Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Re: President Trump's Comments About On-Field Political Protests by NFL Players

Post by bobevenson »

True, but it's so stupid!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I agree, Bob, but it is what it is.

I imagine the owners believe they're gettin' a jump on things, adopting a position they've assessed will be conventional a bit down the road. In other words, they willin' to take a loss now in hopes of rakin' in bigger bucks tomorrow. I think they've mis-assessed and are gonna get bit in the ass in an even bigger way down the road.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Walker wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:02 am One of the things which Trump is absolutely correct about, is left-wing PC culture. Unfortunately, this has blind-sighted him to the PC culture of the right.

Let NFL players do whatever they want. To call for a ban on anthem kneeling is absurd.
The players agreed to stand for the anthem when they signed the contract and accepted the money.
Which is a very different argument then the president has been bringing up specifically, and his intention. I'm also not aware that such a thing existed in their contract, could you provide a source?

Walker wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:32 pmTrump is just voicing everyman’s disdain for the phony angst of millionaire athletes. No big deal, but the haters will seize on anything. Football has changed from the glory days. Instant replay has corrupted the simulacrum of city vs. city combat into a spectacle fit for armchair adjudicators. Football should be more like life is, in that regard. No instant replays.
I would say a fairly direct assault on free speech is a pretty 'big deal'. If he was just voicing his disdain, then okay, but it's more than that and he's called for those who don't stand for the anthem to be fired.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:06 pm I would say a fairly direct assault on free speech is a pretty 'big deal'.
Please, NFL team owners didn't spend tens of millions of dollars to provide players with a free international stage to promote their personal or political beliefs!
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

bobevenson wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:21 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:06 pm I would say a fairly direct assault on free speech is a pretty 'big deal'.
Please, NFL team owners didn't spend tens of millions of dollars to provide players with a free international stage to promote their personal or political beliefs!
I don't really see how this rebuts my objection that the president is making comments that goes against the spirit of free speech.

Regardless, this is exactly what forcing them to take the anthem does; it promotes a political belief.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Then they should quit their million-dollar jobs and find another line of work!
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

bobevenson wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:18 pm Then they should quit their million-dollar jobs and find another line of work!
So they should quit their current occupation because they would rather promote their own political belief, than the one the NFL defaults to?

Your views on the issue seem a bit shaky to me. Earlier you were saying how it's stupid that people should be expected to stand up for the flag, but now, quite passionately, you also want to force the NFL players to do just that?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Listen, pal, just like every other fucking job on this planet, you do what your boss asks you to do, or you hit the fucking highway!
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

President Trump is not the boss of the NFL players, and it doesn't mean your boss should have that rule.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

We're not talking about Trump who just says whatever comes into his mind. We're talking about NFL ownership demanding that their players stand at attention during the national anthem. If you can't get that simple proposition through your mind, you're in need of intensive therapy. This has nothing to do with free speech because those bastards can kneel down or say whatever they want on their own time!
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Do you remember how Tim Tebow used to get down on one knee as a moment of prayer? Can you imagine if the religious players after introductions would all get down on one knee for Jesus? You would never hear the end of it. All that free speech nonsense would be gone and the cry of "who do these players think they are" would resonate through corrupt mainstream media.

Now how do I talk Tim Tebow into starting a movement?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

You have got to be joking!

From where we sit your sportsmen and women do nothing but spout on about 'God' and their faith.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

bobevenson wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 pm We're not talking about Trump who just says whatever comes into his mind. We're talking about NFL ownership demanding that their players stand at attention during the national anthem. If you can't get that simple proposition through your mind, you're in need of intensive therapy. This has nothing to do with free speech because those bastards can kneel down or say whatever they want on their own time!
I'm not aware that the NFL does. But even if so, the NFL hasn't publicly come out to really reinforce this rule. They don't apparently care. I mean, if your concern is simply about an employee following the rule books, how is that even something you care about? Let the heads of the NFL worry about it.

Maybe you don't care that the sitting US president is making passing comments that dabbles in censorship, it's the only reason any of us are talking about it right now.
Last edited by Sir-Sister-of-Suck on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

I think it's so weird that you're openly against the 'pledge of allegiance', and assumable, standing for the anthem - but within the same thread you (quite passionately) think the NFL should sternly reinforce the admittedly arbitrary rule dictating that they need to stand for the flag. I can see why you'd want a company to reinforce its rules, but I don't see how you'd want a company to reinforce a rule you don't even care about. It seems like you're in a deep, and strangely pragmatic battle with your own mind.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:36 am Maybe you don't care that the sitting US president is making passing comments that dabbles in censorship.
Please, expressing an opinion is not dabbling in censorship.