Reading at meals.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Reading at meals.

Post by Walker »

Found this while drinking coffee this morning.

Antifa Classified as Domestic Terrorists by DHS
https://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/dhs-a ... id/811109/

"The Department of Homeland Security in 2016 formally classified the actions of the anarchist group Antifa as "domestic terrorist violence," Politico reported."
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:39 am Found this while drinking coffee this morning.

Antifa Classified as Domestic Terrorists by DHS
https://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/dhs-a ... id/811109/

"The Department of Homeland Security in 2016 formally classified the actions of the anarchist group Antifa as "domestic terrorist violence," Politico reported."

Homeland Security has been arresting little old ladies who do fund raisers for the third world.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:23 pm Homeland Security has been arresting little old ladies who do fund raisers for the third world.
You do have a good imagination.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

thedoc wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:07 pm
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:23 pm Homeland Security has been arresting little old ladies who do fund raisers for the third world.
No I just pay attention. You should too.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:45 pm
thedoc wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:07 pm
No I just pay attention. You should too.
To what? the fake news?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:39 pm To what? the fake news?
We have the BBC here, doc, they don't do "fake news".
duszek

Post by duszek »

Mr Thedoc,

does it really save time to do both at the same time ?

It would be a case of multi-tasking and experiments have shown that when performing two activities at the same time our brain switches from one to the other and back again and this costs more time and not less.

1. But don´t we breathe too, at the same time ?

Yes, but we breathe automatically, so it does not count as performing a conscious task.

2. Can we perform one of the activities (either reading or eating) in the same way as breathing ?

Perhaps we could but it is not recommended. Both reading and eating should be focused on when we do them. Otherwise ... we don´t know what we read or we suffer from indigestion.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

duszek wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:20 am

2. Can we perform one of the activities (either reading or eating) in the same way as breathing ?

Perhaps we could but it is not recommended. Both reading and eating should be focused on when we do them. Otherwise ... we don´t know what we read or we suffer from indigestion.
Heinz made an unsuccessful attempt to address this problem when they brought out Alphabetti Spaghetti.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:28 am
duszek wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:20 am

Heinz made an unsuccessful attempt to address this problem when they brought out Alphabetti Spaghetti.
:D
duszek

Post by duszek »

Some people can think better when they smoke slowly a cigarette.
Or when they let a piece of chocolate melt in their mouth.
Or when they take a gulp of coffee or tea or wine (or whiskey).

In this case the intake of food and drink is like breathing, it seems to me.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

duszek wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:20 am Mr Thedoc,

Yes it does, I take longer to eat than most so doing both together might take longer than doing either separately, but doing them together takes less time than the total to do them one after the other. I don't eat fast and gulp my food, I tend to take my time and chew and swallow slowly, and I find I can chew and swallow without thinking much about it giving me the attention to concentrate on what I am reading, and I very seldom get indigestion.
duszek

Post by duszek »

When we chew our minds need to fill themselves with something too.

What´s the best mental material for the mind while absorbing food ?

A yoga teacher would probably suggest that you contemplate the texture and the taste of the food and exclude everything else.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

duszek wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:25 pm When we chew our minds need to fill themselves with something too.

What´s the best mental material for the mind while absorbing food ?

A yoga teacher would probably suggest that you contemplate the texture and the taste of the food and exclude everything else.
There is a similar idea in Buddhism, it's being mindful of what you are doing. Buddhism and Yoga are very similar in their teaching.
Walker

Post by Walker »

duszek wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:20 am Mr Thedoc,

It would be a case of multi-tasking and experiments have shown that when performing two activities at the same time our brain switches from one to the other and back again and this costs more time and not less.

1. But don´t we breathe too, at the same time ?

Yes, but we breathe automatically, so it does not count as performing a conscious task.

That's the least of it. One could inhale a chunk of steak down the wrong pipe, and if no one knowledgeable is around, would be forced to belly flop on the back of a chair in a self-inflicted Heimlich.
Walker

Post by Walker »

duszek wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:44 pm Some people can think better when they smoke slowly a cigarette.
Or when they let a piece of chocolate melt in their mouth.
Or when they take a gulp of coffee or tea or wine (or whiskey).

In this case the intake of food and drink is like breathing, it seems to me.
Considering that whiskey is best savored when sipped and not gulped like there's no tomorrow, perhaps.