What would be important for you to do before dying ?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: What would be important for you to do before dying ?

Post by Walker »

Seems like a simple question to me.

I think you're prejudging your own, imagined interpretations of a straight answer.

You have a great opportunity now, and that is to expand the concept of original source material.

What exactly is, original source?

It's a philosophical question.

Or, you can dodge bob and weave in the direction you must, including non-participation.

Usually the direction is a slew of questions.

No biggie.
duszek

Post by duszek »

How many people today can understand the original old Greek ?
We all rely on good translations that other people had made.
There is one English translation of Plato that I use, it seems to have been made in the 19th century.

As for modern writers like Husserl or Heidegger all those who don´t understand difficult complicated German can use a translation too, or several.

We can use the efforts of others and build our own efforts on them.

I have not studied Heidegger yet. But if I happen to discover something recommendable about him I will tell you.

Peace.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

duszek wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:45 am How many people today can understand the original old Greek ?
We all rely on good translations that other people had made.
There is one English translation of Plato that I use, it seems to have been made in the 19th century.

As for modern writers like Husserl or Heidegger all those who don´t understand difficult complicated German can use a translation too, or several.

We can use the efforts of others and build our own efforts on them.

I have not studied Heidegger yet. But if I happen to discover something recommendable about him I will tell you.

Peace.
Peaceful, thoughtful and helpful response, duszek. Thanks for positive engagement.

There was a time when I tried to learn Greek and just about managed the alphabet. To return to the thread title - it's not something I would find important to do before dying.
However, like you and most, I will benefit from translations and also commentaries.
It would be good to share thoughts in future.
David Swift

Post by David Swift »

Walker wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:33 am Seems like a simple question to me.

I think you're prejudging your own, imagined interpretations of a straight answer.

You have a great opportunity now, and that is to expand the concept of original source material.

What exactly is, original source?

It's a philosophical question.

Or, you can dodge bob and weave in the direction you must, including non-participation.

Usually the direction is a slew of questions.

No biggie.
[/quote

Sorry, if I misunderstood your intent, but I hold your question to be linguistic, not philosophical. No one alive has heard ancient Greek spoken and you have to remember that most of the translations were done by churchmen with there own deformity of belief. The translations of 'virtue' and 'soul' are famously suspect. All languages change with time and philosophers are prone to use specially defined meanings. We're better off with a good translation done by someone who has studied the writer and the language. My interest in the idea not the conveyance.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Shit myself, I suppose. One last good dump into that good night....
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Many years ago I promised my self that I would be around to help change my grandchild's, child's diaper. I made that promise while changing my grandchild's diaper, so I knew I had a long way to go.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Well in American trailer parks the average age to be a great-grandmother is 42, so it wouldn't be that difficult :|
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:50 am Well in American trailer parks the average age to be a great-grandmother is 42, so it wouldn't be that difficult :|
I don't live in a trailer park, and I think you figures are way off. At the time my granddaughter was about 2 and I was about 65. Your estimate for a great grandmother is way off, maybe in your country it's closer.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:50 am Well in American trailer parks the average age to be a great-grandmother is 42.
Did you pull that age out of your ass, because 42 would put the age at birth at 14, which is much below the average.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:42 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:50 am Well in American trailer parks the average age to be a great-grandmother is 42, so it wouldn't be that difficult :|
I don't live in a trailer park, and I think you figures are way off. At the time my granddaughter was about 2 and I was about 65. Your estimate for a great grandmother is way off, maybe in your country it's closer.
I knew you didn't live in a trailer park. I wasn't talking about you. So literal...
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:51 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:50 am Well in American trailer parks the average age to be a great-grandmother is 42.
Did you pull that age out of your ass, because 42 would put the age at birth at 14, which is much below the average.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eN3fxzn0ro

(And I don't own an ass).
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:52 am
thedoc wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:42 am
I knew you didn't live in a trailer park. I wasn't talking about you. So literal...
Your reply was directly after my post and referred to a comment I made, My natural assumption was that you were referring to me.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:54 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eN3fxzn0ro

(And I don't own an ass).
You use a comic video to make your point, and it wasn't even funny.

I know you don't own an ass, you sit on yours.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:54 am ...
If you didn't post so much stupid shit, I wouldn't need to correct you all the time.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:03 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:54 am ...
If you didn't post so much stupid shit, I wouldn't need to correct you all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DrMrJyIf0s