The freedom of American language

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: The freedom of American language

Post by Arising_uk »

artisticsolution wrote:...you will see that arsing has no problem doing the same for the sake of argument. ...
:lol:
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

artisticsolution wrote:
AS, I've been here for several years now, and my dealings with Asinking_UK have been many, and I have learned much about Asinking-UK. Obviously it's between Asinking_UK and the SOB. Of course I'll always invite you to have your say, and I would defend your right to do so, always. We don't have to agree all the time! And as far as I'm concerned, I know exactly what I'm talking about, when it comes to Asinking_UK, which has nothing to do with Asinkings admirers or cronies.
We don't have to agree all the time...I know....I have no beef with you...and I have no loyalty to Arising. I just call a spade a spade.

What has Arising ever said that is untrue? Oh sure...he get's pissed and makes mistakes like everyone. But really, if you've given any thought to the initial responses he gives in the beginning of a subject that are all posed as a question...in order to get you to think another way about something. But I think the problem he is having with people taking insult to his words, is perhaps they see them as questioning their authority or perhaps our line of thinking...as if he has the audacity or something. To me that is weird, but whatever...But truly, if you read him from a neutral point to begin with, I don't think you two would have as many pissing matches.

Arising is different from most in this forum. He wants to do philosophy first...then have a pissing contest second...lol. I am not saying this because I like him...which I do...but I like a lot of people in the forum including you...so that is neither here nor there...I just happen to think that arising is rare because he doesn't HAVE a philosophy he holds so dear he feels threatened if anyone questions it. He welcomes the intrusion to his intellect in order to make him think about something a different way. This is a very unique trait...Most people in the forum, come in to spout their philosophical beliefs and defend them, arising comes here to question others beliefs as well as his own.

But I know there is nothing I can say to make you change your mind, you two already have a pissing contest going so you can't back down in order to see things clearly. But at least I can stand back and say, 'arising is right and you are wrong....lol...kidding...but he has one thing over you...and that is his ability to put aside his firmly held beliefs in order to think something else for a change. He's not 'militant' like you (and me)...which is not just my opinion...you have said the same about yourself. (Remember when we agreed that we were both 'warriors'? ) Sure, I like a good brawl once in a while too...but I have to call i like I see it too...and i'm sorry that you can't see it yet...that arising could be a very good person to help you see things in a way you've never considered before. But you have to humble yourself...and if you do...you will see that arsing has no problem doing the same for the sake of argument. It's really quite remarkable how he can do that when someone makes a good argument. I don't know if you have seen it before...but I have been here long enough to have seen it...he will actually say, ' you have a point ' or 'i was mistaken' and put one of these :oops:

How many of us Americans know THAT language?
You got me all wrong, AS! And I know, or I'm at least pretty sure that Asinking knows as well. I value all the 'good' in Asinking, but just like 'everyone,' Asinking has a little bad too. I'm not here to pat everyone on the back for their good! Why? Their good doesn't need any revision. It's good! No job there!!! They only need to be made aware of their bad. I don't do it for my sake alone. I do it first and foremost for theirs, and the rest that they might offend! The earth is one organism, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, and when it dies, we all die! I really don't believe in countries, really!! We need to put the Us and Them mentality behind us, as look where it's gotten us, do I really need to pull a Bill, and post pictures of dead and or bleeding babies from these recent wars?

Bill, where are you Bill? I need you now! ;)

And yes, this us and them mentality is where it comes from. (Something for a philosopher to think about, if you have the time: Trailer Movie) (If you can't view it from your location, I Apologize.)

True story:

Years ago, long before I knew this place existed, back in the 90's, I was well on my way. I told my son and his teachers that he did not have to stand up, at the beginning of home room/class and say the "pledge of allegiance," because it states, "...one nation under god..." They thought it was a religious thing, so he was exempt, yet he admitted that he stood up and kinda followed along, because of peer pressure. :cry: I had told him and them that it would be a different thing if it stated the absolute truth, i.e., "...one world under god...," and the flag contained a picture of planet earth, with all different colored hands holding it up, not the current symbolic stars and stripes. Further that I didn't see that the inclusion of "God" was tied to any one religion, actually seeing the creator (god) as the universe! To hell with all the specific historical dogma of all the specific historical religions, that have been steeped in killings/unnecessary deaths, as I and all are only bound by the laws of the universe, so says the very mighty universe in it's equal creation of us 'all', as we are, in fact, stardust!

So anyone that takes pride in countries, attempting to force it down the throat of people that happen, whether considered unfortunate or not, to be born in different countries, is steeped in archaic, antiquated, dogmas surely as foul as that of some religions. (Take note all you atheists!) Why do you think I'm Agnostic?

Why pick on Asinking? Because I expect more out of Asinking, because of some serious study in philosophy, and longevity within this forum, once even a MOD, or so I'm told.

I mean didn't you see my post where I stated that one of the reasons that I joined the forum, is because I saw the exchange between Asinking and "GOAT BOY," Asinking calls him 'goat turd/er.' And I knew that I could screw with his little pea brain, because it was very obvious to me that I had endured much more pain than he had, or at least that I had come out of it with a much better attitude. And when he reappeared I seriously had him going for a time, sure I took one of his dirty tricks to a whole new lowly level, but in a not so obvious way. But I didn't maintain my cool, and he came back at me harder, then he was banished yet again. Yes, largely it was in defense of Asinking and some dude that also tried to stand toe to toe with the goat boys marginal threats of violence! I know all about violence, since 3.5 - 4 years of age at least, not to mention all my training to kill, if in defense, it's need be. It was also because his presence tainted philosophy. Sure he demonstrated at least one good philosophical question, that of true anarchy, where death is seen in every street, but that's easy to do from ones comfortable soft and cushy armchair, yet him at the front, I'm sure wouldn't bode so well, with bullets a whistling, he and his wolf pack sniping, so called, sheeple. Boy, it's not a fucking shooting gallery at the front, as they shoot back.

I know who is and who isn't good people, when I see/hear them. And even if they're silent, face to face, I can see it in their eyes, and the lines on their face. I love the good in people and I hate the bad!

All that I do here is argue with people, maybe unconventionally sometimes, but it comes from my want to further the good in people, despite their resistance. :twisted: Of course my points delivered from 'Spheres of (sometimes seemingly) Unbalanced' only captivate the truly wise, that are capable of seeing to it's core.

I'll not let Asinking rest on this issue, as it's beneath them, as a philosopher. Asinking started it, several years ago, by calling me a Yank, indicating that in the UK, it was meant in a bad way. Asinking has been nasty, attempting to hit below the belt, on more than one occasion. For instance, if someone is really badly in need of psychological counseling, the worst thing anyone could do is make light/fun of it, as that equates to no compassion, and someone could actually hurt themselves as a result. Once Asinking showed total disregard for the lives of their own progeny line; surely not an angelic move! None of this means that I hate Asinking, not at all! Asinking has some rough edges that I'd rather try and smooth out, if it's possible. I expect the same out of others with regard to the SOB. I'm not a one way type person.

Of course I really wish Veggie would take heed as well. ;)

PEOPLE: THERE ARE GOOD AND BAD EVERYWHERE, NO BORDER DELINEATES IT, ANYWHERE! To believe anything less is due to philosophical ineptitude. But then maybe that's why you're here. And so I'll continue...

To do battle in the equality/ethics arena, via argument! (With a salt and peppering elsewhere.)

And so now I FINALLY step down off my soapbox, sorry for the rant, but AS requested it, whether she realized it or not. ;)

So maybe it's best that very few like to engage the SOB... you be the judge, as I know you certainly will...

There you go AS, a bit longer than yours, though you've had your moments. ;)
SpheresOfBalance

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:...
We don't speak English here in the USA because a large portion of us don't follow English's rules. I learned of this back in the 70's, before this board, the magazine or the Internet ever existed.

My wife at that time, a college student, visited her birthplace of the Netherlands, (she was moved here when she was 1yo). All her distant relatives made fun of her language, American English, and she was surprised how their English was so perfect, by the book. She said it sounded odd and mechanical. And rightfully so, for one that spoke American English.

It doesn't matter what is written on any paper, as to what our official language is. All that matters is the language that we use, and it's not "proper" English! It's been Americanized. And rightfully so. As our fore fathers shoved their tea down their throats, so many of us today, shove their English down their throats, every time we open our mouths and speak. We don't belong to England anymore, our fore fathers kicked them out a long time ago.

In saying all of that, I still embrace many things English, of my own accord, as well as many other countries particulars. But watch out if anyone tries to shove anything down my throat, as I'll spit it back in their face, and then the fun begins, as I show them their heart.
You're an idiot, one because American English follows the rules of English grammar and those have always been bent, it's why non-English speakers find them so hard to understand as they are convention, two because American English is closer to many forms of older English and three because by your own admission it's a dialect of English! That is, 'Americanised English' which is no threat to the English language as the whole power of the English language is its ability to assimilated word and terms from other languages and that's exactly because it was an amalgamation of two languages Norman French and Saxon German and why it has been so useful as a trade-language around the world as its other great strength is one can pronounce and mangle it 'badly' and still get one's meaning across, something many other languages resist.
I'm an idiot because I piss you off, good! :twisted:
SpheresOfBalance

First Veggie said:
I agree. I haven't had a lot of interaction with Arising, but he always seems to talk sense, and never resorts to 'na na you're an idiot and not worth responding to' the way people like SOB and Bob Evenson do when they know they can't counter their opponent's points.
Then immediately afterward Asinking_uk said to the SOB:
You're an idiot,...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So much for what Veggie says...

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:First Veggie said:
I agree. I haven't had a lot of interaction with Arising, but he always seems to talk sense, and never resorts to 'na na you're an idiot and not worth responding to' the way people like SOB and Bob Evenson do when they know they can't counter their opponent's points.
You're an idiot,...

The point was that it's all you ever seem to do in your 'rebuttals'. You never bother to even try to counter other people's arguments. You can insult someone AND counter them at the same time, but that's not what you do. You remind me of the creationists who always claim to have 'pwnd' everyone else. Saying it yourself doesn't really count.
SpheresOfBalance

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:First Veggie said:
You're an idiot,...

The point was that it's all you ever seem to do in your 'rebuttals'. You never bother to even try to counter other people's arguments. You can insult someone AND counter them at the same time, but that's not what you do. You remind me of the creationists who always claim to have 'pwnd' everyone else. Saying it yourself doesn't really count.
I'm going to leave you alone now veggie, there's no need to further antagonize you. Condemn me to hell if it somehow makes you feel better! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :*
Skip

Post by Skip »

I've left a wake-up call for whenever somebody wants to talk about language again.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:I'm an idiot because I piss you off, good! :twisted:
You think to much of yourself. You are an idiot, in this case, because of the reasons I stated.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think it's overdone myself, but I believe American language has a certain freedom of expression that many others don't have. The only thing that's uppermost in my mind is clarity (I wonder what input VT has about this?):

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... poken-1916

PhilX
You have excelled yourself. Many of your post comments often bear scant relationship to the links you post. But this one takes the biscuit: there being nothing to compare one with the other.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Arising_uk wrote:There is no American language? Just English, or at least until America decides to change the name of its current dialect.

With respect to freedom of expression, what do you mean by this?
I think he means you are a "ho beatch, mutha fucka"
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think it's overdone myself, but I believe American language has a certain freedom of expression that many others don't have. The only thing that's uppermost in my mind is clarity (I wonder what input VT has about this?):

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... poken-1916

PhilX
You have excelled yourself. Many of your post comments often bear scant relationship to the links you post. But this one takes the biscuit: there being nothing to compare one with the other.
That's because you have a shallow mind plus prejudice towards others and a superiority complex. Since you have a chip on your shoulder, I'll knock it off (every time).

PhilX
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Arising_uk wrote:
artisticsolution wrote:...you will see that arsing has no problem doing the same for the sake of argument. ...
:lol:
LOL You may laugh but I have never seen you be rude to someone who is making an intelligent philosophical argument while refraining from being arrogant (Which in my head translates to being humble...lol).
artisticsolution

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I agree. I haven't had a lot of interaction with Arising, but he always seems to talk sense, and never resorts to 'na na you're an idiot and not worth responding to' the way people like SOB and Bob Evenson do when they know they can't counter their opponent's points.
Thanks Veg...I am glad someone else sees it too!
artisticsolution

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
I know who is and who isn't good people, when I see/hear them. And even if they're silent, face to face, I can see it in their eyes, and the lines on their face. I love the good in people and I hate the bad!
Thanks for the rant Spheres. I am sooo tired tonight I can't respond properly. I will just say that I am not sure if philosophy has anything to do with being a 'bad or good' person, I think it has more to do with putting aside your feelings in order to get to the truth. What truth is that, I don't know if philosophy will ever know. This is why arising gets so frustrated...you talk as if you know. You talk from your gut feelings with an air of arrogance. I do too....this is how I know you do...lol. I am trying so very very hard to change...simply because I am bored with that way of thinking. I want to think differently. I don't know if it's better for my well being or life...I just am bored with my stupid thoughts and my stupid self.