Rules

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Rules

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

How important would you say that spelling and grammar are to communication?

PhilX
GreatandWiseTrixie

Re: Rules

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Har har.

Does this answer your question?

http://www.brainhq.com/sites/default/fi ... cool1a.gif
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:How important would you say that spelling and grammar are to communication?

PhilX
While what Trixie brought up may be true, I would say that spelling and grammar actually is important to communication; not only to learn the basics but the deeper nuances of language and communication overall, and if you get into General Grammar it helps you relate the organization of words to philosophy. For me, it's more of an ought to for the sake of cultivating nowledge, wisdom, and understanding into people's minds.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Does this answer your question?
This just means that once you've learnt to spell spelling is not important but grammar still appears to be.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Arising_uk wrote:
This just means that once you've learnt to spell spelling is not important but grammar still appears to be.
I can still understand hoodrat talk. Hoodrat speak is actually beneficial to efficient AI routines. Tense wise it's no more vague. For example "I be walk to store" is more clear than "I am walking to the store."

"I be walk to store" implies he is walking, present tense.

"I am walking to the store"...Is he walking now, or in the future? It's unclear.

These supposedly "intelligent" fancyisms just add unneeded bulk while detracting from clarity. It would be a waste of resources to add such a device to an AI routine. The uneeded bulk takes up more mental resources than you'd care to admit, adding these fancyisms is not a simple additions routine, but requires extra layers of heavy bulk and extra processing layers.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:
I can still understand hoodrat talk. Hoodrat speak is actually beneficial to efficient AI routines. Tense wise it's no more vague. For example "I be walk to store" is more clear than "I am walking to the store."

"I be walk to store" implies he is walking, present tense.

"I am walking to the store"...Is he walking now, or in the future? It's unclear.

These supposedly "intelligent" fancyisms just add unneeded bulk while detracting from clarity. It would be a waste of resources to add such a device to an AI routine. The uneeded bulk takes up more mental resources than you'd care to admit, adding these fancyisms is not a simple additions routine, but requires extra layers of heavy bulk and extra processing layers.
Grammar is more important than spelling because if it's wrong you can convey a meaning that is the complete opposite of what you intended. This can be downright dangerous. Bad spelling is a sign of sloppiness and laziness, expecially in the internet age, and who doesn't have a dictionary?
GreatandWiseTrixie

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Grammar is more important than spelling because if it's wrong you can convey a meaning that is the complete opposite of what you intended. This can be downright dangerous. Bad spelling is a sign of sloppiness and laziness, expecially in the internet age, and who doesn't have a dictionary?
Thought that occured regardless of grammar. Seems all the rage these days to leave auto-sarcasm detectors online at all times and automatically assume everything is a personal attack, as well as assuming the other person doesn't know obvious, basic facts because they didn't place their words in a certain manner.
Seizing

Post by Seizing »

My view is to avoid conscious focus on spelling altogether, because you have to insert the right contents for the delivery to qualify, but there's also so many more boxes on the arrival from different belts of production.

The theory is, value gathers together more coins of silver (2) rather than less pounds of gold (3), with the weakest attribute being bronze (1), an unfulfilled box.
That being said, 3 and 2 make 5, while 3 and 1 make 4!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Grammar is more important than spelling because if it's wrong you can convey a meaning that is the complete opposite of what you intended. This can be downright dangerous. Bad spelling is a sign of sloppiness and laziness, expecially in the internet age, and who doesn't have a dictionary?
Thought that occured regardless of grammar. Seems all the rage these days to leave auto-sarcasm detectors online at all times and automatically assume everything is a personal attack, as well as assuming the other person doesn't know obvious, basic facts because they didn't place their words in a certain manner.
I didn't realise I had clicked on 'quote' there. My comment wasn't directed at you, but intended to be stand-alone.
GreatandWiseTrixie

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
I didn't realise I had clicked on 'quote' there. My comment wasn't directed at you, but intended to be stand-alone.
My comment wasn't directed at you either. However it was referencing your post and branching from there.