another pointless thread...existential grousing

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"you can leave it be"

Exactly right. I have no intention of laying me or mine out more than I have. I will, as i say, address certain things, make certain corrections, extend a middle finger here and there, but that's about it.

Marj, you're a gracious creature...thank you.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Vendetta,

My worries about mockery are, I'm sure, simply an expression of my native paranoia and misanthropy and have nuthin' at all to do with the herd of jackasses who frequent this place cuz, of course, they're not jackasses but rather are fine, upstanding, utterly sane folks absolutely dripping with the syrup of compassion.

yeah, right... :|
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"The problem isn't God or the school, it's the government, operating public schools without having to face the discipline of a free market."

Bob, I appreciate your zeal, but my opening, and the guts spilled therein, has absolutely nuthin' to do with government, markets, economics, or your prophet-status, so...

t(-_-t)
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Doc,

We -- you and me -- are good...you betrayed no confidences, so: no worries.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Crux,

Me and the boy are both significant fans of all things kung fu, so the idea of martial arts is appealing. Thing is: he and me, we're swamp rats, which is to say, when we scrap, it's dirty, no holds barred, without grace or humility.

Lay hands on us and there's a price to pay (which, of course, is at the root of the problem...his antagonizers needle and wheedle but never touch...words sting but aren't cause for him to lay his hands on them...it's makes, for him, an awkward place to be in).
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Walker,

He's a Quirk.

Quirks don't run from problems.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"It's torture for a parent when that happens because there's nothing they can really do to help."

Yeah, Veg, in certain significant ways, his hands, my hands are tied. As I say, it makes for an awkward place, but we -- he and me -- aren't helpless. Learning to bear up under pressure is no waste of his time, and exercising patience is always a good thing. And I think I'm pretty good at tending to his ego-bruises.

In the least: he'll come out the other side with thicker skin and a firmer sense of self.

At the most: he'll get his licks in when one of the three gets careless and touches him.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Doc,

I've had few go-arounds with the school authorities about the problem. To an extent, their hands are tied too.

When I was a kid, I got my share of grief from kids targeting me for the same reason they target mine. I was weird, grade-A. And like mine, I wasn't havin' any of that guff. Thing is: you coukd beat ass, or have your ass beat, and the world didn't come to an end. Back then, there wasn't an army of psychologists declaring this and that as wrong or unhealthy. Simply: if I had a problem with Stan, or him with me, then we had it out and mostly it was done.

Mine, today, can't just call 'em out and get to work...too many herbivores in high places callin' the shots, layin' obstacles out.

So, we sit and stew and wait.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"why god does or doesn't? free will cuts both ways..."

Absolutely, Imp.

So, why should I bend knee to a creature who, like me, is gonna do what he damn well wants to do, for his own reasons, and to hell with every one else?

If I'm gonna offer praise to such a creature I'll stick to the one I see in the mirror everyday.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"The child is NOT the "odd man" out."

Yeah, he is. This is not a bad thing, in the long run, but, today, it's a problem.

Understand, Ken, he is very much himself and not much subject to shifty herd notions. This makes him stand out in ways less sturdy folks find uncomfortable. Three deficients in particular can't abide a wayward and thry let him know clearly of their discomfort.

If I could, I'd disappear them. But, it's not my battle to fight, it's his...I can only support him and help him understand the circumstance.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Not everyone wishes to disfigure a child by breaking facial bones."

And not everyone wants to eat shit daily.

Sometimes a broken nose is a great teacher.

Too bad, for the moment, that particular teacher is forbidden from visiting the school yard.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Mannie,

Like Doc, you're my buddy, so your concern is welcomed and appreciated, but...

My keel is even again and that's what he needs right now, me, self-collected and knowing.

I'm his Mickey Goldmill and that's enough, for the moment.
thedoc

Re:

Post by thedoc »

henry quirk wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:00 pm Me and the boy are both significant fans of all things kung fu, so the idea of martial arts is appealing. Thing is: he and me, we're swamp rats, which is to say, when we scrap, it's dirty, no holds barred, without grace or humility.
Years ago I studied Isshin-ryu Karate, it was described as "organized dirty fighting". We learned to do things that most would say were not allowed. Any martial arts will build self confidence, just don't get too caught up in the romantic notions of what you are doing. One of my Sensei's was a police officer and had a very practical approach, the other tried to emphasize the philosophical side of Karate and because of a small turnout, finally left the Dojo.
Last edited by thedoc on Tue May 16, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Re:

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:02 pm Walker,

He's a Quirk.

Quirks don't run from problems.
How quirky!
Walker

Re:

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:47 pm "Not everyone wishes to disfigure a child by breaking facial bones."

And not everyone wants to eat shit daily.

Sometimes a broken nose is a great teacher.

Too bad, for the moment, that particular teacher is forbidden from visiting the school yard.
You know best on the issue. Any interpretation of postings as advice otherwise, is foolish. Knowledgable and well-intended alternative scenarios that relate to the pros and cons of government vs. private education, from many angles and not just the mystery situations, which yours was, are relevant to the raising of youngsters for all people.

Inappropriate defensiveness is indicative. It rubs off and bullies can smell it. Armoring holds the world at bay for awhile.