Should we get rid of football and other contact sports?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: Should we get rid of football and other contact sports?

Post by Greta »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:57 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:20 am
Greta wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:14 am Strange. I agree with Henry.

We are not as civilised as we think. All societies need a warrior class, a subset of people who are more tolerant than most of violence, who fight crime and wars on everyone's behalf. Boxers and footballers are abstracted representations of the warrior class, and you will find those sports to be hugely popular amongst police and military.

Also, warrior-style careers and sports are great avenues for social mobility, with at least a small number of poor people having the chance to improve the lot of their families. A diversity of people "allowed into the fold" will ultimately benefit all, both genetically and in terms of having stories told.
Indeed. Where would we all be without psychopathic murderers and sucker drones?
No one ever fought any war on my behalf. On behalf of big business and self-serving manipulative leaders perhaps.
What an idiot. So you're saying you'd be happy if a war were fought on your behalf.
Yup. Veggie is above society and does not enjoy its benefits.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:20 am No one ever fought any war on my behalf.
That you are free to post your venom on this and other sites is proof enough that many have fought wars to give you that freedom, Imagine what it would be like if some bureaucrat were telling you what you could post and what you could not?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

thedoc wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:32 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:20 am No one ever fought any war on my behalf.
That you are free to post your venom on this and other sites is proof enough that many have fought wars to give you that freedom, Imagine what it would be like if some bureaucrat were telling you what you could post and what you could not?
Do you even know what that means? Which 'freedom' are you referring to? The 'freedom' I have comes from the successive Govts. we have chosen. A lot of it has been lost, of course, since your shit-head country wrecked all those ME countries and sucked the rest of the world into its pathetic paranoia.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:27 am
thedoc wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:32 am
Do you even know what that means? Which 'freedom' are you referring to? The 'freedom' I have comes from the successive Govts. we have chosen. A lot of it has been lost, of course, since your shit-head country wrecked all those ME countries and sucked the rest of the world into its pathetic paranoia.
Hey doc. She's begging for a lovedoll. Let's say we get her one wrapped up in the American flag. I bet that shithole of a country she's from is too poor to furnish her with one. It would brighten her pathetic existence. Unless her country doesn't have that kind of freedom.

PhilX 🇺🇸
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:27 am The 'freedom' I have comes from the successive Govts. we have chosen. A lot of it has been lost, of course, since your shit-head country wrecked all those ME countries and sucked the rest of the world into its pathetic paranoia.
You have the freedom to choose your government because soldiers from my Shit-head country fought to keep your country free from the Nazi's and the communists. But then I'm sure that you are very comfortable speaking Deutsch and Russian.
Philosophy Explorer

thedoc wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:35 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:27 am The 'freedom' I have comes from the successive Govts. we have chosen. A lot of it has been lost, of course, since your shit-head country wrecked all those ME countries and sucked the rest of the world into its pathetic paranoia.
You have the freedom to choose your government because soldiers from my Shit-head country fought to keep your country free from the Nazi's and the communists. But then I'm sure that you are very comfortable speaking Deutsch and Russian.
Nah doc. She's comfortable speaking gutter language.

PhilX 🇺🇸
uwot

Post by uwot »

As it happens, Europe could probably have contained Nazi Germany, were it not for the profiteering by American corporations. The failure to establish air supremacy during the battle of Britain was a major blow. The decision, when it was clear that invading Britain wasn't an option, to invade the USSR was an act of desperation that ended in catastrophe for the Nazis. Once it was clear who the likely winners were, the Americans chose the winning team. Pearl Harbour, in case your geographical knowledge doesn't stretch that far, is about as far from Europe as it is possible to be on this planet. Should you wish to disabuse yourself of the fantasy that WWII was won by a combination of John Wayne and Tom Hanks, this is not a bad place to start: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/na ... cars30.htm
Philosophy Explorer

uwot wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:36 pm
As it happens, Europe could probably have contained Nazi Germany, were it not for the profiteering by American corporations. The failure to establish air supremacy during the battle of Britain was a major blow. The decision, when it was clear that invading Britain wasn't an option, to invade the USSR was an act of desperation that ended in catastrophe for the Nazis. Once it was clear who the likely winners were, the Americans chose the winning team. Pearl Harbour, in case your geographical knowledge doesn't stretch that far, is about as far from Europe as it is possible to be on this planet. Should you wish to disabuse yourself of the fantasy that WWII was won by a combination of John Wayne and Tom Hanks, this is not a bad place to start: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/na ... cars30.htm
I disagree with some things you've said. E.g. Neville Chamberlain sold out Czechoslovakia, Germany was allowed to rearm the Rhineland, Germany was held back by Hitler in attacking Dunkirk. As far as "likely winners" goes, keep in mind that America was in favor of democracy, but had a substantial German minority. With Pearl Harbor, America rightfully focused on Europe when it entered the war.

PhilX 🇺🇸
uwot

Post by uwot »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pmI disagree with some things you've said. E.g. Neville Chamberlain sold out Czechoslovakia...
I didn't say he didn't.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pmGermany was allowed to rearm the Rhineland, Germany was held back by Hitler in attacking Dunkirk.
Well, Goering believed the Luftwaffe could prevent the evacuation, so committing land forces to a costly battle of attrition seemed pointless.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pmAs far as "likely winners" goes, keep in mind that America was in favor of democracy...
Well yes, Roosevelt was one of the USA's finest presidents. I suspect WWII might have panned out differently had someone like the current incumbent been in charge.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pmbut had a substantial German minority. With Pearl Harbor, America rightfully focused on Europe when it entered the war.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Because of Pearl Harbour? Anyway, I have no wish to knock America, I have nothing but respect for the US servicemen and women, who risked and lost their lives in a war that was not of their making. Thank you to them, but they did not do it by themselves. The point I was making is not about American individuals, who are as splendid and fucked up as any other people, rather it is the disgusting business practices, again far from unique to the US, that will blithely commit young people to slaughtering each other for profit.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

uwot wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:36 pm this is not a bad place to start: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/na ... cars30.htm
What a private company does is not indicative of the countries official policy. FYI, there were Nazi sympathizers in most countries of the world at that time, including America, England and most of the other European countries. Do you think that makes the entire country guilty of Nazi sympathies?
Philosophy Explorer

uwot wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:04 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pmI disagree with some things you've said. E.g. Neville Chamberlain sold out Czechoslovakia...
I didn't say he didn't.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pmGermany was allowed to rearm the Rhineland, Germany was held back by Hitler in attacking Dunkirk.
Well, Goering believed the Luftwaffe could prevent the evacuation, so committing land forces to a costly battle of attrition seemed pointless.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pmAs far as "likely winners" goes, keep in mind that America was in favor of democracy...
Well yes, Roosevelt was one of the USA's finest presidents. I suspect WWII might have panned out differently had someone like the current incumbent been in charge.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pmbut had a substantial German minority. With Pearl Harbor, America rightfully focused on Europe when it entered the war.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Because of Pearl Harbour? Anyway, I have no wish to knock America, I have nothing but respect for the US servicemen and women, who risked and lost their lives in a war that was not of their making. Thank you to them, but they did not do it by themselves. The point I was making is not about American individuals, who are as splendid and fucked up as any other people, rather it is the disgusting business practices, again far from unique to the US, that will blithely commit young people to slaughtering each other for profit.
It's not business practices that conduct a war, it's the countries' leaders.

PhilX 🇺🇸
uwot

Post by uwot »

thedoc wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:07 pmWhat a private company does is not indicative of the countries official policy.
Of course not. The political response to business practice is determined by the sentiment it provokes. Politics doesn't set the agenda, it reacts to it.
thedoc wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:07 pmFYI, there were Nazi sympathizers in most countries of the world at that time, including America, England and most of the other European countries.
FYI, I know.
thedoc wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:07 pmDo you think that makes the entire country guilty of Nazi sympathies?
If you can cite my suggesting that, I'll eat my hat, and have yours for pudding.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:11 pmIt's not business practices that conduct a war, it's the countries' leaders.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Really? Who has ever commenced a war without buying the resources to do so?
Philosophy Explorer

uwot wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:35 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:11 pmIt's not business practices that conduct a war, it's the countries' leaders.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Really? Who has ever commenced a war without buying the resources to do so?
So what?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Philosophy Explorer

uwot said:

"Of course not. The political response to business practice is determined by the sentiment it provokes. Politics doesn't set the agenda, it reacts to it."

The current administration is an excellent example of not reacting to sentiment of all types. For example withdrawing from the Paris Agreement Climate Accords.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.