Sales tricks

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Sales tricks

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:41 am

(thanks to FDP for inspiring this thread). I don't believe in the legitimacy of "sales tricks." Here's an example.

I got a telemarketing call about a newspaper. The rep said I can receive it for two weeks free with no obligations to pay or subscribe. So I took up that offer. Later I got a bill because as it turned out, the rep put me in for a subscription so I cancelled the offer.

What do you know about sales tricks? What do you think?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

EchoesOfTheHorizon
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Sales tricks

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:40 am

I sold Kirby's for a month in a effort to escape Hawaii.

The worst assholes make the sales, but also the smoothest tongue. Seriously, nobody inbetween, you either gotta be a complete asshole or know how to manipulate everyone into buying on a unbelievable level. They had a old man selling a $4000 vacuum at least once a day, had a stroke so couldn't talk fast, but people would try to hear him out to make him feel good, and he made them feel real good in the end. In the end, they pay out $4000 for $150 worth of material. Great vacuum, just not $4000.

The assholes would vacuum spots, take up a massive amount of dirt, and when people said they didn't want to pay, after showing them the dirt on the pads, threw them pads back on the carpet and rubbed it in, saying it was their dirt. A Micronesian started that, and then the Micronesians and Filapinos after than started to follow suit. Was enough to get people to freak out and buy the vacuum.

I learned a important lesson from all this. I don't like selling vacuums. Especially in the slums of Hawaii, off in some neighborhood concreted over and slum laden, hot as fuck and no water anywhere, and nothing but fat Samoans all knowing your lines by heart from the last 20 guys who tried to sell them that crap. I only had one conscious free sale (no guilt), and actually had to back out on a few because I came to the conclusion that the people were too stupid to know NOT to buy yet another. One white inbred couple from the mainland was so impressed with my sales pitch, and wanted to buy, and walked to the closet to show me they already had TWO $4000 vacuums, and wanted to buy a new one because they ran out of bags. I said they could just buy new bags, if they had cash, but said they only had credit, and wanted to trade their most recent vacuum they were still paying off for $50 worth of bags.... the husband became interested half way through enough to roll off the bed and put pants on. I didn't like that house, and it wasn't even close to my most bizarre experience.

The "owner" of that Kirby Ponzi scheme was a expert in getting into anyone's house. Used absolute excitement. He didn't buy my line that people wouldn't let me into vacuum, told me to point at a house, and I was inside from him talking really excited to a Indian woman (who turned out to be a airforce colonel) and sorta threw me inside while talking to her.... and I couldn't believe it, half expected the cops to show up. She made a purchase.... and I never got paid for it, the asshole pocketed the sale money despite me taking a hour to walk her through. Couple sales I never saw money from. I stuck in way too long, was in tatters towards the end, and lost my damn key to my storage bin that I kept my clean clothes in, was rapidly wearing out my clothing. However, I learned a lot about human nature from it. Also learned a giant red penis kings sits at the center of Oahu, and it has a carpeted outdoor orgy place off in the woods near it. Used to be able to see the carpeted area from google earth. Old thread talking about it:

http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... nis+Hawaii

I've come to the conclusion that it is best never to allow people to sell stuff to you, watch ads, etc.... if you want something, seek it out on your own online or in a store, and don't talk to salesmen till it is time to make a decision.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Sales tricks

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Want to add that you can read up further on companies such as Primerica and Kirby Distributors by googling Primerica complaints and Kirby Distributors complaints and noting that these are multi-level businesses (also referred to as pyramid-schemed companies).

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1086
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Sales tricks

Post by FlashDangerpants » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:13 pm

For those who can't be bothered reading the original, and highly shit discussion, Philx is proud of himself for making use of the technique you will find in this clip from Wolf of Wall Street.

It's a very simple trick where a telesales guy asks a leading question and then just waits until the other guy answers it rather than getting all embarrassed by some silence and moving on. Phil is super pissy that I don't recognise it as a something grander than just a trick.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Sales tricks

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:17 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:13 pm
For those who can't be bothered reading the original, and highly shit discussion, Philx is proud of himself for making use of the technique you will find in this clip from Wolf of Wall Street.

It's a very simple trick where a telesales guy asks a leading question and then just waits until the other guy answers it rather than getting all embarrassed by some silence and moving on. Phil is super pissy that I don't recognise it as a something grander than just a trick.
One-track mind.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1086
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Sales tricks

Post by FlashDangerpants » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:29 pm

It's a trick mate. In the other thread you used this stupid argument to get out of discussing the logical problem you had with your argument. Now you are opening up a whole other thread to bitch in.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Sales tricks

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:36 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:29 pm
It's a trick mate. In the other thread you used this stupid argument to get out of discussing the logical problem you had with your argument. Now you are opening up a whole other thread to bitch in.
You're tricking yourself.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Sales tricks

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:07 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:29 pm
It's a trick mate. In the other thread you used this stupid argument to get out of discussing the logical problem you had with your argument. Now you are opening up a whole other thread to bitch in.
BTW, it's none of your business if I open up a new thread to pursue a different subject as that's my decision to make, not yours. You're annoyed that you've inspired this new thread. You could have elected to ignore this new thread.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1086
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Sales tricks

Post by FlashDangerpants » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Replying to a post, then getting obsessive and replying to the same one again half an hour later Phil? That's a lot of angry brooding you are doing there.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Sales tricks

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:43 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:26 pm
Replying to a post, then getting obsessive and replying to the same one again half an hour later Phil? That's a lot of angry brooding you are doing there.
I don't get angry. Just making myself clear.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6154
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Sales tricks

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:07 pm

That guy's such a ham. Oh, and why should whoever speaks first 'lose'?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6154
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Sales tricks

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 pm

EchoesOfTheHorizon wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:40 am
I sold Kirby's for a month in a effort to escape Hawaii.

The worst assholes make the sales, but also the smoothest tongue. Seriously, nobody inbetween, you either gotta be a complete asshole or know how to manipulate everyone into buying on a unbelievable level. They had a old man selling a $4000 vacuum at least once a day, had a stroke so couldn't talk fast, but people would try to hear him out to make him feel good, and he made them feel real good in the end. In the end, they pay out $4000 for $150 worth of material. Great vacuum, just not $4000.

The assholes would vacuum spots, take up a massive amount of dirt, and when people said they didn't want to pay, after showing them the dirt on the pads, threw them pads back on the carpet and rubbed it in, saying it was their dirt. A Micronesian started that, and then the Micronesians and Filapinos after than started to follow suit. Was enough to get people to freak out and buy the vacuum.

I learned a important lesson from all this. I don't like selling vacuums. Especially in the slums of Hawaii, off in some neighborhood concreted over and slum laden, hot as fuck and no water anywhere, and nothing but fat Samoans all knowing your lines by heart from the last 20 guys who tried to sell them that crap. I only had one conscious free sale (no guilt), and actually had to back out on a few because I came to the conclusion that the people were too stupid to know NOT to buy yet another. One white inbred couple from the mainland was so impressed with my sales pitch, and wanted to buy, and walked to the closet to show me they already had TWO $4000 vacuums, and wanted to buy a new one because they ran out of bags. I said they could just buy new bags, if they had cash, but said they only had credit, and wanted to trade their most recent vacuum they were still paying off for $50 worth of bags.... the husband became interested half way through enough to roll off the bed and put pants on. I didn't like that house, and it wasn't even close to my most bizarre experience.

The "owner" of that Kirby Ponzi scheme was a expert in getting into anyone's house. Used absolute excitement. He didn't buy my line that people wouldn't let me into vacuum, told me to point at a house, and I was inside from him talking really excited to a Indian woman (who turned out to be a airforce colonel) and sorta threw me inside while talking to her.... and I couldn't believe it, half expected the cops to show up. She made a purchase.... and I never got paid for it, the asshole pocketed the sale money despite me taking a hour to walk her through. Couple sales I never saw money from. I stuck in way too long, was in tatters towards the end, and lost my damn key to my storage bin that I kept my clean clothes in, was rapidly wearing out my clothing. However, I learned a lot about human nature from it. Also learned a giant red penis kings sits at the center of Oahu, and it has a carpeted outdoor orgy place off in the woods near it. Used to be able to see the carpeted area from google earth. Old thread talking about it:

http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... nis+Hawaii

I've come to the conclusion that it is best never to allow people to sell stuff to you, watch ads, etc.... if you want something, seek it out on your own online or in a store, and don't talk to salesmen till it is time to make a decision.
I let a Kirby person come to my house years ago because they said they would do a 'free carpet clean' (yes I was young and naive--not stupid though). I let them clean the carpet, said thanks, and that was it. What sort of moron would pay thousands of dollars for a vacuum cleaner?

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1086
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Sales tricks

Post by FlashDangerpants » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:07 pm
That guy's such a ham. Oh, and why should whoever speaks first 'lose'?
The idea is that overenthusiastic sales guys piss on their own sale by talking too fast and filling a pause in conversation where the other guy is still thinking of his answer to the question. Nothing too amazing right? A trick really, nothing more.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6154
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Sales tricks

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:07 pm
That guy's such a ham. Oh, and why should whoever speaks first 'lose'?
The idea is that overenthusiastic sales guys piss on their own sale by talking too fast and filling a pause in conversation where the other guy is still thinking of his answer to the question. Nothing too amazing right? A trick really, nothing more.
Just looks like an obnoxious, loud-mouthed wanker to me. That sort of thing isn't well received over here.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Sales tricks

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:07 pm
That guy's such a ham. Oh, and why should whoever speaks first 'lose'?
The idea is that overenthusiastic sales guys piss on their own sale by talking too fast and filling a pause in conversation where the other guy is still thinking of his answer to the question. Nothing too amazing right? A trick really, nothing more.
Then what's the optimum rate of talking? What speed produces the most sales? (has such an experiment been done?)

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests