Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Greta »

Aww Eodnhoj7, I was hoping to stay off the point of the OP - that horse has well and truly been flogged (and it turned out just to be a guy in a horsey suit anyway) and I quite enjoy dimensional chit chat :)
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta
It is negative to rant about how dreadful we all are in just about every post. Over and over and over. If you treat others as if they are sub-human, which you routinely do, then that would be insulting if we weren't all so accustomed to your prejudice.
I am not a teacher. I have verified over time that the world hates the truth of the human condition. It is too insulting to tolerate. However, a minority within the world become aware of the problem and struggle to free themselves from what keeps them a slave to imagination and remember objective human meaning and purpose.

From Jacob Needleman’s book: “The heart of Philosophy.” .
Chapter 1

Introduction

Man cannot live without philosophy. This is not a figure of speech but a literal fact that will be demonstrated in this book. There is a yearning in the heart that is nourished only by real philosophy and without this nourishment man dies as surely as if he were deprived of food and air. But this part of the human psyche is not known or honored in our culture. When it does breakthrough to our awareness it is either ignored or treated as something else. It is given wrong names; it is not cared for; it is crushed. And eventually, it may withdraw altogether, never again to appear. When this happens man becomes a thing. No matter what he accomplishes or experiences, no matter what happiness he experiences or what service he performs, he has in fact lost his real possibility. He is dead.

……………………….The function of philosophy in human life is to help Man remember. It has no other task. And anything that calls itself philosophy which does not serve this function is simply not philosophy……………………………….

I act towards others as if we are all victims of the human condition. Would you call Thomas Merton a bigot in the following excerpt? He claims that without the influence of those like Simone Weil we remain not human. I will agree and you will be horrified and rant away.
Simone Weil and Thomas Merton were born in France 6 years apart - 1909 and 1915 respectively. Weil died shortly after Merton entered the Abbey of Gethsemani. It is unclear whether Weil knew of Merton, but Merton records being asked to review a biography of Weil (Simone Weil: A Fellowship in Love, Jacques Chabaud, 1964) and was challenged and inspired by her writing. “Her non-conformism and mysticism are essential elements in our time and without her contribution we remain not human.”
Sometimes I’m lucky and meet people open minded to these ideas. At other times I learn the dynamics of resistance. Either way I learn something. These ideas are not wanted where secularism is dominant. It isn’t a matter of me becoming more cutsey pooh but of secular resistance to the reality of the human condition.

As Prof. Needleman wrote, these ideas are not honored in our culture. The young become victims of metaphysical repression and spirit killing because of rejection. I’m on the side of keeping these ideas alive and It requires a quality of sincerity which is not wanted. Under these conditions what could be more logical than verbal abuse and cyber bullying?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

In reference to the OP, If you don't like the channel, change the program.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:06 am I have verified over time that the world hates the truth of the human condition.
If we need a human to declare the truth of the human condition then no such truth exists except those WE create...which we wouldn't need to do if the actual truth were acceptable to us.

...you have verified?? No doubt in your mind you have from secondary and tertiary sources who strive to rinse some truth from their reality but usually without any claims of verification.

Also, if the world does hate the truth of the human condition it's only because as currently existing it is hateful.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

thedoc wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:26 am In reference to the OP, If you don't like the channel, change the program.
Apparently you are an example of those who want to get down and dirty with the man of the hour, the tower of power, too sweet to be sour, the reflection of perfection and the number one selection, as you struggle in the mud to finally have your hand raised as prince of philosophy.

Others just like to politely discuss philosophy in a meaningful fashion. I guess it takes all kinds.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Greta wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:49 pm Aww Eodnhoj7, I was hoping to stay off the point of the OP - that horse has well and truly been flogged (and it turned out just to be a guy in a horsey suit anyway) and I quite enjoy dimensional chit chat :)
Just start a thread in the metaphysics or math section on whatever topic you can think of, you know I will be there faster than Nick and his judgements on us all.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:42 pm
Greta wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:49 pm Aww Eodnhoj7, I was hoping to stay off the point of the OP - that horse has well and truly been flogged (and it turned out just to be a guy in a horsey suit anyway) and I quite enjoy dimensional chit chat :)
Just start a thread in the metaphysics or math section on whatever topic you can think of, you know I will be there faster than Nick and his judgements on us all.
I find he can be quite interesting and informative at times when he's not being unpleasant.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:42 pm
Nonsense. You will be judged before you finish the first post and before Greta can write the name "Trump". I received my degree in Judgmentalism and astounded my professors with my thesis "How to Judge Women." I'm an old hand at this stuff.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Alas, he is more unpleasant than not so, yes, I take your point Eod :lol:
Greta

Post by Greta »

Yes, I judge you as a Trump fan. How can you support someone so dodgy, who is such a liar and so keenly destructive of nature at a time when ecosystems are in trouble?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:32 am Yes, I judge you as a Trump fan. How can you support someone so dodgy, who is such a liar and so keenly destructive of nature at a time when ecosystems are in trouble?
How can you support a secular progressive philosophy which seeks to create subservient slaves of the Great Beast and the loss of the striving for individuality? At least Trump respects this classic American need.

For example at one time the government worked for the American people. The people were the boss. Their individuality was respected. I noticed during the great Obama eligibility debate that this is no longer true. It is now universally accepted that the people work for the government.

American people desiring to do their civic duty and cast an educated vote first must have certified proof that a candidate is Constitutionally eligible for the presidency if they need it. Since there were questions, the people as the boss demanded certified proof of Obama's natural born citizenship. They were rudely awakened to the fact that they now work for the government and considered unworthy of and too stupid to deserve certified proof so were denied proof of this basic constitutional requirement. They were ridiculed for having the audacity to assume they were worthy and intelligent enough.

Donald Trump was at least concerned enough for the traditional American belief that the government works for the people. Politicians and the media unanimously agreed that American people were unworthy of and too stupid to deserve certified proof of natural born citizenship so why bother with it. The civic duty of the American people was now only to believe in, obey, and pay the bills of their government. The transformation of America was proceeding as scheduled. Trump isn’t willing to go along with it and would like the government to return to being the servant of the people. That is worth supporting
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 pm
Greta wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:32 am Yes, I judge you as a Trump fan. How can you support someone so dodgy, who is such a liar and so keenly destructive of nature at a time when ecosystems are in trouble?
How can you support a secular progressive philosophy which seeks to create subservient slaves of the Great Beast and the loss of the striving for individuality? At least Trump respects this classic American need.

For example at one time the government worked for the American people. The people were the boss. Their individuality was respected. I noticed during the great Obama eligibility debate that this is no longer true. It is now universally accepted that the people work for the government.
Okay, so you are better at religious history than you are with politics. Gosh, you really have been sold a pup. To start, Obama had no legacy - he wasn't allowed to do much by Congress, and the little he managed to push through was quickly reversed. The current situation in the US is largely a Republican debacle - from the disastrous military adventurism and tax cuts for the rich of GWB to Trump's tax cuts for the rich and environmental irresponsibility.

For decades now, governments everywhere have been representing institutions and organisations rather than the people. (America is not the only place in the world).

For example, try arranging a personal interview with a politician about an issue. You will be sent a form letter by an underling. Then try getting that personal interview as the representative of a billion dollar company - there will be a a red carpet greeting with an expensive spread with serving staff.

It is exactly those like Trump who have been responsible for the shift - always pushing for more benefits for the wealthy at the expense of little people and of the environment. This talk of individualism is ironic. What I see is a lot of rather cookie cutter people all claiming to be individual in exactly the same way by declaring their faith, their approval of guns, their disapproval of abortion and euthanasia, their disapproval of science and so on. They are more puppets than individuals.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:31 pm
Nick_A wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Okay, so you are better at religious history than you are with politics. Gosh, you really have been sold a pup. To start, Obama had no legacy - he wasn't allowed to do much by Congress, and the little he managed to push through was quickly reversed. The current situation in the US is largely a Republican debacle - from the disastrous military adventurism and tax cuts for the rich of GWB to Trump's tax cuts for the rich and environmental irresponsibility.

For decades now, governments everywhere have been representing institutions and organisations rather than the people. (America is not the only place in the world).

For example, try arranging a personal interview with a politician about an issue. You will be sent a form letter by an underling. Then try getting that personal interview as the representative of a billion dollar company - there will be a a red carpet greeting with an expensive spread with serving staff.

It is exactly those like Trump who have been responsible for the shift - always pushing for more benefits for the wealthy at the expense of little people and of the environment. This talk of individualism is ironic. What I see is a lot of rather cookie cutter people all claiming to be individual in exactly the same way by declaring their faith, their approval of guns, their disapproval of abortion and euthanasia, their disapproval of science and so on. They are more puppets than individuals.

I just don’t see the sense in arguing talking points. I could quote the advantages of corporate tax reduction and you could recite talking points for increasing taxes. It just goes on and on including a lot of verbal abuse and attempts at cyber bullying. I prefer to experience the essence of a philosophical issue. The essence of the Obama eligibility debate has come down to if American people are considered sufficiently worthy and intelligent enough to be worthy of this basic constitutional requirement for certified proof of eligibility. This is not a matter of small town bribery issues but a basic American constitutional protection.

The America experiment requires support of its Constitution. Once it becomes unanimously accepted by politicians, media, and people in power that American citizens no longer deserve the Constitutional protections, the American experiment is over. Arguments about taxes become meaningless for those who sense they are on a sinking ship. The Obama eligibility debate is direct “in your face” proof of how this grand collective called the American people are considered. I know it is hopeless but I share Simone Weil’s concern with why it has to be
"even if we can't prevent the forces of tyranny from prevailing, we can at least "understand the force by which we are crushed." Simone Weil
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:... The Obama eligibility debate is direct “in your face” proof of how this grand collective called the American people are considered. ...
You talking about this certified proof of eligibility?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ficate.jpg

Your Trumpette won't even post his tax-returns like previous presidents have but a 'black' president has to have his nationality questioned because hey how can a black man be so erudite, he just can't be a Yank.
p.s.
How the hell is 'African' a race?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:Christianity is part of a perennial philosophy and this philosophy always was. ...
Always was what?
The essence of Christianity didn't begin with Jesus: he actualized it. ...
I think you'll find the clue is in the name.
The very thing which is now called the Christian religion existed among the ancients also, nor was it wanting from the inception if the human race until the coming if Christ in the flesh, at which point the true religion which was already in existence began to be called Christian. -ST. AUGUSTINE, Retractiones
Just another christian sectarian trying to claim the past.

Which 'ancients'?

Still not hearing a single word from you about what it is you would actually be teaching the kids if you had your way?