Which is better: social media or forums?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Which is better: social media or forums?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

In terms of discussion or information.

PhilX
-1-

Re: Which is better: social media or forums?

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:48 pm In terms of discussion or information.
PhilX
Forums are specialized, and there are always at least a couple of experts participating who are and are eager to be helpful.

Social media is full of hockey-wives who form the lowest level of humanity's common denominator. Beyond exchanging cat pics with them, social media is dominated by celebrity gossip and bashing anyone who insists Brad shouldn't have married Angelina.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

social media (facefk/twits/instagramfks/snapfkers/etc............is AOL (AOLifcation of the internet).

Social media is AOL.

unlike the good old internet of old - which is the Usenet......................or should i say what both used to be.

Usenet was turdified by AOLer's 20+ yrs ago when AOLers showed up there too ;-/.

I will miss both the Usenet and Internet when the cheapskates (It costs some $$ to host a website (forum) call it a day and shut down ................and all the forums die, only to be hosted on free to the hosters on sites like facefk (that spy on members - and which I shall never join).

the internet i loved is dying, slowly be replaced by a walled garden of advertizer data minging of members - of which I shall never become a member and will intead just unplug from the then propriety "internet".

by then the net will not long be a place I will have any interest in being a member of.

Facebook will destroy the internet i've loved these last 25 yrs. ;-(.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

What constitutes better discussion? What is better information? Does "better" mean more volume? More manners? More humor? More diverse audiences? More esoteric vocabulary? Do these criteria even matter in regard to a comparison of the two communication techniques? I wonder.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

I prefer forums to social media just because the quality of discourse is better on them
For there is a higher quality of poster on rational sites than on the internet in general