Eclipse.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Eclipse.

Post by thedoc »

On Monday the 21st of Aug. there will be an eclipse of the Sun. The totality will be visible from Oregon to South Carolina, starting in the pacific and ending in the Atlantic. I will be seeing about 80% coverage at about 2:30 PM. Is anyone else planning on watching it?
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Eclipse.

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

thedoc wrote: ↑Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:41 pm On Monday the 21st of Aug. there will be an eclipse of the Sun. The totality will be visible from Oregon to South Carolina, starting in the pacific and ending in the Atlantic. I will be seeing about 80% coverage at about 2:30 PM. Is anyone else planning on watching it?
Not directly doc.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:02 am
thedoc wrote: ↑Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:41 pm On Monday the 21st of Aug. there will be an eclipse of the Sun. The totality will be visible from Oregon to South Carolina, starting in the pacific and ending in the Atlantic. I will be seeing about 80% coverage at about 2:30 PM. Is anyone else planning on watching it?
Not directly doc.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Be careful and don't look directly at the Sun at any time during or before and after the eclipse as it could burn you eyes out, or even a camera or telescope without a solar filter. The Sun is brighter and stronger that you may think.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

BTW, I had checked with a supplier last week and they sold out of solar filters, if you don't already have one, I doubt that you will find one to buy.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

I made a viewer for each of my grandchildren, a pinhole in a paper plate and a sheet of plane paper, you can project an image of the eclipse onto the paper and watch that without any danger to your eyes. The distance from the pinhole to the paper will determine the size and brightness of the image, the closer the paper is, the brighter and smaller the image will be, and obviously the reverse is true.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
uwot

Post by uwot »

If it is at all possible, get to somewhere were there is totality. We had an eclipse in the UK in 1999. To this day I regret not driving to Cornwall to see totality, because 80%, which is about what I saw, just means the sky dims a bit. If that isn't an option, then be sure to look at the ground around bushes or trees, because the gaps in the leaves act as pinhole cameras, and you see loads of eclipses.
davidm

Post by davidm »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:56 am.
My goodness, a show of simple human decency at last! Or -- wait -- did the mods edit out your vile comment?
vegetariantaxidermy

davidm wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:17 am
My goodness, a show of simple human decency at last! Or -- wait -- did the mods edit out your vile comment?
Of course. I'm just so 'indecent' and you are a paragon of virtue. Why don't you go and play with a chainsaw?
davidm

Post by davidm »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:26 am
Of course. I'm just so 'indecent' and you are a paragon of virtue. Why don't you go and play with a chainsaw?
Why don't you go fuck yourself?
vegetariantaxidermy

davidm wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:37 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:26 am

Why don't you mind your own business.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:26 am Of course. I'm just so 'indecent' and you are a paragon of virtue. Why don't you go and play with a chainsaw?
Why don't you both just comment on the eclipse and leave the rest somewhere else.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote: ↑Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:05 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 am

Why don't you both just comment on the eclipse and leave the rest somewhere else.
I've experienced one full eclipse and wasn't even aware beforehand that it was going to happen. I wondered why everything went dark and eerie. I can understand people of the past thinking the world was ending. It's a very strange feeling when it goes dark on a sunny day. Not dark like night time though.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

I've seen a few Lunar eclipses but I don't recall seeing a Solar eclipse, so this will be a first as far as I know, but even at 80% it will be better than nothing.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: ↑Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:58 pm I've experienced one full eclipse and wasn't even aware beforehand that it was going to happen.
Many years ago I owned a hobby shop and sold astronomy telescopes and other things. One day my son stopped in and the conversation got around to astronomy so I got one of the current sky maps for us to look at. It had the location of some if the important stars and planets that were visible. He asked "Where is the Earth on this chart"? I answered "You'd be standing on it".