What does it mean for a human to "sound natural?"

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Re: What does it mean for a human to "sound natural?"

Post by duszek »

Being natural is simply a pose.

Said Oscar Wilde.

A voice trying to sell something should be pleasant, amusing, hilarious, providing pleasure to the buyer.
This is the extra value and the payment for the buyer´s attention.

The seller needs to put himself into a mood that would result in such a voice.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

duszek wrote:Being natural is simply a pose.

Said Oscar Wilde.

A voice trying to sell something should be pleasant, amusing, hilarious, providing pleasure to the buyer.

Oscar Wilde. So brilliant and succinct. The best philosophers are the ones who aren't necessarily described as philosophers. He had amazing insight, and that's what philosophy is all about really.
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I used to work in sales. In my earlier stage, prospects would say I sound like a robot or ask if I'm reading from a script? Eventually I made adjustments which boosted my sales, led to fewer people hanging up on me, etc.

A number of questions arise which I'll now pose. Does sounding natural (whatever that means) go hand-in-hand with language development? Do professionals, on average, have a better grasp on language than the general population of a country and do they sound more natural? Do you think that apps (Talking Girl Friend e.g.) are getting better at communication while sounding more natural?

What do you think?

PhilX
How about - acting natural is doing something without thinking about it? As soon as you think about it, or try to 'act natural' it is impossible except perhaps for the expert actors. Affectation, it's opposite, requires thought and planning.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

For me (and indirectly, a few others), I credit serendipity and being analytical key roles in my success (by implication, this applies in other areas of communication, e.g. customer service). I studied chemistry, physics, math, etc. in college which helped prepare me later on.

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

duszek wrote:Being natural is simply a pose.

Said Oscar Wilde.

I was selling newspaper subscriptions to the Star-Ledger.
After my intro, my prospect started saying: "Well I don't think I'll..." to which I replied "Oh oh!" This caused her to laugh hysterically and she admitted she was thinking about getting the newspaper for a long time. I gave her the offer and she took the subscription.

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

Wyman wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:I used to work in sales. In my earlier stage, prospects would say I sound like a robot or ask if I'm reading from a script? Eventually I made adjustments which boosted my sales, led to fewer people hanging up on me, etc.

A number of questions arise which I'll now pose. Does sounding natural (whatever that means) go hand-in-hand with language development? Do professionals, on average, have a better grasp on language than the general population of a country and do they sound more natural? Do you think that apps (Talking Girl Friend e.g.) are getting better at communication while sounding more natural?

What do you think?

PhilX
How about - acting natural is doing something without thinking about it? As soon as you think about it, or try to 'act natural' it is impossible except perhaps for the expert actors. Affectation, it's opposite, requires thought and planning.
Towards this end Wyman, if you work with a script, try to write up your own. And practice and rehearse, practice and rehearse until you have it memorized.

PhilX
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Wyman wrote:

What do you think?

PhilX
Towards this end Wyman, if you work with a script, try to write up your own. And practice and rehearse, practice and rehearse until you have it memorized.

PhilX
You know why you couldn't sell me? Simply because it pisses me off that someone thinks for a second that they can steal my phone, silence, time, etc, and get away with it. It's mine I tell you, it's mine! If I invite you to sell me, well now that's a totally different story, now isn't it?
Philosophy Explorer

SOB said:

"You know why you couldn't sell me? Simply because it pisses me off that someone thinks for a second that they can steal my phone, silence, time, etc, and get away with it. It's mine I tell you, it's mine! If I invite you to sell me, well now that's a totally different story, now isn't it?"

Normally a prospect would invite selling through asking questions. Otherwise just hang up (I wouldn't call back as my time is valuable too).

Is that how you invite selling?

PhilX
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:SOB said:

"You know why you couldn't sell me? Simply because it pisses me off that someone thinks for a second that they can steal my phone, silence, time, etc, and get away with it. It's mine I tell you, it's mine! If I invite you to sell me, well now that's a totally different story, now isn't it?"

Normally a prospect would invite selling through asking questions. Otherwise just hang up (I wouldn't call back as my time is valuable too).
But you have spoken of cold calling. You know, the newspaper subscription bit, or so it surely seemed.

Is that how you invite selling?
Actually, to be quite honest, I never invite it. I'm the kind that goes to the store knowing exactly what I want, after doing much research. Often I've taught the seller, as I knew more about their product than they did. And I do hang up, they're just lucky I can't reach through the phone, because they've already stolen from me the second my phone rings, and I absolutely 'hate' thieves. Like I said, I could never be a salesman, far too much guilt to deal with. I'd either feel like a beggar at a street corner or a robber with a weapon at someones back. Nope, it's one of those jobs I just can't do. Nothing personal, as I've felt this way for quite some time now. All I'm really doing is showing you the other side of the coin, so that you may know why some people might give you crap. I'm sure you've seen it, if you've been doing it for a long time.

PhilX
Happy Holidays PhilX, and to everyone else too!

May all your Spheres Balance!
Philosophy Explorer

SOB said:

"But you have spoken of cold calling. You know, newspaper subscription bit, or so it surely seemed."

My understanding (as per the manager) is that the people I called were formerly serviced by a carrier who left so I wouldn't call that cold calling.

There are some prospects though who I believe never subscribed to the Star Ledger. Here's a particularly interesting scenario. I could never sell those who subscribed to another newspaper such as the NY Times.
Either knocking his paper or bringing up the benefits of mine just didn't work. So I came up with a solution that wasn't in the script. I suggested to those prospects that they can "compare" their papers with mine (can you imagine, subscribing to two different papers at the same time?)

Happy Holiday to you too and everyone else.

PhilX