Should we get rid of football and other contact sports?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Re:

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:58 pm "But, as you just said, can be and that's the point."

Can we?

Sure.

Should we?

Hell no!

Again...

"Should we get rid of football and other contact sports?"

If folks go in with eyes open, they the ought to be allowed to abuse themselves however they like.

With kids, Ma and Pa (should) get the final say, not some busy-body bureaucrat.
HQ,

I agree with what you've just said before, not now.

Apparently you don't give a crap about people. I believe in freedom, not unlimited freedom.

PhilX 🇺🇸
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I give a crap...I just think most folks, most of the time, can and should make their own goddamned choices about what do with themselves...and this includes bearing the brunt of the consequences of those choices.

You, apparently, think folks needs to be protected from themselves, which makes you just another busy-body.
thedoc

Re: Should we get rid of football and other contact sports?

Post by thedoc »

Freedom without responsibility results in Tyranny, If anyone has unlimited freedom then everyone else has none. Freedom must be accompanied by responsibility then it can be enjoyed by all. The individual must have the freedom to make their own mistakes, but they must also take responsibility for that mistake. It should not fall on others to pick them up after a failure, but others should be free to help if they choose.
Philosophy Explorer

Re:

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:14 pm I give a crap...I just think most folks, most of the time, can and should make their own goddamned choices about what do with themselves...and this includes bearing the brunt of the consequences of those choices.

You, apparently, think folks needs to be protected from themselves, which makes you just another busy-body.
I'd rather be a busybody than see people self destruct.

PhilX 🇺🇸
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

As you like, Phil.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"others should be free to help if they choose."

Well, that depends.

Perfectly reasonable to ask the little old lady with a flat tire if she needs a hand. She'll probably say 'yeah' but she might say 'no' in which you say 'okay' and go about your business.

Perfectly unreasonable to pass a goddamned law obligating passers by to lend a hand.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:04 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:21 pm
vegetariantaxidermy 🇺🇸 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:05 pm Excuse for what? I've never used a 'spellchecker' EVER. It's also in shitty yanklish anyway. Why don't you just fuck off you senile old fool.
You misspelled Yanglish fool. And you can reset the language booboo (if you never used the tool, then how can you know it's in American dolt?) You're such a moron.

Hooray for the red, white and blue.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Why should I go to the bother of 'resetting' from pidgin to English? I don't need some yank nerd telling me how to spell, or anyone else for that matter. English evolved from many languages, over a very long time. Yanks tried to change it practically overnight. The obnoxious misspelling is mainly 'thanks' to one man: Webster. Trying to phoneticise and 'simplify' (dumb down) English was a big mistake, not to mention impossible. All he ended up with was a confusing, inconsistent, annoying mess-- a mess that's spreading its poison everywhere. He was responsible for a collective lobotomy on a national scale. It explains pretty much everything that is wrong with your country.
Children all over the world are growing up using his shitty 'dictionary' online, thinking it's the real deal. Notice how it always appears first? It's like comparing Bach to Bieber.

''Webster dedicated his Speller and Dictionary to providing an intellectual foundation for American nationalism.'' Haha. That worked out really well. He certainly did just that. That explains why y'all take such pride in being idiots. You view 'intellectualism' as being 'European' and 'unAmerican'. Irony is so wasted on Americans.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy 🇺🇸 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:05 pm Excuse for what? I've never used a 'spellchecker' EVER. It's also in shitty yanklish anyway. Why don't you just fuck off you senile old fool.
I didn't know you were into senile old fools, you old biddy.
If I did, I would have obliged you. You sure have some weird fantasies. :lol:

PhilX 🇺🇸
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:44 pm

PhilX 👶🏾
Too stupid to see that you confirm what I say about yanks in practically everything you post. You are actually the best piece of evidence I could wish for. Same goes for your little buddies on here. Thank y'all. You are all intellectually stunted, deranged freaks.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy 🇺🇸 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:44 pm

PhilX 👶🏾
Too stupid to see that you confirm what I say about yanks in practically everything you post. You are actually the best piece of evidence I could wish for. Same goes for your little buddies on here. Thank y'all. You are all intellectually stunted, deranged freaks.
What a perfect description of yourself, a real loser. You have a fixation on the US. You need to shake off your fantasies and wake up. You should see a shrink about your OCD. I feel sorry for you.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Greta

Post by Greta »

Strange. I agree with Henry.

We are not as civilised as we think. All societies need a warrior class, a subset of people who are more tolerant than most of violence, who fight crime and wars on everyone's behalf. Boxers and footballers are abstracted representations of the warrior class, and you will find those sports to be hugely popular amongst police and military.

Also, warrior-style careers and sports are great avenues for social mobility, with at least a small number of poor people having the chance to improve the lot of their families. A diversity of people "allowed into the fold" will ultimately benefit all, both genetically and in terms of having stories told.
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:14 am Strange. I agree with Henry.

We are not as civilised as we think. All societies need a warrior class, a subset of people who are more tolerant than most of violence, who fight crime and wars on everyone's behalf. Boxers and footballers are abstracted representations of the warrior class, and you will find those sports to be hugely popular amongst police and military.

Also, warrior-style careers and sports are great avenues for social mobility, with at least a small number of poor people having the chance to improve the lot of their families. A diversity of people "allowed into the fold" will ultimately benefit all, both genetically and in terms of having stories told.
Indeed. Where would we all be without psychopathic murderers and sucker drones?
No one ever fought any war on my behalf. On behalf of big business and self-serving manipulative leaders perhaps.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:20 am
Greta wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:14 am Strange. I agree with Henry.

Indeed. Where would we all be without psychopathic murderers and sucker drones?
No one ever fought any war on my behalf. On behalf of big business and self-serving manipulative leaders perhaps.
What an idiot. So you're saying you'd be happy if a war were fought on your behalf.

PhilX 🇺🇸
vegetariantaxidermy

Enough, enough. :D
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:30 am Enough, enough. :D
Yes we certainly heard enough nonsense from you.

PhilX 🇺🇸