Yikes looks like we're all going to get fried alive.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Yikes looks like we're all going to get fried alive.

Post by Dontaskme »

According to last nights itv program,TONIGHT ...the world is 2 minutes to midnight away from Nuclear war with North Korea

Could the unimaginable ever happen?

Arising_uk

Re: Yikes looks like we're all going to get fried alive.

Post by Arising_uk »

Sure. Why do you think you'll get fried?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 pm Sure. Why do you think you'll get fried?
Well I'm hardly going to come out of an attack with just a mild case of sunburn
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:22 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 pm Sure. Why do you think you'll get fried?
We actually will, because we'll be able to just stop the 'attack' before they even see a glimpse of the US mainland.

More than 40 years ago, we could successfully intercept Soviet Union ICBMs quite proficiently. Even now, Russia haven't been able to complete a missile we're unable to track. What makes you think North Korea, whose technology is based on and learned from the Soviets - except with even less of a working power grid and being on an even more isolated geographical location - would be able to make a missile that we wouldn't be able to intercept?

The media has been very deceptive with how they've covered this missile debacle. Yes, their ICBMs can technically reach us in computable distance alone, but that doesn't mean they're able to hit us, period.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

You live in Asia?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

More than 40 years ago, we could successfully intercept Soviet Union ICBMs quite proficiently. Even now, Russia haven't been able to complete a missile we're unable to track. ...
Tracking and hitting them are different things, plus with the destructive power and the numbers it didn't matter if only a couple got through and MIRV's mean quite a few will get through.
What makes you think North Korea, whose technology is based on and learned from the Soviets - except with even less of a working power grid and being on an even more isolated geographical location - would be able to make a missile that we wouldn't be able to intercept?

The media has been very deceptive with how they've covered this missile debacle. Yes, their ICBMs can technically reach us in computable distance alone, but that doesn't mean they're able to hit us, period.
I think this is true tho' as they are nowhere near up to the latest Russian technology. Which makes you wonder what Trump is up to, is it that he is just a stupid egotist?
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:38 pm Tracking and hitting them are different things, plus with the destructive power and the numbers it didn't matter if only a couple got through and MIRV's mean quite a few will get through.
Well, if we don't get to it before warhead separation. It's one of the reasons why I bring up their geographical disposition, because they would have to fly over 1000s of miles of open sea and at least 2 major military bases before getting to the mainland - those bases being the one in Guam and Pearl Harbor. But do we even know if North Korea have MIRVs? If they do and it's an early generation model that can only carry 2-3 vehicles, which I'd assume it would be, it may not be impossible to shoot down after separation. If it's something greater than that, and their MIRVs can carry 5-14 vehicles, I think the result of our defense options does become much foggier, should we fail to intercept them before separation.
Which makes you wonder what Trump is up to, is it that he is just a stupid egotist?
What do you mean? I think he's doing much more to lower tensions with Russia than most politicians, if that's the concern you're getting at.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote:Well, if we don't get to it before warhead separation. It's one of the reasons why I bring up their geographical disposition, because they would have to fly over 1000s of miles of open sea and at least 2 major military bases before getting to the mainland - those bases being the one in Guam and Pearl Harbor. But do we even know if North Korea have MIRVs? If they do and it's an early generation model that can only carry 3 vehicles, which I'd assume it would be, it may not be impossible to shoot down after separation. If it's something greater than that, and their MIRVs can carry 5-14 vehicles, I think the result of our defense options does become much foggier, should we fail to intercept them before separation. ...
I was talking about the Soviets/Russia as I thought you were?
What do you mean? I think he's doing much more to lower tensions with Russia than most politicians, if that's the concern you're getting at.
No my concern is that NK is no threat to the US but he's ramping-up tension with China? That and that the Asians are having doubts about the US commitment anymore so they well might be going down the nuke route themselves.

I really worry about his ties to Russia as it's making Putin feel that he may be able to get away with annexing more of Europe by force and the US won't stand with NATO anymore. Let's not forget that you are talking about ex-kgb here.

I also worry that he's going to cause Iran to go back to developing nuclear weapons as well.

Hey ho.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:11 am I was talking about the Soviets/Russia as I thought you were?
Well, I brought them up as a comparison to North Korea, so I thought you were responding to that. I mean, Russia could definitely launch a couple bad mama jamas our way that would boil us up into a heap of trouble. In nukes alone, I've heard they're far superior to us, but I don't think the tensions are quite there yet to start worrying about it, and it's better off now than under some previous leadership, in my opinion.
No my concern is that NK is no threat to the US but he's ramping-up tension with China? That and that the Asians are having doubts about the US commitment anymore so they well might be going down the nuke route themselves.

I really worry about his ties to Russia as it's making Putin feel that he may be able to get away with annexing more of Europe by force and the US won't stand with NATO anymore. Let's not forget that you are talking about ex-kgb here.
I mean, he's clearly not an orator of the world, but I actually think he's done alright with china, and much better than he's handled some other countries. But I do believe he's hyper-actively aware that we can't go into a war with North Korea should china decide to back them. I think he knows we can't, and exactly why we haven't, done a preemptive strike on them for this reason; In very recent reports, I think tension has actually lowered with China, what with them recently ceasing a number of their supplies being sent to North Korea. I'm not sure Trump can be thanked for it, or if North Korea can be blamed for it due to their recent bombastic statements, but I'm willing to give him the credit.

