Words Are To A Philosopher -

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

NielsBohr

Re: Words Are To A Philosopher -

Post by NielsBohr »

Arising_uk wrote:Not quite, the point of GNU was to be free of any proprietary software, completely free software, it has no Unix code in it and its packages have been Linux ported to many operating systems such as Solaris, Mac OS X and MS Windows. Stallman is not a 'desperate person' but a software genius and idealist of the highest order and his GPL and FSF are great achievements.
-Hi Arising_uk,

Please, go in quest of some informations... I learned computers for 4 years.

First, you seems to make a confusion between:
  • free of any proprietary software; and
  • Free (of fees).
Nevertheless, if you do not make the confusion, I write this precision above, for the others.

Furthermore, you can have free proprietary software, as unfree non proprietary software (as an enhancement of some totally free-license software) as far as it permitted, of course.

I don't exactly know Gnu, but it seems to be free in both of senses, apparently.
Arising_uk wrote:it has no Unix code in it and its packages have been Linux ported to many operating systems such as Solaris, Mac OS X and MS Windows.
This one is exactly a lie.
Mac OS has some free software at its basis, but certainly not a complete "Linux".

This is Unix which is the base of Mac OS & of Linux; and Linux is not a base of Unix. Moreover because you have almost thousands of Linux - this cannot be a base, and not even a standard!

Linux doesn't refer to Richard Stallman, but to Linus Thorvald !

Some of these people are or were genius (I think about the man who re-coded his pinter driver).

I wrote "desperate", not about them, but about some of those, who think to deliver Africa from hungry with free programs. And the way of distorsion is to make appeals for donations depending on arbitrary will.

This is nonsense!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

NielsBohr wrote: -Hi Arising_uk,

Please, go in quest of some informations... I learned computers for 4 years.
My first job was as a mainframe computer operator before PC's were invented, since then I've been a systems analyst, a database designer and administrator, an IT trainer and teacher, and have been in and around computers for decades.
First, you seems to make a confusion between:
  • free of any proprietary software; and
  • Free (of fees).
Furthermore, you can have free proprietary software, as unfree non proprietary software (as an enhancement of some totally free-license software) as far as it permitted, of course.

Nevertheless, if you do not make the confusion, I write this precision above, for the others.
Fair enough as I understand the difference between proprietary, open-source, commercial and free software.
I don't exactly know Gnu, but it seems to be free in both of senses, apparently.
And yet you commented about GNU? But you are right.
This one is exactly a lie.
Mac OS has some free software at its basis, but certainly not a complete "Linux".
Not what I said, read again, It uses ported GNU programs which run more reliably than the proprietary Unix ones.

This is Unix which is the base of Mac OS & of Linux; and Linux is not a base of Unix. Moreover because you have almost thousands of Linux - this cannot be a base, and not even a standard!
There is a standard of sorts the Linux Kernel.
Linux doesn't refer to Richard Stallman, but to Linus Thorvald !
I know but he wrote the Linux Kernel a large chunk of the rest of what people call Linux is the GNU/Linux OS.
Some of these people are or were genius (I think about the man who re-coded his pinter driver).
I think about the poor bugger who watched Gates make a fortune from his DOS.
I wrote "desperate", not about them, but about some of those, who think to deliver Africa from hungry with free programs. And the way of distorsion is to make appeals for donations depending on arbitrary will.

This is nonsense!
Could be but then again a free operating system that one can reprogram is a mighty powerful thing. Which is what the GNU/Linux OS is.
NielsBohr

Post by NielsBohr »

Hi Arising_UK,

Your answer suits for me.

Except maybe one point:
  • Unix is a base for Linux, or
  • Linux is a base for Unix ?
If you answer the second, I'll be about to think that your training in computer is maybe too far in the past.

N.B.:
Thank you for your cool blood. -You was also in databases conception ? -This is exactly where I try to be active. Unfortunately, most enterprises ask for someone with a master & 5 years of experience (moreover about ERPs), and no one furnish the experience...

I think the world changed. Asking for a master & 5 years experience to manipulate a solution key-in-hand does not make sense. This is complete mockery, I think
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

NielsBohr wrote:Hi Arising_UK,

Your answer suits for me.

Except maybe one point:
  • Unix is a base for Linux, or
  • Linux is a base for Unix ?
If you answer the second, I'll be about to think that your training in computer is maybe too far in the past.
Sort of, I agree that crudely Unix was the base for Linux as Torvald was writing an operating system for the IBM AT 386 clones and used Unix as a model, i.e. in ported the Bash shell but he also ported the GNU complier and released it all as a free and open source OS, the Linux Kernel, he also later released it under GPL, but many have contributed to Linux's development.
N.B.:
Thank you for your cool blood. -You was also in databases conception ? -This is exactly where I try to be active. Unfortunately, most enterprises ask for someone with a master & 5 years of experience (moreover about ERPs), and no one furnish the experience...

I think the world changed. Asking for a master & 5 years experience to manipulate a solution key-in-hand does not make sense. This is complete mockery, I think
Been out of the game for a long time now but you could try going down the commercial exam route, Oracle DBA qualifications are well regarded as are the IBM UDB certifications, Microsofts MCDBA not so much but if you actually understand Relational Databases and SQL then the MSSQL Server route can open doors for you.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

The gnu have something to say?

Enlighten us upon the history of computing your gnuness.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I think the GIF above says it all...without saying a word.

Words Are To A Philosopher -

uwot

Post by uwot »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:Words Are To A Philosopher -
Well, if the philosopher is any good, words are the things they manipulate to convey the product of their consideration. There are various art forms that use imagery as a means of expression, but an image of a horse shitting doesn't say anything more profound than 'horse shit'. It's hardly art and if you must call it philosophy, it is of the most puerile, conceptually vacuous sort.
I'm no psychologist, but it seems to me that the bulk of you output, Poor Bill, is a projection of your self-loathing. It isn't anyone else's fault that you are you and you will not cure yourself by belittling others.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.I think the GIF above says it all...without saying a word.
Says it all about what?

Were you referring to my words about the history of computing or this thread in general or to your OP or what...?

Thats the problem with piccys as they lack reference and context.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Words are important. Certainly words are vital in the initial formatory time of a fledgling philosopher...or soon to be philosopher.

Words, reading, literal thought has it's place.

When you graduate from that mapping, images speak a thousand words.

Words Are To A Philosopher - a function of the intellect. An estrangement of reality. Nothing more.

I believe the GIF below sums-up my response above perfectly. Interpret as you wish. That is none of my concern in this world.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.Words are important. Certainly words are vital in the initial formatory time of a fledgling philosopher...or soon to be philosopher.
So not you anytime soon then.
Words, reading, literal thought has it's place.
Yeah! In Philosophy, try it sometime.
When you graduate from that mapping, images speak a thousand words.
No, they don't. They are the tool of the propagandist and gnu.
Words Are To A Philosopher - a function of the intellect. An estrangement of reality. Nothing more.
So you keep repeating ad nauseam.
I believe the GIF below sums-up my response above perfectly. Interpret as you wish. That is none of my concern in this world.[/size]
But you still don't say what the horseshit refers too?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I know you are a product of the 70's - hippy - dippy - guru - neuro linguistic programming was your thing and that guy that was the head of it was your guru.

I get that.

But WE DON'T LIVE IN THE 70's ANYMORE. I am NOT your guru or gnu or whatever you want to call me.

Yes, everyone here at the forum looks up to me. That doesn't make me the gnu or guru or leader or anything else. I'm just another member.

PLEASE - PLEASE TAKE ME OFF THE PEDESTAL YOU HAVE PUT ME ON.

I appreciate it but I'm NOT your gnu. I'm NOT your leader.

This is NOT the 70's. It's 2014 for fucks sake.

C'mon - let's get back to good philosophizing. Words From a Philosopher -

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.I know you are a product of the 70's - hippy - dippy - guru - neuro linguistic programming was your thing and that guy that was the head of it was your guru.
:lol: I'm definitely a product of the 70's as that was my teens and thats why I can hear a gnu a mile away but NLP I didn't find until the late 80's early 90's after my philosophy degree. And fuck the hippies was the ethos over here in the 70's.
I get that.
Once again you don't.
But WE DON'T LIVE IN THE 70's ANYMORE. I am NOT your guru or gnu or whatever you want to call me.
I know, you're just another Interweeb Gnu rehashing the same old 70's rehashed eastern mysticism you learnt from your 'guru' with a big dose of narcissism and megalomania engendered by the Webs ability to make any dweebs purile thoughts available to many. Plus you're a ex-thesist who lost his faith and can't cope with the nihilism it engendered so you wish to drag all down with you.

That you wish to debase the grounds of Philosophy just for your emotional needs and on top of that that you've never actually read any of those we call the philosophers is why I pretty much oppose every 'thought' you post as they are all pretty much adolescent existential angst that could be solved by actually reading some philosophy.
Yes, everyone here at the forum looks up to me. That doesn't make me the gnu or guru or leader or anything else. I'm just another member.
lmao! You are in error, its that everything about you screams your need to be a gnu. Its why you admired the goaturder so much as he has actually done what you seek. You know why he managed it? Because he's actually read some philosophy and understood how to apply what he read.
PLEASE - PLEASE TAKE ME OFF THE PEDESTAL YOU HAVE PUT ME ON.
But you look such a good target up there?
I appreciate it but I'm NOT your gnu. I'm NOT your leader.
I know, you're just another interweeb gnu.
This is NOT the 70's. It's 2014 for fucks sake.
Then you really should update your mishmash of thoughts because they are truly old-hat.
[/size].
I have been. You just don't like, or engage, in the process.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

[/size]

I think this would be rather difficult and pointless because of the mistaken belief that your 'bootstrap' philosophy outweighs any philosophy that has gone before.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.........................................................Image