Bobby Ewing in the Shower

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by marjoram_blues » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 am

'It was all a dream'.

Anyone remember that gloriously epic nonsense from Dallas, the 80's soap opera ?
Where he was brought back from the dead, after an entire season. The explanation - it was a dream in Pam's head.

As soap operas go, I think the PN forum is right up there !
There's an addictive quality to it. Tune in for the latest street fight. Who would be Vera and Jack ?
Even if you let it alone for a season, or two, you could easily pick up where you left off.
The characters fairly predictable in their reactions to life events. Particularly, the gun squabbles.
The left and right positioning. Who needs a script...it writes itself.

A bit of a shame really.
What if we started over...

A blank slate job rather than repeats. Imagining. What if...I had been born and brought up differently. What if...we could actually feel the pain, or pleasure, of being in an extreme situation.
And it completely changes your view. Pity that it takes being a victim of a massacre to bring home a certain truth. Do you need to 'be there' to be able to fully empathise with others.

What kind of brain flexibility is required to participate in a 'Thought Experiment'?
Or even listen to, not just hear, the story-line of another character.
Too difficult to swap roles...even for a brief showering-off the debris that clings...

It's not all a Dream. Whether American, British, West or East.
Some of it is a complete nightmare for individuals; invisible, divisible, unable to change.
We are so privileged to be part of a little scene in the PN forum.
I like the walk on, walk off facility.
A bit player with some fought, farce and frightful frivolity.

'It's life, Jim, but not as we know it'.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by Dalek Prime » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:00 pm

marjoram_blues wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 am
'It was all a dream'.

Anyone remember that gloriously epic nonsense from Dallas, the 80's soap opera ?
Where he was brought back from the dead, after an entire season. The explanation - it was a dream in Pam's head.

As soap operas go, I think the PN forum is right up there !
There's an addictive quality to it. Tune in for the latest street fight. Who would be Vera and Jack ?
Even if you let it alone for a season, or two, you could easily pick up where you left off.
The characters fairly predictable in their reactions to life events. Particularly, the gun squabbles.
The left and right positioning. Who needs a script...it writes itself.

A bit of a shame really.
What if we started over...

A blank slate job rather than repeats. Imagining. What if...I had been born and brought up differently. What if...we could actually feel the pain, or pleasure, of being in an extreme situation.
And it completely changes your view. Pity that it takes being a victim of a massacre to bring home a certain truth. Do you need to 'be there' to be able to fully empathise with others.

What kind of brain flexibility is required to participate in a 'Thought Experiment'?
Or even listen to, not just hear, the story-line of another character.
Too difficult to swap roles...even for a brief showering-off the debris that clings...

It's not all a Dream. Whether American, British, West or East.
Some of it is a complete nightmare for individuals; invisible, divisible, unable to change.
We are so privileged to be part of a little scene in the PN forum.
I like the walk on, walk off facility.
A bit player with some fought, farce and frightful frivolity.

'It's life, Jim, but not as we know it'.
Didn't Pam Ewing do a commercial for Herbal Essense shampoo back when? (Shower reference.)

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by marjoram_blues » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:11 am

Victoria Principal played the part of Pam Ewing for 9 years, 1978-1987.

According to wiki, she was the only one in the cast whose contract allowed her, and not the network, to keep control of image and profit from e.g. commercials, write books, etc.
Clever entrepreneur and philanthropist.

So, yeah, she probably washed her hair on air...
Strange how we retain images of actors and associate them with products.
Seldom looking beyond.

A bit like here, I suppose.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3846
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by Harbal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:29 pm

marjoram_blues wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 am

As soap operas go, I think the PN forum is right up there !
I would say it's more like one of those "reality" shows like Big Brother or I'm a (erstwhile) Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here. Everyone pretending to be something they're not.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:02 pm

Sorry I'm all out of flying fucks.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3846
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by Harbal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:21 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:02 pm
Sorry I'm all out of flying fucks.
Still, it was thoughtful of you to go out of your way in order to let us know how disinterested you are.

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:32 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:02 pm
Sorry I'm all out of flying fucks.
Cavemen were first with flying ducks on the wall.
Apparently, they are shamanic symbols...
Oh, 'Fuuuuck'...

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:37 am

Harbal wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:29 pm
marjoram_blues wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 am

As soap operas go, I think the PN forum is right up there !
I would say it's more like one of those "reality" shows like Big Brother or I'm a (erstwhile) Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here. Everyone pretending to be something they're not.
Once upon a time, long, long ago - I sat up all night watching celebrities sleep.
Then, a flying duck fell off the wall and broke my head.
When I woke up there was this space I had to fill.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:23 pm

marjoram_blues wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:32 am
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:02 pm
Sorry I'm all out of flying fucks.
Cavemen were first with flying ducks on the wall.
Apparently, they are shamanic symbols...
Oh, 'Fuuuuck'...
Fuck a duck!

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:24 pm

marjoram_blues wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:37 am
Harbal wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:29 pm
marjoram_blues wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 am

As soap operas go, I think the PN forum is right up there !
I would say it's more like one of those "reality" shows like Big Brother or I'm a (erstwhile) Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here. Everyone pretending to be something they're not.
Once upon a time, long, long ago - I sat up all night watching celebrities sleep.
Then, a flying duck fell off the wall and broke my head.
When I woke up there was this space I had to fill.
Did you give a flying duck?

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Harbal wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:21 pm
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:02 pm
Sorry I'm all out of flying fucks.
Still, it was thoughtful of you to go out of your way in order to let us know how disinterested you are.

I'm not disinterested, though I am uninterested.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3846
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by Harbal » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:25 pm
I'm not disinterested, though I am uninterested.
In the same way as you are uninteresting rather than disinteresting, you mean?

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:08 pm

Harbal wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:58 pm
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:25 pm
I'm not disinterested, though I am uninterested.
In the same way as you are uninteresting rather than disinteresting, you mean?

No in the same way that you continually show us that you left school at 15 - best you wish you had not confessed that?? LOL

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:24 pm
marjoram_blues wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:37 am
Harbal wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:29 pm


I would say it's more like one of those "reality" shows like Big Brother or I'm a (erstwhile) Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here. Everyone pretending to be something they're not.
Once upon a time, long, long ago - I sat up all night watching celebrities sleep.
Then, a flying duck fell off the wall and broke my head.
When I woke up there was this space I had to fill.
Did you give a flying duck?
There's a certain degree of giving a duck that is involved in not giving a duck.
Oh...'Fuuuuuuck'.

Well, when one is left with only 2 ducks on a wall, with a clean duck-shaped space in between, what does one do? One can ponder, with broken head, and think of it as an existential rabbit.
Or one can DIY. GAF. The mental space first.

So, then I wandered in to the PN forum....
Where all sorts of people were giving ducks.
Or should that be sitting fucks...

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Bobby Ewing in the Shower

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:08 pm
Harbal wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:58 pm
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:25 pm
I'm not disinterested, though I am uninterested.
In the same way as you are uninteresting rather than disinteresting, you mean?

No in the same way that you continually show us that you left school at 15 - best you wish you had not confessed that?? LOL
Pissant ! - ish. As described by Kurt Vonnegut.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests