I just wish it would come true....it would crack me up to see most Americans disgusted and repulsed by the fact that they were of Mexican dissent and then be forced to hate themselves out of the insane need to be their racist selves....lol.

I know the above is a surrealistic parody of racist Americans, but just the thought of a half Mexican half heinz 57 (slang for white Americans who have a mix of European ancestry) having inner turmoil of being a white/American supremist AND at the same time being the thing the look down upon (mexican) reminds me of a cartoon version of a cat and dog head sharing one body...the 1 head thinking it's better to the point of making its other half do menial labor but being too stupid to realize what he does to his other being he does to himself.
Skip

Post by Skip »

[Poor spelling, low rate of literacy, forgetting how to pronounce the letter 't' or what commas are for]
SpheresOfBalance:
Sorry skip, but my professor at university, stated that as to comma usage, there are no set rules, save list delineation, that they can indeed be used creatively, when ever one wishes for there to be a pause,
My bold. You admit: commas are for indicating pauses. Other punctuation marks serve definite purposes of their own. When one has learned their functions, one may use them creatively. When one does not know their functions, one can only use them badly or not at all. The last two kinds of usage do not facilitate communication nor enhance the development of language. My remark, therefore, stands.

Shatner.
[the use of words that sound vaguely similar as synonym]
NO!! Sometimes it's just to do with the decline of mind, due to exposure to hazardous chemicals, or other such mind fogging things, but you obviously didn't think of that.
Obviously. But if a growing number of the speakers of a language suffer from chemical brain-damage, it's not entirely unreasonable to assume that the language itself will decline.

Oh, come on - you can pick better nits than these!
Last edited by Skip on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skip

Post by Skip »

artisticsolution wrote: I know the above is a surrealistic parody of racist Americans, but just the thought of a half Mexican half heinz 57 (slang for white Americans who have a mix of European ancestry) having inner turmoil of being a white/American supremist AND at the same time being the thing the look down upon (mexican)
It is surrealistic, but I actually happen to know an American couple of mixed races who bad-mouth people the same colour and eye-shape as their own adored only child. Hoomons! Everything the sardonic little Ferengi said about them is true.
reminds me of a cartoon version of a cat and dog head sharing one body...the 1 head thinking it's better to the point of making its other half do menial labor but being too stupid to realize what he does to his other being he does to himself.
By the same token, the 'menial labour' being done with either tongue is to his/their mutual pleasure, no?
SpheresOfBalance

artisticsolution wrote:Again Arising_uk was being pretty straight forward. How can anyone hear an insult in his initial posts is beyond me. WTF? Come on Americans. ..what is the biggie in saying we speak English? So what if we spell a few words differently. ..what is this weird thing where we have to make everything about us?

We speak English. So fucking what? Hopefully one day Spanish will be the official language of the USA! I am saying this because there are so many Americans afraid this will be a reality. ..lol. I just wish it would come true....it would crack me up to see most Americans disgusted and repulsed by the fact that they were of Mexican dissent and then be forced to hate themselves out of the insane need to be their racist selves....lol.

I know the above is a surrealistic parody of racist Americans, but just the thought of a half Mexican half heinz 57 (slang for white Americans who have a mix of European ancestry) having inner turmoil of being a white/American supremist AND at the same time being the thing the look down upon (mexican) reminds me of a cartoon version of a cat and dog head sharing one body...the 1 head thinking it's better to the point of making its other half do menial labor but being too stupid to realize what he does to his other being he does to himself.
AS, I've been here for several years now, and my dealings with Asinking_UK have been many, and I have learned much about Asinking-UK. Obviously it's between Asinking_UK and the SOB. Of course I'll always invite you to have your say, and I would defend your right to do so, always. We don't have to agree all the time! And as far as I'm concerned, I know exactly what I'm talking about, when it comes to Asinking_UK, which has nothing to do with Asinkings admirers or cronies.

We don't speak English here in the USA because a large portion of us don't follow English's rules. I learned of this back in the 70's, before this board, the magazine or the Internet ever existed.

My wife at that time, a college student, visited her birthplace of the Netherlands, (she was moved here when she was 1yo). All her distant relatives made fun of her language, American English, and she was surprised how their English was so perfect, by the book. She said it sounded odd and mechanical. And rightfully so, for one that spoke American English.

It doesn't matter what is written on any paper, as to what our official language is. All that matters is the language that we use, and it's not "proper" English! It's been Americanized. And rightfully so. As our fore fathers shoved their tea down their throats, so many of us today, shove their English down their throats, every time we open our mouths and speak. We don't belong to England anymore, our fore fathers kicked them out a long time ago.

In saying all of that, I still embrace many things English, of my own accord, as well as many other countries particulars. But watch out if anyone tries to shove anything down my throat, as I'll spit it back in their face, and then the fun begins, as I show them their heart.
SpheresOfBalance

Skip wrote:
[Poor spelling, low rate of literacy, forgetting how to pronounce the letter 't' or what commas are for]
SpheresOfBalance:
Sorry skip, but my professor at university, stated that as to comma usage, there are no set rules, save list delineation, that they can indeed be used creatively, when ever one wishes for there to be a pause,
My bold. You admit: commas are for indicating pauses. Other punctuation marks serve definite purposes of their own. When one has learned their functions, one may use them creatively. When one does not know their functions, one can only use them badly or not at all. The last two kinds of usage do not facilitate communication nor enhance the development of language. My remark, therefore, stands.

Shatner.
[the use of words that sound vaguely similar as synonym]
NO!! Sometimes it's just to do with the decline of mind, due to exposure to hazardous chemicals, or other such mind fogging things, but you obviously didn't think of that.
Obviously. But if a growing number of the speakers of a language suffer from chemical brain-damage, it's not entirely unreasonable to assume that the language itself will decline.

Oh, come on - you can pick better nits than these!
Not at all, I picked those things that are personal for me. It was not about anything other that you excluding that which I've either come to understand, from college professors of English, or that my family has had to deal with. It's in bad form to alienate those that are afflicted by things beyond their control. What next, pointing and chuckling at a blind man that has tripped? I know that it was out of ignorance that you did so, yet I am a member of this thread, and felt that I must bring it to light, in order to cut some slack to those, to which it applies.

I haven't dented you pride, have I? Maybe I'm hearing the wrong inflections. I mean, was that a vote of confidence or condescension?
Skip

Post by Skip »

I haven't dented you pride, have I? Maybe I'm hearing the wrong inflections. I mean, was that a vote of confidence or condescension?
No, it wasn't about pride. It was about relevancy to the topic. We were not discussing the various causes of speech defects, memory loss or dyslexia, but the freedom of vernacular from the constraint of grammatical rules.
If you wanted to move the whole topic into that realm, I would be happy to participate in a thoughtful and serious manner.

Instead, you chose to ignore the serious and thoughtful body of my response on the main issue, and huff over an insignificant snipe at the upcoming post-libris generation, which referenced some common errors. On the comma, your objection was ill-founded; on the apostrophe and capitals, you concurred; on the misuse of vocabulary, you moved it to a personal arena which you had no reason to think I entered knowingly or with any hostile intent - obviously, as you pointed out, since I had no prior notice of its existence.

One could easily take this for nit-picking of the least productive kind. But I'll ignore them in future, so no harm comes to anyone's feelings.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Americans speak American, period! Deal with it Asinking_UK!
Right, and Canadians speak Canadian, and Australians speak Australian, and Scots speak Scottish, and New Zealanders speak New Zealandish..........
Yanks are without a doubt the most arrogant, obnoxious, unlikable people on the planet, yet you think the whole world LOVES you! How delusional can you be???
You know you're worthless to talk to right? And I really do feel sorry for you, and your deluded state.
People always get ugly when they can't fault my logic. So much easier just to insult.
SpheresOfBalance

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Right, and Canadians speak Canadian, and Australians speak Australian, and Scots speak Scottish, and New Zealanders speak New Zealandish..........
People always get ugly when they can't fault my logic. So much easier just to insult.
You have no logic sweetie, just misdirected anger!
vegetariantaxidermy

SpheresOfBalance wrote: You have no logic sweetie, just misdirected anger!
Try to convince yourself of that 'sweetie'.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

AS, I've been here for several years now, and my dealings with Asinking_UK have been many, and I have learned much about Asinking-UK. Obviously it's between Asinking_UK and the SOB. Of course I'll always invite you to have your say, and I would defend your right to do so, always. We don't have to agree all the time! And as far as I'm concerned, I know exactly what I'm talking about, when it comes to Asinking_UK, which has nothing to do with Asinkings admirers or cronies.
We don't have to agree all the time...I know....I have no beef with you...and I have no loyalty to Arising. I just call a spade a spade.

What has Arising ever said that is untrue? Oh sure...he get's pissed and makes mistakes like everyone. But really, if you've given any thought to the initial responses he gives in the beginning of a subject that are all posed as a question...in order to get you to think another way about something. But I think the problem he is having with people taking insult to his words, is perhaps they see them as questioning their authority or perhaps our line of thinking...as if he has the audacity or something. To me that is weird, but whatever...But truly, if you read him from a neutral point to begin with, I don't think you two would have as many pissing matches.

Arising is different from most in this forum. He wants to do philosophy first...then have a pissing contest second...lol. I am not saying this because I like him...which I do...but I like a lot of people in the forum including you...so that is neither here nor there...I just happen to think that arising is rare because he doesn't HAVE a philosophy he holds so dear he feels threatened if anyone questions it. He welcomes the intrusion to his intellect in order to make him think about something a different way. This is a very unique trait...Most people in the forum, come in to spout their philosophical beliefs and defend them, arising comes here to question others beliefs as well as his own.

