What would be important for you to do before dying ?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Sir-Sister-of-Suck
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 am

Re: What would be important for you to do before dying ?

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:19 am

I've never been too keen on the idea of a 'bucket list', at least it wouldn't be for me. There are things I want to do in my life, but I don't actively think to myself 'I want to do this, and force myself to do this before I die.' If I was told I had a year to live, I think I would work on the overall enjoyment of my life and the little things that just make me happier. I'd probably quit my job immediately, go back to smoking, pick up a lot more risky behavior in general, and do the hobbies I enjoy more often like riding my e-board around town.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: What would be important for you to do before dying ?

Post by Dalek Prime » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:42 am

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:19 am
I've never been too keen on the idea of a 'bucket list', at least it wouldn't be for me. There are things I want to do in my life, but I don't actively think to myself 'I want to do this, and force myself to do this before I die.' If I was told I had a year to live, I think I would work on the overall enjoyment of my life and the little things that just make me happier. I'd probably quit my job immediately, go back to smoking, pick up a lot more risky behavior in general, and do the hobbies I enjoy more often like riding my e-board around town.
Hate to say this, but you sound fairly sane.

User avatar
Sir-Sister-of-Suck
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 am

Re: What would be important for you to do before dying ?

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:19 am

Dalek Prime wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:42 am
Hate to say this, but you sound fairly sane.
Why would you hate to say it?

I've recently had a thought in my life that people have this tendency to sort of project meaning onto things that don't really matter - and not just that, but seem have this lingering thought in the back of their head that it will improve their lives in some significant way, when it clearly won't. I'm sure you saw how excited people got for that recent eclipse. It seemed like a big anticipation with little pay-off, when you actually stop to think about it. It's not to take this extremely pessimistic worldview and say nothing really matters, but what I can tell you definitely doesn't matter to the rest of your life is looking at a shadow of something through a pinhole, especially if you've never even taken an interest in astronomy before now.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: What would be important for you to do before dying ?

Post by Dalek Prime » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:19 am
Dalek Prime wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:42 am
Hate to say this, but you sound fairly sane.
Why would you hate to say it?

I've recently had a thought in my life that people have this tendency to sort of project meaning onto things that don't really matter - and not just that, but seem have this lingering thought in the back of their head that it will improve their lives in some significant way, when it clearly won't. I'm sure you saw how excited people got for that recent eclipse. It seemed like a big anticipation with little pay-off, when you actually stop to think about it. It's not to take this extremely pessimistic worldview and say nothing really matters, but what I can tell you definitely doesn't matter to the rest of your life is looking at a shadow of something through a pinhole, especially if you've never even taken an interest in astronomy before now.
Figure of speech, and totally agree.

artisticsolution
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 am
Contact:

Re: What would be important for you to do before dying ?

Post by artisticsolution » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Sometimes death is welcome. I recently lay in a hospital bed with no fear of death whatsoever. I actually welcome it if it was my time.

I had no instructions for my family and friends either. If by now they don't know I love them then they'll never know.

As for wants...i have had an awesome life! I don't know how it could have been better...maybe a little more money...but if I had to trade anything for it...i wouldnt.

duszek
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: What would be important for you to do before dying ?

Post by duszek » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:53 pm

I have never tried a cigarette yet, not to mention stronger stuff.

Is it an experience one should not miss ?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

What kinds of food are worth trying at least one time in one´s life ?

thedoc
Posts: 6311
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: What would be important for you to do before dying ?

Post by thedoc » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:26 am

duszek wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:53 pm
What kinds of food are worth trying at least one time in one´s life ?
Brussels Sprouts done properly. My mother used to boil them to death and they were awful, so I didn't eat them after I left home to go to college. Then a few years ago some friends of ours had us over for a party and the wife made Brussels Sprouts by lightly sauteing them with bacon, and they were very good. If you had them improperly prepared, try them again done properly and you might like them.

Other than that, Lobster or a good rare steak are worth eating if you haven't had them yet. My daughter says I like to chase my steak across the plate before I eat it, and a friend of mine said a steak is done enough if it is just past a good vet reviving it.

duszek
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: What would be important for you to do before dying ?

Post by duszek » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Thank you, thedoc.

I once ate a fried frog, it was in Bulgaria. I don´t remember any particular taste.

How about eating a dog ?
In China they are considered a delicacy.

thedoc
Posts: 6311
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: What would be important for you to do before dying ?

Post by thedoc » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm

duszek wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:08 pm
Thank you, thedoc.

I once ate a fried frog, it was in Bulgaria. I don´t remember any particular taste.

How about eating a dog ?
In China they are considered a delicacy.
When I was young, over 50 years ago, a friend of mine and I collected enough frog legs to have a snack. If the frog came up out in the pond we would use a .22 and shoot under the frog to stun it, if you hit, it would sink and you wouldn't get it. If it was sitting on the bank I would shoot it in the spine with a pellet gun, so it couldn't jump. In both cases we would finish and cut off the legs, they weren't very big so we had to collect a lot.

I remember Hanoi Jane doing a special about eating dogs in the orient, but she didn't mention that the family probably bought the dog that day for that purpose. She did say that there were markets just for that product, but She tried to imply that the family was eating the family pet.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4556
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What would be important for you to do before dying ?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:54 pm

thedoc wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm
duszek wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:08 pm
Thank you, thedoc.

I once ate a fried frog, it was in Bulgaria. I don´t remember any particular taste.

How about eating a dog ?
In China they are considered a delicacy.
When I was young, over 50 years ago, a friend of mine and I collected enough frog legs to have a snack. If the frog came up out in the pond we would use a .22 and shoot under the frog to stun it, if you hit, it would sink and you wouldn't get it. If it was sitting on the bank I would shoot it in the spine with a pellet gun, so it couldn't jump. In both cases we would finish and cut off the legs, they weren't very big so we had to collect a lot.

I remember Hanoi Jane doing a special about eating dogs in the orient, but she didn't mention that the family probably bought the dog that day for that purpose. She did say that there were markets just for that product, but She tried to imply that the family was eating the family pet.
I ate frog legs which tasted like chicken.

PhilX 🇺🇸

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests