Sales tricks

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants

Re: Sales tricks

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Fuck me that doesn't sound like something worth studying at all. But hey, weird and boring things of no importance get studied all the time.

I fail to see the point though, if a study returns some magic speed at which you should talk, you'll acquire the trick of talking at some other speed. It will still be a trick.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:58 pm Fuck me that doesn't sound like something worth studying at all. But hey, weird and boring things of no importance get studied all the time.

I fail to see the point though, if a study returns some magic speed at which you should talk, you'll acquire the trick of talking at some other speed. It will still be a trick.
You're the one who brought up about a salesman talking too fast which implies you are interested in the proper speed of talking to get your best chance of making the sale. But why speculate since you don't know what that speed is? And even if you did know what the best speed is, how would you get the salesperson to talk at that speed?

So you trapped yourself again FDP. Put some more thought into what you say.

PhilX 🇺🇸
FlashDangerpants

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:17 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:58 pm Fuck me that doesn't sound like something worth studying at all. But hey, weird and boring things of no importance get studied all the time.

You're the one who brought up about a salesman talking too fast which implies you are interested in the proper speed of talking to get your best chance of making the sale. But why speculate since you don't know what that speed is? And even if you did know what the best speed is, how would you get the salesperson to talk at that speed?

PhilX 🇺🇸
That's not an impressive trap you are springing there. I referred up front to this theory using your own words which of course can be found in this clip from Wolf of Wall Street. And in the thing you are objecting to, what I wrote there was...
"talking too fast and filling a pause in conversation"

So the most you have is a pathetically inane case that perhaps I should have written soon instead of speed. However you had to resort to quoting out of context to even get that much because in context there is no scope for confusion. So it really wasn't worth the effort.
Philosophy Explorer

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:48 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:17 am

PhilX 🇺🇸
That's not an impressive trap you are springing there. I referred up front to this theory using your own words which of course can be found in this clip from Wolf of Wall Street. And in the thing you are objecting to, what I wrote there was...
"talking too fast and filling a pause in conversation"

So the most you have is a pathetically inane case that perhaps I should have written soon instead of speed. However you had to resort to quoting out of context to even get that much because in context there is no scope for confusion. So it really wasn't worth the effort.
It's not my trap. You've trapped yourself (again).

PhilX 🇺🇸
FlashDangerpants

Erm. Ok, I guess I've decided not to be trapped then. I don't care if there is a proper speed for a sales drone to speak at. If you think there is some reason why I have to give a fuck about that, please identify exactly where and how I fell into this fiendish trap, and I will clarify or withdraw whichever point puts me in that position.

I wonder if that will be remotely difficult?
Philosophy Explorer

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:22 am Erm. Ok, I guess I've decided not to be trapped then. I don't care if there is a proper speed for a sales drone to speak at. If you think there is some reason why I have to give a fuck about that, please identify exactly where and how I fell into this fiendish trap, and I will clarify or withdraw whichever point puts me in that position.

I wonder if that will be remotely difficult?
What I'm interested in on this thread are sales tricks you may have run across. How did the rep deceive you?

PhilX 🇺🇸
EchoesOfTheHorizon

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

It isn't ever the speed, but the emotion.

And yeah, I figured out day one I was being screwed, that it was a pyramid scam, and the internet sold them way cheaper. But I needed money, as it wasn't possible to swim from Hawaii to California, and some did make money. I needed only enough for a plane ticket. Once it became certain I wouldn't make anything beyond a single paycheck (boss stopped paying me) I still stuck it out, cause I was broke anyway, but as a Cynic was something that wouldn't end me. It was a chance to study dire human nature, and I spent a few weeks just jumping through hoops merely to observe the nature of the insanity. I do this sometimes, because I can afford a state of ruin others can't tolerate, and walk away later. It teaches you a lot about ethics, and if you are rich enough to afford just giving up a month to abuse to study this phenomena, I strongly recommend it, you will be ruined by it, and if not, you are a sumbag piece of shit selling to people with onset dementia, or causing divorces when the spouse comes home discovering the outrageous bullshit new sale their gullible spouse made.

It isn't a good system. Talking fast isn't the characteristic that makes the sale, emotional manipulation is. It is pure exhortation. Direct path of the Basal Ganglia, Dildozing its way past your defences and rationality. You are either hyper excited, a asshole, a elderly friend to be pitied, or pure sex appeal. They will hire women to get the foot in the door, then bring in a man to do the work. They have a excellent dyke (she called herself that) who would also do the secretary work in the office, would go out once or twice a week dressed in skin tight dresses, oozing pure sex. I never felt anything to her once (wasn't unattractive, just didn't click in the interview as anything but a manager in my mind) but every guy hit on her, until they later on learned she wasn't at all into get, and that her girlfriend could bench press their body weight. Most of what she did was crawl around setting stuff up, kneeling like the guys were told to (so as not to give the feeling of domination, you wanted the buyer to feel in control, so they kneeled).... but when she kneeled in those dresses.... shit looked like it would rip open. She controlled the men, made nice money, seldom had to go out as a result.

When you talk fast, the fastness doesn't matter, it is the emotion and adrenaline that matters, in keeping pace. For a auctioneer, it is getting people ahead of themselves, pitting one another off in a race. They voice itself isn't the emotion, the competition is. A fast talking auctioneer with only one person in the room isn't going to sell much by running his mouth fast. He would have to change to a different mode of selling. The top seller was that old guy with the stroke, couldn't talk fast at all. He was pure sympathy. The Australian government passed laws more or less banning him from the country, so had to return back to the states (Hawaii was the closest), and given the pyramid nature of the Kirby group, had to start from the bottom. He was shaky and unsettled in his voice, and admitted he had to change his approach to selling after the stroke.

Absolutely is default best vacuum. Not worth $4000.

Oh, and the boss down there, he took in people doing all sorts of things, not just legit work histories, or similar sales jobs like life insurance, but also people selling drugs or phone scams. He was completely okay with that background, like hearing the details of their experience, and they always was open to talking about it. I thought it was a sting setup, but people kept commit in with these backgrounds. Like I said, he had a warrant for his arrest in Idaho. Crime and fast money excited him. I learned a lot about human nature from that experience, and it was financially devastating, I do recommend the experience to those who can afford to pursue such a lesson first hand. You'll learn a lot about scumbags. It was like a masters degree in ethics for me, exactly what never to do and what not to ever tolerate.