Is the term "redneck" politically correct ?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

Re: Is the term "redneck" politically correct ?

Post by uwot »

marjoram_blues wrote:Good Golly :shock:
What would Hume say?
Something suitably derisive, probably in algonquian.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

uwot wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Why do you think they chose the word n*****?
There's a few to choose from: coon, wog, spade; the choice of word is not the issue, it is the attitude, or at least in some circumstances, the behaviour, of the user that needs challenging.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:This is such a stupid and pointless 'argument'. What are you hoping to achieve?
World peace. Failing that, it helps develop and clarify, even change, my own thoughts.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:You never answer anything anyway, except with a repeated question. That's a coward's way to argue. Just say what you mean.
You mean like this?
"It's not clear to me whether you understand that dismissing buzzwords, labels and jargon as stupid and political-agenda-driven, is driven by the stupid political agenda of right wing nuts. Of course there are people others find irritating, and driving a wedge between them is simple divide and rule. Either you pay so much attention to language because you are a right wing nut, or you have been duped by them."
I suppose Stephen Pinker must be a right-wing nut then.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

uwot wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:Good Golly :shock:
What would Hume say?
Something suitably derisive, probably in algonquian.
With a capital A 8)
uwot

Post by uwot »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I suppose Stephen Pinker must be a right-wing nut then.
No, because he can discriminate between 'political correctness' as a positive influence that resulted in "some increase in decency" and the over zealous nonsense we sometimes see.
uwot

Post by uwot »

marjoram_blues wrote:With a capital A 8)
Yeah, but then he's Hume and I'm not.
vegetariantaxidermy

uwot wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I suppose Stephen Pinker must be a right-wing nut then.
No, because he can discriminate between 'political correctness' as a positive influence that resulted in "some increase in decency" and the over zealous nonsense we sometimes see.
Did you even listen to it? He also said pretty much exactly what I've said, even down to the comparison with the way children are treated now. People like MLK and the Suffragettes were genuine social justice reformers who risked their lives for a particular cause, not fanatical idiots who are so morally superior that they feel the need to control and censor what others say and think! I've noticed they don't get off their lazy arses and actually fight for a worthy cause. Stopping the utter destruction of the ME would be a nice way to use their energy instead of exploding their aneurysms being 'offended' 'on behalf of' especially sensitive and carefully selected groups of people whom someone supposedly said something 'insensitive' about, or scrutinising every comment for hidden 'racism'. As for n****, I would rather be called that than shot in the stomach.
I've had enough of this. Clearly our mind-sets breathe different atmospheres. I don't relate to anything you say. You are only going to come back with the same tedious, passionless drone. Good night!
uwot

Post by uwot »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Did you even listen to it?
Yes. That's why I provided the link.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:He also said pretty much exactly what I've said...
Well, he didn't say:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:What else could it be but ironic?
for instance. He was making the point that the original motives were understandable and desirable.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:...even down to the comparison with the way children are treated now.
That must be some other thread.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:No one could ever call MLK politically correct. Or the suffragettes 'politically correct'.
Well, that depends on the context.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:They were genuine social justice reformers who risked their lives for a particular cause, not fanatical idiots who are so morally superior that they feel the need to control and censor what others say and think!
By insisting that everyone accepts their definition of 'politically correct', for instance?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I've noticed they don't get off their lazy arses and actually fight for a worthy cause.
Really? It took a while for you to notice that n***** doesn't only mean black.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Stopping the utter destruction of the ME would be a nice way to use their energy instead of exploding their aneurysms being 'offended' 'on behalf of' especially sensitive and carefully selected groups of people whom someone supposedly said something 'insensitive' about, or scrutinising every comment for hidden 'racism'.
I agree, but have you noticed that the more some people are challenged, the deeper they dig their hole?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I've had enough of this. Clearly our mind-sets breathe different atmospheres. I don't relate to anything you say. You are only going to come back with the same tedious, passionless drone. Good night!
You are confusing hysteria with passion.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

uwot wrote:
thedoc wrote:
uwot wrote: Personally, I have never seen or heard it used to mean that.
Negro is a term that is used to identify a certain artist paint, I believe it is the French term for Black.
Spanish. So in the context of this thread, do you think that since negro is Spanish for black, people using the term n***** are being oppressed by others who object to their doing so? I'll say it again:
uwot wrote:The point I am making is that there are right wing opportunists, who are exploiting self righteous idiots to make any expression of 'political correctness' an affront to freedom of speech.
You might disagree, but do you at least understand?
I think the context is very important, if the term is used to denigrate another person, it is wrong, if it is used to denote a particular artist paint, then it has nothing to do with people
vegetariantaxidermy

uwot wrote:
Well, he didn't say:
for instance. He was making the point that the original motives were understandable and desirable.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:...even down to the comparison with the way children are treated now.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:No one could ever call MLK politically correct. Or the suffragettes 'politically correct'.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:They were genuine social justice reformers who risked their lives for a particular cause, not fanatical idiots who are so morally superior that they feel the need to control and censor what others say and think!
By insisting that everyone accepts their definition of 'politically correct', for instance?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I've noticed they don't get off their lazy arses and actually fight for a worthy cause.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Stopping the utter destruction of the ME would be a nice way to use their energy instead of exploding their aneurysms being 'offended' 'on behalf of' especially sensitive and carefully selected groups of people whom someone supposedly said something 'insensitive' about, or scrutinising every comment for hidden 'racism'.
I agree, but have you noticed that the more some people are challenged, the deeper they dig their hole?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I've had enough of this. Clearly our mind-sets breathe different atmospheres. I don't relate to anything you say. You are only going to come back with the same tedious, passionless drone. Good night!
What do you do? Copy paste what I write then bring it back hours later? Pinker never once referred to those social movements he talks about at the beginning as 'Politically Correct'. In fact he specifically says''...branched out into a decadent phase... have now become what we refer to as POLITICAL CORRECTNESS''. Nor does he refer to 'context', probably because it's irrelevant here. In which 'context' are you using it? Toni Cade was using it as two distinct and separate words and not as a reference to a political movement i.e. PC=Political Correctness= single entity! And it is on this thread, except that I talked about how children aren't allowed to climb trees any more.
vegetariantaxidermy

uwot wrote:
Well, he didn't say:
A political movement called 'Progressive'. Does that trigger any kind of comprehension, or would you like to discuss what the word 'progressive' actually means 'in a different context'?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:... As for n****, I would rather be called that than shot in the stomach. ...
:lol: Are those the only options you can think of? How about not being called a nig*er and not being shot in the stomach.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:... As for n****, I would rather be called that than shot in the stomach. ...
:lol: Are those the only options you can think of? How about not being called a nig*er and not being shot in the stomach.
That's not the point.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:...
A political movement called 'Progressive'. Does that trigger any kind of comprehension, or would you like to discuss what the word 'progressive' actually means 'in a different context'?
You mean this one that appears to have been going since the late C19th?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:That's not the point.
Then you shouldn't have made it.
uwot

Post by uwot »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:A political movement called 'Progressive'. Does that trigger any kind of comprehension, or would you like to discuss what the word 'progressive' actually means 'in a different context'?
Funny you should say that. As it happens, I think the term 'progressive' has been hijacked by right wing agitators in precisely the same way as 'political correctness'. I think this is a real problem for democracy, as you said:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Using jargon to silence and bully opposition into silence and submission is neither 'right' nor 'left'. It's just a political tool.
It is also one you make use of. The point is that the right have been successful in persuading enough of the centre ground that a few student hot heads are a threat to society, and that any restriction on the exploitation of people will lead to economic disaster.