What is the best...?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: What is the best...?

Post by thedoc »

marjoram_blues wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:11 pm
thedoc wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:03 pm
marjoram_blues wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 3:38 pm Way to get rid of wasps?
A fly swatter, or gasoline. "Raid Wasp and Hornet spray" seems to work OK, especially on a nest.
Thanks. I bought Rentokil Wasp Killer Powder. But thought better of it. Getting the professionals in. Can't see a nest; but they are in my deceased parents' house - somewhere in the wall space. I see them going in; between the bricks.
What with that and a leaky cistern - probably due to a worn out washer - I can't wait to get rid of the responsibility.
If you can see where they are going in, just spray into the hole till you see it dripping out somewhere, then wait to see if you killed them. If it smells enough like Wasp and Hornet killer, they won't come back if they survive.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

marjoram_blues wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:04 pm
thedoc wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:01 pm
marjoram_blues wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 pm Automatic car?
Any American car, the Europeans had to design a new transmission for every new car they made and seldom got it right. The Americans would design a transmission, develop it, and then put the same transmission in everything, so everything had a good transmission.
So, what little run-around automatic car do you suggest ?
Hardcore Hyundai Veloster here man. I drive probably 5x more since I got it
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Vendetta wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:42 pm
marjoram_blues wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:04 pm
thedoc wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Any American car, the Europeans had to design a new transmission for every new car they made and seldom got it right. The Americans would design a transmission, develop it, and then put the same transmission in everything, so everything had a good transmission.
So, what little run-around automatic car do you suggest ?
Hardcore Hyundai Veloster here man. I drive probably 5x more since I got it
Hmmm, interesting. Had a quick look. Seems a bit too flash and sporty for me. Do you think a car reflects your personality, or would-be if you could be? I've heard of some - apparently going through some mid-life crisis - going for the sleek, red open-tops, or a top-gun motorbike.
For the last 8yrs, I've been one of the dull and boring ones; can't get much more run-of-the-mill than a VW polo, huh?
But VW don't seem to collect the stars for its automatics - something about the type ? It all gets a bit confusing.
The last automatic I had was a Volvo estate but that was decades ago - and was a bit of a tank.
The car website compared the Hyundai V. with the VW Scirocco. Seems your V does very well but doesn't hold its value so much.

I don't want to drive 5x more - just want an easy ride :)
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

thedoc wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:27 pm
marjoram_blues wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:11 pm
thedoc wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:03 pm

A fly swatter, or gasoline. "Raid Wasp and Hornet spray" seems to work OK, especially on a nest.
Thanks. I bought Rentokil Wasp Killer Powder. But thought better of it. Getting the professionals in. Can't see a nest; but they are in my deceased parents' house - somewhere in the wall space. I see them going in; between the bricks.
What with that and a leaky cistern - probably due to a worn out washer - I can't wait to get rid of the responsibility.

If you can see where they are going in, just spray into the hole till you see it dripping out somewhere, then wait to see if you killed them. If it smells enough like Wasp and Hornet killer, they won't come back if they survive.
Yeah, but knowing my luck I'd be sting in a gazillion places, as their relis zoom out of a secondary entrance/exit in full defence/attack mode.
Not happening. But good advice for anyone else...I suppose.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

thedoc wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:21 pm
marjoram_blues wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:12 pm
thedoc wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:10 pm I am only familiar with older Ford cars, so anything with the C-6 automatic is good as far as the transmission, but they are usually larger heavier cars.
Yeah, that's what I thought - large and heavy. Not for me, ta. Gonna have to take a few trial runs, I guess.
My daughter and her Husband were in a car crash in a 2013 Honda civic, at the end of Jan. and luckily the other car was about the same size. They both survived but are still recuperating, 3 kids were in the back seat and only suffered brush burns from the seat belts. If they had been in a larger heavier car, they might not have been injured as badly, and the other car would have just bounced off.
Sorry to hear about your family and the crash. Safety is a definitely an issue when buying a car. But there's only so much heavy metal, a smaller car can take. My car specs are getting clearer - ta.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

marjoram_blues wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:30 am
thedoc wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:27 pm If you can see where they are going in, just spray into the hole till you see it dripping out somewhere, then wait to see if you killed them. If it smells enough like Wasp and Hornet killer, they won't come back if they survive.
Yeah, but knowing my luck I'd be sting in a gazillion places, as their relis zoom out of a secondary entrance/exit in full defence/attack mode.
Not happening. But good advice for anyone else...I suppose.
I live on just over 2 acres of woods, so I deal with Wasps and Hornets a lot, once you start spraying Raid they usually get as far away from you as possible. My son told me that August is the worst month for Bees, Wasps and Hornets, that is when they are getting ready for winter and are most defensive.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote: Any American car, the Europeans had to design a new transmission for every new car they made and seldom got it right. The Americans would design a transmission, develop it, and then put the same transmission in everything, so everything had a good transmission.
Shame they got shit handling and brakes along with it. But given the standard of American driving I guess it doesn't matter much.
P.s.
Best auto car? BMW 5 series.