Post by Philosophy Explorer »

this very moment?

Me? Setting up this thread.

You?

PhilX
Dontaskme

Re: What's on your mind...

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:51 am this very moment?

Me? Setting up this thread.

You?

PhilX
This very moment there is nothing on my mind except the sensation of tapping letters on a computer keyboard, and watching them appear magically on a screen in front of me separate from the keyboard. The letters then seem to trigger a thought process of wanting to attach meaning and belief to those letters, but only if the letters are arranged in a specific pattern. If they are not configured a certain way, attention to them seems to disappear.

Sometimes, when no sensation of any action is taking place, uninvited thoughts will then invade my space, and as they start to swirl around me I notice I cannot not locate the exact place of those thoughts, and then something else happens, where there is this identification thing going on where each thought that I cannot see, comes alive as some kind of entity with an identity. Sometimes, there are no thoughts around, and when that happens there's just this blank awareness feeling of pure stillness and peace which is actually quite a pleasant experience. I can't see or know what's having that experience, but I can feel it, and know it that way.

thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:45 pm . Sometimes, there are no thoughts around, and when that happens there's just this blank awareness feeling of pure stillness and peace which is actually quite a pleasant experience.
A friend of mine said he used to lay down at night to sleep but thoughts and images kept going through his mind, keeping him awake. When that happened and he really needed to get some rest, he would imagine the images in his mind as a movie and the film would stop and the frame of film would get melted from the heat of the lamp. The screen would go blank and he would hold that image in his mind as long as he could blocking out all other thoughts and images, he was usually then able to go to sleep.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

thedoc wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:48 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:45 pm . Sometimes, there are no thoughts around, and when that happens there's just this blank awareness feeling of pure stillness and peace which is actually quite a pleasant experience.
A friend of mine said he used to lay down at night to sleep but thoughts and images kept going through his mind, keeping him awake. When that happened and he really needed to get some rest, he would imagine the images in his mind as a movie and the film would stop and the frame of film would get melted from the heat of the lamp. The screen would go blank and he would hold that image in his mind as long as he could blocking out all other thoughts and images, he was usually then able to go to sleep.
Sweeeeet!

Letting go of who you think you are takes a lot of practice, diligence, discernment and tons of dedicated hard inner self inquiry work...it's the only work worth doing, the things of the mind cannot take you home to the place of perfect peace because hardly anyone wants to live there...except the wise...and maybe the babies...imho.

Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:48 pm A friend of mine said he used to lay down at night to sleep but thoughts and images kept going through his mind, keeping him awake. When that happened and he really needed to get some rest, he would imagine the images in his mind as a movie and the film would stop and the frame of film would get melted from the heat of the lamp. The screen would go blank and he would hold that image in his mind as long as he could blocking out all other thoughts and images, he was usually then able to go to sleep.
As with all your anecdotes, doc, that was fascinating.