Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Can love be rediscovered?

Post by Walker »

ForCruxSake wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:34 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:32 pm
ForCruxSake wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:30 pm
And if you're perception changes?
What I'm saying is that you can't fall in love again because the former you is gone.

PhilX
But "you can never change" according to Walker...
Simply go to the love within.

Others who are at the love within, will resonate.

This is because you are both in the same state of consciousness.
You're at the same place.
It is shared, not owned.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

uwot wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 2:31 pm ......there's the Heraclitean stance PhilX and Spheres appear to be taking, that you can never step into the same river twice, because the body of water that comprises it is in constant flux.
Very satisfying, comprehensive answer but...

...I get the Ship of Thesus and the Descartes wax analogy as they address how I might change, the one suggesting that as I change I seem to keep the appearance of an essential self, the other suggesting that whilst I appear to change I have some quality that is an essential self.

...I don't get the Heraclitean water idea, as it doesn't address my changing like the other two. It's suggesting that I cannot experience the same thing twice. I'm moving through experience in that model, not changing.

Am I getting this all muddied? As much as I would if I were under the influence of love? :D
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Walker wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:26 pm

What I'm saying is that you can't fall in love again because the former you is gone.

PhilX
Simply go to the love within.

Others who are at the love within, will resonate.

This is because you are both in the same state of consciousness.
You're at the same place.
It is shared, not owned.
This loosely reminds me of something a professor, my head of department, at university, Once told me: "Love isn't something that take place at two 'sites', where the two individuals in love have placed themselves. It happens in the space between them."
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:37 pm

PhilX
How do you recover the past? You're constantly changing.

PhilX
So the past can't repeat itself? You can't recreate the circumstances of history?
uwot

Post by uwot »

ForCruxSake wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 5:58 pm...I don't get the Heraclitean water idea, as it doesn't address my changing like the other two. It's suggesting that I cannot experience the same thing twice. I'm moving through experience in that model, not changing.

Am I getting this all muddied? As much as I would if I were under the influence of love? :D
Identity is a bit of a theme in philosophy. What qualities does a thing need to be a thing? Heraclitus challenged the common sense view that an object is a specific collection of components, and instead argued that existence is defined by change. He had a point; there is nothing 'physical' that stays the same; not even diamonds are forever. The only things we know that don't change are conceptual; essentially some of the rules of logic and some rules of arithmetic. For some people, god is the exception to the rule, in that it both exists and is unchanging: it's one or the other in my book. I think the same is probably true of love.