Stephen Hawkins has outlived his usefulness.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeds

Re: Stephen Hawkins has outlived his usefulness.

Post by seeds »

_______

I suggest that Hawking’s longevity is probably based on his own personal will to stay alive.

Think about it. He receives the unbridled respect and adulation of the world’s most brilliant scientists and physicists, and he no doubt feels that he is still able to contribute something important to the field of cosmology.

Now compare that to the utter despair that the average person with ALS must feel.

To have your fully functional mind trapped in a literal prison of flesh whose feeding, cleaning, and waste removal, must be tended to by others, must be unimaginably depressing.

Therefore, without some good reason to persevere (as in Hawking’s case), surely one would welcome the escape of death, not only for yourself, but to relieve your loved ones of the burden of dealing with your situation.

Just a guess.
_______
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

seeds wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:08 pm _______

I suggest that Hawking’s longevity is probably based on his own personal will to stay alive.

Think about it. He receives the unbridled respect and adulation of the world’s most brilliant scientists and physicists, and he no doubt feels that he is still able to contribute something important to the field of cosmology.

Now compare that to the utter despair that the average person with ALS must feel.

To have your fully functional mind trapped in a literal prison of flesh whose feeding, cleaning, and waste removal, must be tended to by others, must be unimaginably depressing.

Therefore, without some good reason to persevere (as in Hawking’s case), surely one would welcome the escape of death, not only for yourself, but to relieve your loved ones of the burden of dealing with your situation.

Just a guess.
_______
I think what you say has a lot to do with it.

BTW, As I expected the title of this thread generated a lot more response than it might have with a more mundane title.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:36 pm
thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:18 pm I mean, he's only one of the most famous and recognisable humans on the planet?
Yet you claimed that you had never heard of him.
Are you completely retarded?
No, but I'm working on it. I have a long way to go till I catch up with you.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:42 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:36 pm Are you completely retarded?
I assume this is a rhetorical question?
No. If I'm wrong, and he's not completely retarded, then I want him to tell me exactly what percentage of him is retarded.
(pssst..of course it's rhetorical, but you don't expect him to know that do you?)
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

On this 4th of July, it should be comforting to know that Bob the Baptist has not outlived his usefulness.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:38 pm On this 4th of July, it should be comforting to know that Bob the Baptist has not outlived his usefulness.
Usefulness?

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Yes, as a divinely inspired prophet of all things spiritual, political and economic.
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:40 pm Yes, as a divinely inspired prophet of all things spiritual, political and economic.
Useful to who?

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:41 pm
bobevenson wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:40 pm Yes, as a divinely inspired prophet of all things spiritual, political and economic.
Useful to who?

PhilX
I would hope that he is useful to himself as he is useless to anyone else.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

An absolute pronouncement like that could only come from an ersatz sheriff with a tin badge.
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:08 pm An absolute pronouncement like that could only come from an ersatz sheriff with a tin badge.
And as his deputy, I heartily agree.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

How lovely, to have the cream of American intelligentsia together in three consecutive posts. I must take a screenshot. :D
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:24 pm How lovely, to have the cream of American intelligentsia together in three consecutive posts.
It could be a sign of something, like when certain heavenly bodies align in astrology. Bob would probably know, what with him being a prophet.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:32 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:24 pm How lovely, to have the cream of American intelligentsia together in three consecutive posts.
It could be a sign of something, like when certain heavenly bodies align in astrology. Bob would probably know, what with him being a prophet.
You might be onto something. Bob hardly ever posts on others' threads. 'When the three fools of the evil empire gather....'
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

bobevenson wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:08 pm An absolute pronouncement like that could only come from an ersatz sheriff with a tin badge.
Just curious do you know what "ersatz" means or are you just using words you don't understand again.