Reading at meals.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Reading at meals.

Post by thedoc »

Walker wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:45 pm How many books would you say that you have read?
Too many to count, and most of them I no longer have.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

duszek wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:56 am Many people read a newspaper at breakfast.
Some use it as a strategy to avoid talking to the spouse.
Some get started for the day that way.

If the news make you angry or disgusted or simply excited is it good or detrimental ?

I have taken to reading a book by Coelho "The fifth mountain", in the French version.
I found it by chance, the sentences are very short and simple, so I read them or parts of them and memorize they slowly, contemplate them, munch them, ruminating food and pieces of French language at the same time.
That way I keep my mind busy and avoid worry attacks.

Any thoughts ?
Morons love to fill their heads with the opinions of others (the established view) just in case someone asks them their own during the day. So they have a ready store of hate filled shit to unload on others, many of whom have read the same shit they have, and can agree with one another about how awful everyone else is. This is a substitute for social cohesion so lacking in large populations.
Some use the radio for the same end.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 pm
duszek wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:56 am Many people read a newspaper at breakfast.

If the news make you angry or disgusted or simply excited is it good or detrimental ?

I have taken to reading a book by Coelho "The fifth mountain", in the French version.
I found it by chance, the sentences are very short and simple, so I read them or parts of them and memorize they slowly, contemplate them, munch them, ruminating food and pieces of French language at the same time.

Any thoughts ?
Morons love to fill their heads with the opinions of others (the established view) just in case someone asks them their own during the day. So they have a ready store of hate filled shit to unload on others, many of whom have read the same shit they have, and can agree with one another about how awful everyone else is. This is a substitute for social cohesion so lacking in large populations.
Brings to mind the Antifa, modern day brownshirts watered down into the black costumes of ostensible anarchists, existing only to focus violence upon all things Trump under the wink of so-called resistance funding and politics that permit lax protection of civil rights via assaults upon the peace-loving. Unlike the KKK (the militia branch of the Democratic Party) Brown shirts were crushed into a little brown spot. What fate awaits the system-antagonistic Antifa other than to fall to a constitutional system that has survived other corruptions to eventually root out the conspirators.
Walker

Post by Walker »

thedoc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:45 am
Walker wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:45 pm How many books would you say that you have read?
Would you say that you read with greater frequency and variety during the formative years of physical growth and development?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:19 pm
thedoc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:45 am
Would you say that you read with greater frequency and variety during the formative years of physical growth and development?
As best I can remember I did most of my reading right after graduating from college and for many years after that.
duszek

Post by duszek »

A question:

Is it o.k. to eat if you are reading ?

Is it o.k. to read if you are eating ?

It´s not the same, is it ?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

duszek wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:30 pm A question:

Is it o.k. to eat if you are reading ?

Is it o.k. to read if you are eating ?

It´s not the same, is it ?
I' retired so I spend most of my time home alone and I eat many of my meals at my desk in front of the computer screen reading posts on forums.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Does one activity improve the quality of the other ?

I mean: does eating make forum sessions more enjoyable ? Does reading posts make eating more relaxed and gratifying ?
Skip

Post by Skip »

duszek wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:43 pm Reading at meals is bad manners ?
If one is sharing a meal with another person, yes. Share the meal. Pay attention to the food and the company. Especially if one of the people at the table cooked the food.
But if both read and now and then interrupt and share an interesting piece of news then this is good and friendly.
Interrupting is also bad manners. I suppose it's possible that two people are so well attuned to each other that they can make mutual ignoring of each other, and of what they're eating, and whatever else may be going on around them, and all other aspects of the present moment, and periodic interruptions of their separate readings, both good and friendly. Possible, but so rare that I wouldn't take that percentage as a predictor of normal relationships.
Talking with a full mouth is difficult anyway. And swallowing like a snake before replying is difficult too.
As well as terrible manners and grossly unattractive to anyone watching from the other side of a table.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Skip wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:14 am
duszek wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:43 pm Reading at meals is bad manners ?
If one is sharing a meal with another person, yes. Share the meal. Pay attention to the food and the company. Especially if one of the people at the table cooked the food.
But if both read and now and then interrupt and share an interesting piece of news then this is good and friendly.
Interrupting is also bad manners. I suppose it's possible that two people are so well attuned to each other that they can make mutual ignoring of each other, and of what they're eating, and whatever else may be going on around them, and all other aspects of the present moment, and periodic interruptions of their separate readings, both good and friendly. Possible, but so rare that I wouldn't take that percentage as a predictor of normal relationships.
Talking with a full mouth is difficult anyway. And swallowing like a snake before replying is difficult too.
As well as terrible manners and grossly unattractive to anyone watching from the other side of a table.
Eating can be very sexy, and funny.

Breakfast is an exception, a transition period. At breakfast, spare the other your brilliance with the courtesy of peace and silence, to think their own thoughts rather than your thoughts, or to think of the written news rather than your thoughts, and if the other does require that you join in with thinking the other’s thoughts, then do so and don’t pretend, replying with the honest degree of your interest at the time, dropping the sarcastic meh. Such basic manners need not extend beyond the time of breaking the fast, into all situations, for if you’re always engaged in the thoughts of the other then you risk becoming the other’s monkey. Consider that the silence of the old ones is the politeness of engaging at a level of interest.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Any thoughts ?
Brings to mind the Antifa, modern day brownshirts watered down into the black costumes of ostensible anarchists, existing only to focus violence upon all things Trump under the wink of so-called resistance funding and politics that permit lax protection of civil rights via assaults upon the peace-loving. Unlike the KKK (the militia branch of the Democratic Party) Brown shirts were crushed into a little brown spot. What fate awaits the system-antagonistic Antifa other than to fall to a constitutional system that has survived other corruptions to eventually root out the conspirators.
You are a seriously confused little fucker. Stop reading Breitbart it is melting what little you have left of your brain.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:17 pm
You are a seriously confused little fucker. Stop reading Breitbart it is melting what little you have left of your brain.
Hobbes, we anticipate nothing more of your reasoning and perception powers, or less, more or less.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:21 pm
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:17 pm
Hobbes, we anticipate nothing more of your reasoning and perception powers, or less, more or less.

Please refer to the post I made above
Walker

Post by Walker »

Per your recommendation I took a look, but not while eating a meal. Check out this article. It implies that the insane radical Left’s method of ideological expression is desecration. Would you agree with that? With this penchant for desecration they are much like the Christian Taliban that blew up the big Buddhas.

A History of Subversion: The Left’s Attack on American Heritage, Monuments Goes Far Beyond the Trump-Era
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... trump-era/
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

duszek wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:36 pm Does one activity improve the quality of the other ?

I mean: does eating make forum sessions more enjoyable ? Does reading posts make eating more relaxed and gratifying ?
It saves time, I can do 2 things at once, and basically that is the main reason for doing it. Reading forum posts is mostly for entertainment, I don't take them very seriously. It is amusing to see what others post.