Gustav's farewell

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

AMod

Re:

Post by AMod »

henry quirk,
henry quirk wrote: Gus got kicked cuz he dared to question the notions 'all men are equal' and 'all cultures are equal'. ...
He was not kicked for this.

AMod.
Arising_uk

Re: Gustav's farewell

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:No Go Zones for women in France.
I doubt you've been to France but by and large most of France's cities are pretty much no-go for single women at night as they get constantly sexually harassed by white French males.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:55 pm
Walker wrote:No Go Zones for women in France.
I doubt you've been to France but by and large most of France's cities are pretty much no-go for single women at night as they get constantly sexually harassed by white French males.
Don't you think that's taking PC just a bit too far? I mean, outright lying. Tsk tsk.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Just reporting what my teenage female cousins-in-law report.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:13 am Just reporting what my teenage female cousins-in-law report.
Yes, I'm sure. Funny how you always seem to have convenient daughters/cousins/cousin-in-laws etc. etc. to report 'first-hand' to you on these things. :wink:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:13 am Just reporting what my teenage female cousins-in-law report.
The appearance of shared obliviousness within extended families may have, at least in part, been the inspiration for the Progressive eugenics movement that spread from the United States into Germany.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22078&hilit=Margar ... 60#p317055
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Yes, I'm sure. Funny how you always seem to have convenient daughters/cousins/cousin-in-laws etc. etc. to report 'first-hand' to you on these things. :wink:
You calling me a liar? If so I think that more a reflection of your life not mine.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:The appearance of shared obliviousness within extended families may have, at least in part, been the inspiration for the Progressive eugenics movement that spread from the United States into Germany
No idea what this 'Progressive' is and give two shits about your beef with birth control in the USA as you're so backward you don't have a health service and so allow private interests to run things.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:33 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Yes, I'm sure. Funny how you always seem to have convenient daughters/cousins/cousin-in-laws etc. etc. to report 'first-hand' to you on these things. :wink:
You calling me a liar? If so I think that more a reflection of your life not mine.
How does that 'logic' work??? There's no reason to believe you or anyone else. The world would be a much better place if people were not so ready to believe everything they are told.
And you really should have a bit more 'evidence' to present than 'my cousins-in-law said so' when you make an assertion like that.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: How does that 'logic' work???
You implied I lie about the people I get my anecdotes from, this, to me, says more about your life than mine.
There's no reason to believe you or anyone else. ...
True.
The world would be a much better place if people were not so ready to believe everything they are told. ...
It would be even better if people just said they didn't believe what they were told rather than snidely implying the other is a liar.
And you really should have a bit more 'evidence' to present than 'my cousins-in-law said so' when you make an assertion like that. ...
Guilty of hyperbole but it's an anecdote and a behaviour that they think holds for a large chunk of their female friends in France. In fact they were quite adamant about it when I questioned it. Still, some more anecdotal evidence for you if you like - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ment-fines
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: How does that 'logic' work???
You implied I lie about the people I get my anecdotes from, this, to me, says more about your life than mine.
There's no reason to believe you or anyone else. ...
True.
The world would be a much better place if people were not so ready to believe everything they are told. ...
It would be even better if people just said they didn't believe what they were told rather than snidely implying the other is a liar.
And you really should have a bit more 'evidence' to present than 'my cousins-in-law said so' when you make an assertion like that. ...
Guilty of hyperbole but it's an anecdote and a behaviour that they think holds for a large chunk of their female friends in France. In fact they were quite adamant about it when I questioned it. Still, some more anecdotal evidence for you if you like - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ment-fines
Hmm. Repetition doesn't equal explanation. And I seem to recall you snorting with derision when I posted a Guardian link.
You do realise that you can find internet 'evidence' for or against any argument under the Sun don't you? I could post evidence that muslims are raping European women on an epidemic scale. I wonder how much credence you would give that?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:26 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:33 pm
And you really should have a bit more 'evidence' to present than 'my cousins-in-law said so' when you make an assertion like that.
It seems that cousins-in-law, sisters friend, or someone that someone knows, is the most common means of retelling an urban legend.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Hmm. Repetition doesn't equal explanation. ...
What explanation do you want?
And I seem to recall you snorting with derision when I posted a Guardian link. ...
I think you recall wrongly.
You do realise that you can find internet 'evidence' for or against any argument under the Sun don't you? ...
All my linked showed was that a French female minister thinks France has a problem with public sexual harassment of females which is what my anecdote was claiming.
I could post evidence that muslims are raping European women on an epidemic scale. I wonder how much credence you would give that?
Who was talking about rape? But post away, if it's the Guardian I might pay it some credence but if its some interweeb 'news-site' I'll probably snort.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:It seems that cousins-in-law, sisters friend, or someone that someone knows, is the most common means of retelling an urban legend.
Which legend is this?

I just repeated what my cousins-in-law told me about their behaviour in their country with respect to being alone at night in public, they don't do it if they can help it. How I discovered this was when one came to stay in London and I had to convince her that she would pretty much be fine coming home alone at night, as she did not believe me. I then asked the others the next time I was in France as I had a hard time believing this of the French.

It seems that interweeb 'news-sites' are for the religious bigots to reinforce their beliefs.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:56 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Hmm. Repetition doesn't equal explanation. ...
What explanation do you want?
And I seem to recall you snorting with derision when I posted a Guardian link. ...
I think you recall wrongly.
You do realise that you can find internet 'evidence' for or against any argument under the Sun don't you? ...
All my linked showed was that a French female minister thinks France has a problem with public sexual harassment of females which is what my anecdote was claiming.
I could post evidence that muslims are raping European women on an epidemic scale. I wonder how much credence you would give that?
Who was talking about rape? But post away, if it's the Guardian I might pay it some credence but if its some interweeb 'news-site' I'll probably snort.
Ok. So if it's a link to something you approve of then it's to be taken seriously (i.e.a PC one that says what you want it to say whether it's true or not). Even whacko sites can inadvertently post something that happens to be true.