Does the internet lead to better Ameican language?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Does the internet lead to better Ameican language?

Post by attofishpi »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:If it weren't for Africa, we wouldn't exist.

And if it weren't for the Big Bang, our universe wouldn't exist.

PhilX
Its just sad that imbecile yanks like you dont understand a concept such as a team effort - in the Allies. Ooo the yanks saved the world!! Hooray!! No bugger else did squat.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

attofishpi wrote:

PhilX
Its just sad that imbecile yanks like you dont understand a concept such as a team effort - in the Allies. Ooo the yanks saved the world!! Hooray!! No bugger else did squat.
And it's too bad that nincompoops such as you have forgotten that Neville Chamberlain was one of the causes of WWII by trying to "appease" Hitler (you and VT would make quite a pair).

PhilX
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
attofishpi wrote:

PhilX
And it's too bad that nincompoops such as you have forgotten that Neville Chamberlain was one of the causes of WWII by trying to "appease" Hitler (you and VT would make quite a pair).

PhilX
No dipshit, Neville Chamberlain knew exactly what Hitler would do, there was nothing to stop it moron...he bought some extra time allowing Britain to build up its war machine. OMG "Neville was a cause WWII" you truly are dumb.

Please just stop trashing this forum by thread spamming with your idiotic childish questions.
Philosophy Explorer

attofishpi wrote:

PhilX[/quote]

No dipshit, Neville Chamberlain knew exactly what Hitler would do, there was nothing to stop it moron...he bought some extra time allowing Britain to build up its war machine. OMG "Neville was a cause WWII" you truly are dumb.

Please just stop trashing this forum by thread spamming with your idiotic childish questions.[/quote]

No asshole. All Neville did was to bring WWII to England. And the so-called time he bought was fruitless as the Yanks had to save your hide at Dunkirk plus Lend-Lease and other ways.

As far as spamming goes; you, VT and others are the biggest thread derailers going. Nobody believes your BS.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Fuckin moron. English uses much German; that's hardly the same as the American deliberate dumbing down of an existing language. You are morons. End of.
Dumb end of a jackass. Stupid troll. Nothing will change the fact that English is corrupted German. We were wise to Americanize.

PhilX
'Americanizing' means nothing. It's just bad English. You can't eliminate the history by spelling it badly.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Fuckin moron. English uses much German; that's hardly the same as the American deliberate dumbing down of an existing language. You are morons. End of.
Dumb end of a jackass. Stupid troll. Nothing will change the fact that English is corrupted German. We were wise to Americanize.

PhilX
'Americanizing' means nothing. It's just bad English. You can't eliminate the history by spelling it badly.
Correction. It's practically eliminated in the US through our education system.

PhilX
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Correction. It's practically eliminated in the US through our education system.

PhilX
So why isn't education spelt edukashun already for all you lower IQ delinquents? And please attempt to learn how to use a simple forum quote function above, it really isnt that difikult.
Philosophy Explorer

attofishpi wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Correction. It's practically eliminated in the US through our education system.

PhilX
So why isn't education spelt edukashun already for all you lower IQ delinquents? And please attempt to learn how to use a simple forum quote function above, it really isnt that difikult.
Because it is only for your lower-IQ types such as you. Let the administration adjust their quote function. Oh while I'm at it, you British morons (not all) show snobbery and racist attitudes towards Americans on this forum which is a reason why Bob Evenson can't stand you.

PhilX
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

attofishpi wrote:

PhilX
Because it is only for your lower-IQ types such as you. Let the administration adjust their quote function. Oh while I'm at it, you British morons (not all) show snobbery and racist attitudes towards Americans on this forum which is a reason why Bob Evenson can't stand you.

PhilX
PhilX,

Why do you have to go there? Why do you have to become another bigot, just because you are face to face with a bigot? It's just words and it can't be insulting unless you believe you are the way they think American's are. You know that is all they have heard about Americans on the news. And some of it is true...a ton of american's don't know where Europe is, but the majority do. A ton of American's are conservative, but the majority aren't. It's just that the conservative are the ones who vote and hold up the 'stupid' banner for all the world to see. They get in the news because they are side show freaks and people want to stare and point...like at a zoo.

Anyway, does it really matter what they think? Why do you have to go there? It won't change a thing and you end up confirming what they already thought about Americans. In that way, bigots are exactly like conservatives....whether or not they are Americans.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:(My apologies to other cultures as I only know American English).

I don't know if it's a cause or just concurrent. It seems that the decline of good English seems to run parallel with the internet (a positive, e.g., are online dictionaries, but how many people use them?)

PhilX
I don't think dictionaries have much to do with it. That little red line under words the auto spell checker does not like, might have more significance, but spelling is a small part of "better language".
The Internet provides many avenues for literate activities, that heretofore did not even exist. Outside periods of education, I have probably typed more words in one year since the mature internet was in place, than in any previous ten year period.
So, for some, at least,the potential exists to hone their literary skills where such an opportunity never before existed.
Philosophy Explorer

artisticsolution said: "You know that is all they have heard about Americans on the news." Now how would I know this? I don't watch their news.

I'm sure that many things are said about America on the news. Are you saying that the bigots never traveled in the US? (in fact one of them admitted doing so). This is (supposed) to be a philosophy forum where everybody can present a legitimate viewpoint. I just gave some samples of where things aren't so rosy in their own backyards in response to false allegations against the US. I have nothing against England, which this website is said to be based in, nor other western countries in general.

I'm curious why certain members are so bigoted against the US on this forum? What is the basis for their attitudes?

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

artisticsolution wrote: It's just that the conservative are the ones who vote and hold up the 'stupid' banner for all the world to see. They get in the news because they are side show freaks and people want to stare and point...like at a zoo.
In reckon this is a very perceptive statement. I've travelled a lot in various parts of the world, including in the US, and my experience is that on average Americans are not noticeably more stupid than most folks elsewhere. Their cultural brainwashing is more thorough because of a very isolationist education system but this merely brings about a naivety about the outside world which is actually quite engaging. Americans seem to think that everybody else in the world is either like them or wants to be like them and this provides unlimited opportunity for piss-takers in search of comedic opportunity. Americans also seem to elect the most extreme caricatures of themselves as their spokespersons which is rather like painting a "kick-me" target on the forehead. I mean come on brother yanks, try and see what we're seeing. Look at the continuous parade of fuckwits which your Republican Party is pushing forward to be the next "leader of the free world". Try and see what we're seeing. There's a very real chance that one of these retards could actually get the gig because you've got form for doing this kind of shit. You guys are fucking scary.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Obvious Leo wrote:. You guys are fucking scary.
Lmao...well you got me there. It's true....the republican party is scary as hell. Imagine if they were family members. ...people you knew all your life and trust on a personal level...now THAT'S scary.

What freaks me out is how they can say one thing and not understand they couldn't live in the dystopia they have a hard on for.

They want to play hardball, and be the super human Ayn Rand hero, but don't like it when another out wits them and takes advantage.

Don't they understand in their world, there can be but one? Don't they understand that it is not likely to be them? Why can't they see that equality gives them at least a fighting chance for a better life for themselves?

Just look at how many republicans are running for office...and all are putting on the same false bravado like they are already world leaders! That's the farce...the lie...that the Republicans fall for. They vote for whoever acts and looks the part...forget about qualifications.

Aww fuck it...you all are right...

Americans are scary as hell.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:...

We "stupid yanks" saved your hides during both World Wars, you dumb ninny. ...
Not sure about the first but in the second 20,000,000 dead Soviets helped and if they hadn't then the Sixth Army would have made sure we'd still have been on the beaches.

Whilst I agree that without you we'd have been a part of the glorious reich I think the moral implication Yanks make with the idea of 'saved' a bit disingenuous as in both cases you did not come until forced to and you charged us for every cent plus interest for your help.
And British is just corrupted German. ...
Not quite, it's mainly an amalgamation of German(Saxon) and French(Norman) and thanks to this event it's a language that finds incorporating words from other languages fairly simple and is not fussy about accent nor pronunciation with respect to meaning, which is one reason why it became the de facto 'trade' language in many countries between immigrants, America for example, as it's fairly easy to speak with errors and still be understood.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Written statements help to think about grammar and sentence sturcture.
So it improves our logical thinking.