But I know there is nothing I can say to make you change your mind, you two already have a pissing contest going so you can't back down in order to see things clearly. But at least I can stand back and say, 'arising is right and you are wrong....lol...kidding...but he has one thing over you...and that is his ability to put aside his firmly held beliefs in order to think something else for a change. He's not 'militant' like you (and me)...which is not just my opinion...you have said the same about yourself. (Remember when we agreed that we were both 'warriors'? ) Sure, I like a good brawl once in a while too...but I have to call i like I see it too...and i'm sorry that you can't see it yet...that arising could be a very good person to help you see things in a way you've never considered before. But you have to humble yourself...and if you do...you will see that arsing has no problem doing the same for the sake of argument. It's really quite remarkable how he can do that when someone makes a good argument. I don't know if you have seen it before...but I have been here long enough to have seen it...he will actually say, ' you have a point ' or 'i was mistaken' and put one of these :oops:

How many of us Americans know THAT language?
SpheresOfBalance

SpheresOfBalance wrote: You have no logic sweetie, just misdirected anger!
Try to convince yourself of that 'sweetie'.
No need, 'you' already have, "sour heart!" :P ;)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:...
Sorry skip, but my professor at university, stated that as to comma usage, there are no set rules, save list delineation, that they can indeed be used creatively, when ever one wishes for there to be a pause, so as to create dramatic flare, William Statner, in his role as Capt. James T Kirk, was famous for such things, while being laughed at by many. Of course the laughter was just born of fear and the inflation of pride, as usual!
There is a simple rule for using a comma in written English, if when reading a sentence you run out of breath then you need comma or when a full stop is to much as the thought is still being continued.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

artisticsolution wrote:
We don't have to agree all the time...I know....I have no beef with you...and I have no loyalty to Arising. I just call a spade a spade.

What has Arising ever said that is untrue? Oh sure...he get's pissed and makes mistakes like everyone. But really, if you've given any thought to the initial responses he gives in the beginning of a subject that are all posed as a question...in order to get you to think another way about something. But I think the problem he is having with people taking insult to his words, is perhaps they see them as questioning their authority or perhaps our line of thinking...as if he has the audacity or something. To me that is weird, but whatever...But truly, if you read him from a neutral point to begin with, I don't think you two would have as many pissing matches.

Arising is different from most in this forum. He wants to do philosophy first...then have a pissing contest second...lol. I am not saying this because I like him...which I do...but I like a lot of people in the forum including you...so that is neither here nor there...I just happen to think that arising is rare because he doesn't HAVE a philosophy he holds so dear he feels threatened if anyone questions it. He welcomes the intrusion to his intellect in order to make him think about something a different way. This is a very unique trait...Most people in the forum, come in to spout their philosophical beliefs and defend them, arising comes here to question others beliefs as well as his own.

But I know there is nothing I can say to make you change your mind, you two already have a pissing contest going so you can't back down in order to see things clearly. But at least I can stand back and say, 'arising is right and you are wrong....lol...kidding...but he has one thing over you...and that is his ability to put aside his firmly held beliefs in order to think something else for a change. He's not 'militant' like you (and me)...which is not just my opinion...you have said the same about yourself. (Remember when we agreed that we were both 'warriors'? ) Sure, I like a good brawl once in a while too...but I have to call i like I see it too...and i'm sorry that you can't see it yet...that arising could be a very good person to help you see things in a way you've never considered before. But you have to humble yourself...and if you do...you will see that arsing has no problem doing the same for the sake of argument. It's really quite remarkable how he can do that when someone makes a good argument. I don't know if you have seen it before...but I have been here long enough to have seen it...he will actually say, ' you have a point ' or 'i was mistaken' and put one of these :oops:

How many of us Americans know THAT language?
I agree. I haven't had a lot of interaction with Arising, but he always seems to talk sense, and never resorts to 'na na you're an idiot and not worth responding to' the way people like SOB and Bob Evenson do when they know they can't counter their opponent's points.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:...
We don't speak English here in the USA because a large portion of us don't follow English's rules. I learned of this back in the 70's, before this board, the magazine or the Internet ever existed.

My wife at that time, a college student, visited her birthplace of the Netherlands, (she was moved here when she was 1yo). All her distant relatives made fun of her language, American English, and she was surprised how their English was so perfect, by the book. She said it sounded odd and mechanical. And rightfully so, for one that spoke American English.

It doesn't matter what is written on any paper, as to what our official language is. All that matters is the language that we use, and it's not "proper" English! It's been Americanized. And rightfully so. As our fore fathers shoved their tea down their throats, so many of us today, shove their English down their throats, every time we open our mouths and speak. We don't belong to England anymore, our fore fathers kicked them out a long time ago.

In saying all of that, I still embrace many things English, of my own accord, as well as many other countries particulars. But watch out if anyone tries to shove anything down my throat, as I'll spit it back in their face, and then the fun begins, as I show them their heart.
You're an idiot, one because American English follows the rules of English grammar and those have always been bent, it's why non-English speakers find them so hard to understand as they are convention, two because American English is closer to many forms of older English and three because by your own admission it's a dialect of English! That is, 'Americanised English' which is no threat to the English language as the whole power of the English language is its ability to assimilated word and terms from other languages and that's exactly because it was an amalgamation of two languages Norman French and Saxon German and why it has been so useful as a trade-language around the world as its other great strength is one can pronounce and mangle it 'badly' and still get one's meaning across, something many other languages resist.