What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm

According to Dale Carnegie, it's your own name. It's rare when a person changes his/her birthname. In sales it's taught to use the prospect's name as often as possible.

I already know there are some on here who dislike their name due to boredom or some other reason so how do you regard your name? Do you like to hear someone use your name?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Skip
Posts: 2196
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Skip » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:18 pm

mo-lass-sse-ss
That's the sweetest sound.

I don't much care for the name I was given at birth, but do like some of my names - the names I've chosen, mostly, plus an amusing one my SO invented. Te two names I very much miss hearing are "Pony-boots" that my mother sometimes called me and "Crew?" that was my invariable greeting from my old cat who died recently.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 5374
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 pm

And he was given the name 'Dale'. That's confidence for you.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:09 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 pm
And he was given the name 'Dale'. That's confidence for you.
Sounds like you're prejudiced against everyone named Dale, a fine English name. But that's no surprise to me. You're an equal-area opportunity racist towards everyone because you hate everybody.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Dubious
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Dubious » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:29 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm
According to Dale Carnegie, it's your own name.
Frankly, I don't think Dale had all the candles on his candelabra burning at the same time. Speaking of candelabras, I really like the sound of "Liberace".

Do you like to hear someone use your name?
...not the way it's usually pronounced! When mispronounced in a crowd, I always know they mean ME! :(

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:32 am

Dubious wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:29 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm
According to Dale Carnegie, it's your own name.
Frankly, I don't think Dale had all the candles on his candelabra burning at the same time. Speaking of candelabras, I really like the sound of "Liberace".

Do you like to hear someone use your name?
...not the way it's usually pronounced! When mispronounced in a crowd, I always know they mean ME! :(
Ever consider changing it?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Dubious
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Dubious » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:39 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:32 am
Dubious wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:29 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm
According to Dale Carnegie, it's your own name.
Frankly, I don't think Dale had all the candles on his candelabra burning at the same time. Speaking of candelabras, I really like the sound of "Liberace".

Do you like to hear someone use your name?
...not the way it's usually pronounced! When mispronounced in a crowd, I always know they mean ME! :(
Ever consider changing it?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
For another two or three years at most, devoutly to be wished, it wouldn't be practical! Besides, I'm not referring to my given name, quite common, only my surname.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 5374
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:48 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:09 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 pm
And he was given the name 'Dale'. That's confidence for you.
Sounds like you're prejudiced against everyone named Dale, a fine English name. But that's no surprise to me. You're an equal-area opportunity racist towards everyone because you hate everybody.

PhilX ๐Ÿค–
No everyone. Only Americans, except the nice, intelligent ones. :mrgreen:

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:21 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:48 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:09 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 pm
And he was given the name 'Dale'. That's confidence for you.
Sounds like you're prejudiced against everyone named Dale, a fine English name. But that's no surprise to me. You're an equal-area opportunity racist towards everyone because you hate everybody.

PhilX ๐Ÿค–
No everyone. Only Americans, except the nice, intelligent ones. :mrgreen:
Not everyone you meant to say. I disagree since you have something to say about everyone. So why are Americans at the top of your hate list?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 9825
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Arising_uk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:51 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:... In sales it's taught to use the prospect's name as often as possible. ...
Might work in America but will annoy the shit out of most Europeans, although could be only those above a certain age nowadays.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:51 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote:... In sales it's taught to use the prospect's name as often as possible. ...
Might work in America but will annoy the shit out of most Europeans, although could be only those above a certain age nowadays.
Arising, one of my beliefs in philosophy is that people behave similarly all over the world. You say most Europeans so what entitles you to say that most Europeans would be annoyed (and what do you mean by an European anyway?) Are you generalizing on the basis of how you feel for yourself? (I'm sure Mr. Carnegie has studied this thoroughly throughout his life and just wouldn't be saying what he said).

To ask you Arising, does it bother you to hear someone say your name?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 5374
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm
According to Dale Carnegie, it's your own name. It's rare when a person changes his/her birthname. In sales it's taught to use the prospect's name as often as possible.

I already know there are some on here who dislike their name due to boredom or some other reason so how do you regard your name? Do you like to hear someone use your name?

PhilX ๐Ÿคข
How did I miss that turd of icky phoniness? AAaaagh! You people are so annoying! I don't need idiot sales'persons' and call centre employees to keep repeating my first name as if it makes me feel that they are my best friend! No doubt the yanks came up with that crap, along with every other bit of pointless phony rubbish that does NOTHING for either sales OR customer relations! Are you people made of plastic or is it just your personalities that make it seem that way?

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm
According to Dale Carnegie, it's your own name. It's rare when a person changes his/her birthname. In sales it's taught to use the prospect's name as often as possible.

I already know there are some on here who dislike their name due to boredom or some other reason so how do you regard your name? Do you like to hear someone use your name?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
How did I miss that turd of icky phoniness? AAaaagh! You people are so annoying! I don't need idiot sales'persons' and call centre employees to keep repeating my first name as if it makes me feel that they are my best friend! No doubt the yanks came up with that crap, along with every other bit of pointless phony crap that does NOTHING for either sales OR customer relations!
You're so full of shit in your speculation. It's not what you need in regards to salespeople and call center employees. It's prejudiced morons like you that assume the worst about Americans. So far all you've done is spout hot air. Good salespeople will ask you for your permission in how you wish to be addressed so you're not describing the situation correctly. Also sales is based on what you want, not what you need. Plus you wouldn't be getting phone calls you moron if you had your name on a do-not-call list so you're wasting the sales agent's time.

So what's your next excuse?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 5374
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm
According to Dale Carnegie, it's your own name. It's rare when a person changes his/her birthname. In sales it's taught to use the prospect's name as often as possible.

I already know there are some on here who dislike their name due to boredom or some other reason so how do you regard your name? Do you like to hear someone use your name?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
How did I miss that turd of icky phoniness? AAaaagh! You people are so annoying! I don't need idiot sales'persons' and call centre employees to keep repeating my first name as if it makes me feel that they are my best friend! No doubt the yanks came up with that crap, along with every other bit of pointless phony crap that does NOTHING for either sales OR customer relations!
You're so full of shit in your speculation. It's not what what you need in regards to salespeople and call center employees. It's prejudiced morons like you that assume the worst about Americans. So far all you've done is spout hot air. Good salespeople will ask you for your permission in how you wish to be addressed so you're not describing the situation correctly. Also sales is based on what you want, not what you need. Plus you wouldn't be getting phone calls you moron if you had your name on a do-not-call list so you're wasting the sales agent's time.

So what's your next excuse?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
That's not a call centre (ANOTHER horrible American invention). You are the one who said you are told to keep using the person's name, and I know that call centre personnel are told that they should keep mentioning the customer's name. It's idiotic. I don't ask for their name unless I have a good reason to know it. And there are still some old people around who get offended when some disembodied stranger on the phone keeps using their first name. I don't need them to call me anything actually. Certainly not the yank 'ma'am' either. And it should be against the law everywhere for Americans to teach English, spoken or written, ANYWHERE.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What's the sweetest sound in the English language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:01 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:34 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 pm


How did I miss that turd of icky phoniness? AAaaagh! You people are so annoying! I don't need idiot sales'persons' and call centre employees to keep repeating my first name as if it makes me feel that they are my best friend! No doubt the yanks came up with that crap, along with every other bit of pointless phony crap that does NOTHING for either sales OR customer relations!
You're so full of shit in your speculation. It's not what what you need in regards to salespeople and call center employees. It's prejudiced morons like you that assume the worst about Americans. So far all you've done is spout hot air. Good salespeople will ask you for your permission in how you wish to be addressed so you're not describing the situation correctly. Also sales is based on what you want, not what you need. Plus you wouldn't be getting phone calls you moron if you had your name on a do-not-call list so you're wasting the sales agent's time.

So what's your next excuse?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
That's not a call centre (ANOTHER horrible American invention). You are the one who said you are told to keep using the person's name, and I know that call centre personnel are told that they should keep mentioning the customer's name. It's idiotic. I don't ask for their name unless I have a good reason to know it. And there are still some old people around who get offended when some disembodied stranger on the phone keeps using their first name. I don't need them to call me anything actually. Certainly not the yank 'ma'am' either. And it should be against the law everywhere for Americans to teach English, spoken or written, ANYWHERE.
First, trying to politicize my threads won't get you far. That's what we have the political section for, you moron.
Second what's the big deal if Americans invented call centers? It provides jobs for the workers and goods and services for the customers. So how do you wish to be addressed initially? By "Hey you" or by your name? Or are you one of those "old people" who get offended when somebody uses your first name? Another one of your prejudiced suppositions about "old people" which isn't true. The reason why you don't ask for their name is you aren't selling, plain and simple. And it should be the law everywhere for Americans to teach English.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest