Stephen Hawkins has outlived his usefulness.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Stephen Hawkins has outlived his usefulness.

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:40 pm Lots of people have outlived their usefulness, and some of us had precious little to start with. Why single out Hawkin?
I had a brother-in-law who contracted ALS several years after Hawkings and died in a few years, who was there to pay for the heroic medical treatment to keep him alive. I would be curious to know what is being done to keep Hawkings alive for so many years longer than normal.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:00 pm I would be curious to know what is being done to keep Hawkings alive for so many years longer than normal.
Whatever it is, I don't think it's at the expense of the American taxpayer so I'm puzzled by your apparent resentment.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:...who was there to pay for the heroic medical treatment to keep him alive. ...
Over here that'll be the NHS which is free at the point of service.
... I would be curious to know what is being done to keep Hawkings alive for so many years longer than normal.
Nothing apparently - https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... wking-als/
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:18 pm
thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:00 pm I would be curious to know what is being done to keep Hawkings alive for so many years longer than normal.
Whatever it is, I don't think it's at the expense of the American taxpayer so I'm puzzled by your apparent resentment.
Are you trying to be funny Harbal? Hawking is English.

I think charity is involved in keeping Hawking alive (remember he's a celebrity). I think you can Google this information to be sure (e.g. Wikipedia).

PhilX
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:27 pm
Are you trying to be funny Harbal? Hawking is English.
Yes, I know he's English, that is the point I'm making.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:53 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:24 pm That's a pretty sick way of looking at stuff. Just... ewww.
So you are a useless bleeding heart liberal, "We just gotta help those people," whether they want help or not.

As long as we can use someone else's money to help.
When did it become a specifically liberal thing to object to doing a cost/benefit analysis on a human life?

I kind of thought you were probably a Christian tbh? Presumably this was a mistake on my part.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:24 pm That's a pretty sick way of looking at stuff. Just... ewww.
So you are a useless bleeding heart liberal, "We just gotta help those people," whether they want help or not.

When did it become a specifically liberal thing to object to doing a cost/benefit analysis on a human life?

I kind of thought you were probably a Christian tbh? Presumably this was a mistake on my part.
Some Christians don't try to force their agenda onto everyone else, You can make your own decision. I don't agree with banning useful materials in order to protect people from themselves, the most government should do is mandate warning labels in materials that are dangerous and let the individual decide to use them or not. I also don't believe it is right to blame a manufacture if someone does something stupid, and I don't believe it is right to force everyone to live by my standards.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:00 pm
Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:40 pm Lots of people have outlived their usefulness, and some of us had precious little to start with. Why single out Hawkin?
I had a brother-in-law who contracted ALS several years after Hawkings and died in a few years, who was there to pay for the heroic medical treatment to keep him alive. I would be curious to know what is being done to keep Hawkings alive for so many years longer than normal.
His longevity is due to the type of ALS he has, which is quite rare. It has to do with how young he was when it was diagnosed, so you can stop fretting your sweet little kristian self about it. I wouldn't have picked you as an advocate of involuntary euthanasia.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:01 pm I wouldn't have picked you as an advocate of involuntary euthanasia.
That just demonstrates how wrong you are about this and just about everything else. I hope Stephen Hawkings lives for many more years, I'm just wondering how he does it.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:51 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Some Christians don't try to force their agenda onto everyone else, You can make your own decision. I don't agree with banning useful materials in order to protect people from themselves, the most government should do is mandate warning labels in materials that are dangerous and let the individual decide to use them or not. I also don't believe it is right to blame a manufacture if someone does something stupid, and I don't believe it is right to force everyone to live by my standards.
Well you certainly don't believe in addressing the point do you? WTF does manufacturer warning labels have to do with this?

"are those paying for the treatment and medication still getting a return on their investment?" wasn't just a nasty thing that filthy bleeding heart liberals might object to, it was downright unchristian.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:06 pm I hope Stephen Hawkings lives for many more years, I'm just wondering how he does it.
Good old British determination, doc. God it makes me proud.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:06 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:01 pm I wouldn't have picked you as an advocate of involuntary euthanasia.
That just demonstrates how wrong you are about this and just about everything else. I hope Stephen Hawkings lives for many more years, I'm just wondering how he does it.
Is it really so difficult to get his name right? And how am I wrong? Do you think only poor people die of ALS? Don't you think all those rich people would have extended their lives if it were possible? There are many people who were diagnosed very young who have lived for decades after that. You probably just have a bee in your bonnet about him now because he criticised your beloved Trump. I doubt if you had a clue about him before that. I mean, he's only one of the most famous and recognisable humans on the planet, yet you don't even know his name??
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:18 pm I mean, he's only one of the most famous and recognisable humans on the planet?
Yet you claimed that you had never heard of him.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:18 pm I mean, he's only one of the most famous and recognisable humans on the planet?
Yet you claimed that you had never heard of him.
Are you completely retarded?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:36 pm Are you completely retarded?
I assume this is a rhetorical question?