In spite of his Syrian strike - which I thought was a mistake, to be clear - I still think Trump's stance on Russia stands as the better option when compared to most other political candidates and world leaders right now. I take the position that there's a lot of unfounded hysteria from a lot of the same people who claim they also want to deescalate things with Russia, but if there he does have any 'ties to Russia', I don't think it's in any way that would harm another country. I think if there's anything that's going to push Putin to do something rash, it'll more likely be this badgering from much of the mainstream media. I mean, maybe Rex Tilerson has made some economic decisions which indirectly gives them more power in the world, but I don't think it's at all rational to worry about them overthrowing one of our allies anytime soon.
I also worry that he's going to cause Iran to go back to developing nuclear weapons as well.
Oh? and why is that? Because he's increasing our forces to the middle east?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote:... In nukes alone, I've heard they're far superior to us, ...
No idea where you heard this as the USA is the most heavily armed nation on the planet with respect to advanced weaponry.
but I don't think the tensions are quite there yet to start worrying about it, and it's better off now than under some previous leadership, in my opinion. ...
Well between you and them maybe but for Europe this is very worrying, especially since Russians see anything other than fear as a lack of respect. So allowing them to act with impunity in world affairs will just embolden them to do more. There's also the problem that having the leader of the so-called 'free world' an admirer of dictatorial oligarchs bodes ill for the future of democracy around the planet. But hey ho maybe it is time to go back to such things.
Oh? and why is that? Because he's increasing our forces to the middle east?
No, because he's talking about abandoning the agreements.

Still, its all speculation and if America goes back to isolation and protectionism the world will be in interesting times and who knows maybe better off in the long-run without American hegemony.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:52 am
Arising_uk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:11 am I was talking about the Soviets/Russia as I thought you were?
Well, I brought them up as a comparison to North Korea, so I thought you were responding to that. I mean, Russia could definitely launch a couple bad mama jamas our way that would boil us up into a heap of trouble. In nukes alone, I've heard they're far superior to us, but I don't think the tensions are quite there yet to start worrying about it, and it's better off now than under some previous leadership, in my opinion.
The US and Russia have so many nukes that the question that one country might be superior to the other is meaningless
NK is a completely different story.
There is no evidence that Nk can put a nuke on a missile and certainly they have no missile that can reach US territory.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Humans are so depressingly easy to manipulate. Just look at how easily the US has whipped up world paranoia over North Korea, its next victim of choice. I don't even bother reading about it. If humans are that determined to obliterate themselves then fuck them. We've always been an odious species anyway.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:27 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote:... In nukes alone, I've heard they're far superior to us, ...
No idea where you heard this as the USA is the most heavily armed nation on the planet with respect to advanced weaponry.
It's based on the idea that they update them more frequently. Maybe it's debatable. While I don't doubt we have the strongest military - although, it's not as strong relative to the money we put into it - it doesn't mean we're the best in every single regard.
Well between you and them maybe but for Europe this is very worrying, especially since Russians see anything other than fear as a lack of respect. So allowing them to act with impunity in world affairs will just embolden them to do more. There's also the problem that having the leader of the so-called 'free world' an admirer of dictatorial oligarchs bodes ill for the future of democracy around the planet. But hey ho maybe it is time to go back to such things.
If the Russians did do anything to disrupt the election, it was just by leaking information to Wikileaks. You can love it or hate it, personally I have a hard time being mad at someone who just tells me the truth, and I've always been on the side of whistle-blowers and leakers. If it turns out there's proof they tried to disrupt the election in actually trying to hack into the voting machines, I think I'll be on board with you. However, even if they, it doesn't mean trump was aware of it.

I also have to deny the notion that Trump is as close to putin as you imply. I think he's been making pragmatic choices as a way to do exactly what people on the left have been calling for a long time, lowering tensions with Russia.
Still, its all speculation and if America goes back to isolation and protectionism the world will be in interesting times and who knows maybe better off in the long-run without American hegemony.
What did Russia reveal which compromised the security of the nation? I get that if I were a government official who's negative information was being leaked due to them, I'd be pretty pissed, but as a civilian who wants a more open government to begin with, it just makes the subject of the leak look bad.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote:It's based on the idea that they update them more frequently. Maybe it's debatable. While I don't doubt we have the strongest military - although, it's not as strong relative to the money we put into it - it doesn't mean we're the best in every single regard. ...
When it comes to heavy weaponry you are.
If the Russians did do anything to disrupt the election, it was just by leaking information to Wikileaks. You can love it or hate it, personally I have a hard time being mad at someone who just tells me the truth, and I've always been on the side of whistle-blowers and leakers. If it turns out there's proof they tried to disrupt the election in actually trying to hack into the voting machines, I think I'll be on board with you. However, even if they, it doesn't mean trump was aware of it. ...
Seen the latest stuff on how they used wastebook and twatter?
I also have to deny the notion that Trump is as close to putin as you imply. I think he's been making pragmatic choices as a way to do exactly what people on the left have been calling for a long time, lowering tensions with Russia.
Nah! A tinpot oligarch like him will adore a real one.
What did Russia reveal which compromised the security of the nation? I get that if I were a government official who's negative information was being leaked due to them, I'd be pretty pissed, but as a civilian who wants a more open government to begin with, it just makes the subject of the leak look bad.
I think them pissing about big-style with wastebook and twatter and trying and seemingly succeeding in a small way to cause division and strife amongst the American people a fairly serious touch of espionage myself.