What's the ugliest food you've ever seen?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: What's the ugliest food you've ever seen?

Post by Greta »

Skip wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:10 amOnions smell worse. Decomposition is never an attractive process. You'd appreciate those peaches more if you ever had to unpack human remains gathered up from the forest floor (the average adult dismembered corpse fills three green bags) infested with maggots. Did you know some of them can jump 2-3 feet?
Yes, I suppose we've evolved to be repelled by the smell of noxious cadaver bacteria. I would not like a maggot jumping on me lol - the ones in the compost an that sometimes appear in the bin never did. We used to feed them to the fish.

I am trying to respond to your post in a more sophisticated way than, "OMG! You gathered human remains?? What was that about?" but that didn't seem to work out.
Skip wrote:I'm not sure what it is. Some people are very sensitive to anything slimy (I could never eat an oyster unless it was smoked - and then it's just a salty eraser); some dislike a soft, yielding texture. Mostly, i suspect, it's our imagination making connections.
It took me a while to move past smoked oysters. I don't know why they don't bother me but okra does. With instincts like that I probably wouldn't have lasted long if living in the jungle. Thank goodness for neat and clean civilisation! Hmm, come to think of it, civilisation is like a large scale metaphysical skin in itself - a veneer we lay over the messiness of nature. I suppose you could say the skin is about seven meals thick ... a fair few lesions appearing ...
Skip

Post by Skip »

ya - except, in the background, somebody is collecting those remains. Not me - the OPP crime scene team had to do that collecting and raking and packing. Then they dumped it in the middle of my lab floor and fled. Ever watch the TV show Bones?
Somebody's got to figure out what happened to the poor bastard in that gully or ditch or midden or gravel pit.

About the veneer of clean, polite civilization... lots of philosophical mileage there. It's not so much nature's messiness we're veiling.
When people kill their own food, they are not usually bothered by the mess. When they contract it out, they'll turn themselves into cognitive
mazes rather than face the truth. Because the truth about their food is a lot more complicated and ugly than predation.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:01 pm Did you eat it?

This post continues another thread. I think the ugliest food I've ever eaten are octopi, but they are tasty, yum yum.

PhilX
I haven't seen any ugly food. Food is food. And that reminds me of a particularly annoying - sometimes ugly - type of 'food'.
The sound bite.

Perhaps as some here have already written, it's not so much the sight which is offended but the sense of smell, taste, purpose.
So, the sound bite - Brexit is Brexit. Terrrorism is Terrorism. Such I think quite 'ugly' compared to the poetic 'Rose is a rose is a rose'.