Is the term "redneck" politically correct ?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: Is the term "redneck" politically correct ?

Post by marjoram_blues »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I suppose the reason so many people have trouble grasping what Political Correctness is, is the same reason they don't understand what irony is. So it's understandable that American idiots are misusing it, the way they misuse everything else. It's a wonderful term. And it does NOT mean anything you don't agree with.
As a descriptive phrase - 'politically correct' - I really don't think it is helpful. I would never apply it to myself; it smells of self righteousness, even if it isn't.
Being 'socially aware' - just seems more acceptable and clear.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

marjoram_blues wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I suppose the reason so many people have trouble grasping what Political Correctness is, is the same reason they don't understand what irony is. So it's understandable that American idiots are misusing it, the way they misuse everything else. It's a wonderful term. And it does NOT mean anything you don't agree with.
As a descriptive phrase - 'politically correct' - I really don't think it is helpful. I would never apply it to myself; it smells of self righteousness, even if it isn't.
Right. Because they are synonymous. :roll:
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Right. Because they are synonymous. :roll:
What's with the rolling eyes ?
You don't like my SAS suggestion ?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:What is the alternative to 'SJW'? Jargon is when you use words and phrases (often in metaphors) to say something that could more easily be said in plain language. Are we in the same ball park? Translation: Do you agree? ...
Sort of and sort of not, as "jargon" to me is a technique used by many fields to save time in not having to repeat lengthy plain word explanations that are already understood by the practitioners and metaphor definitely does not come into it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:What is the alternative to 'SJW'? Jargon is when you use words and phrases (often in metaphors) to say something that could more easily be said in plain language. Are we in the same ball park? Translation: Do you agree? ...
Sort of and sort of not, as "jargon" to me is a technique used by many fields to save time in not having to repeat lengthy plain word explanations that are already understood by the practitioners and metaphor definitely does not come into it.
True. There are different kinds of jargon. The one I was referring to is corporate jargon. Of course scientists and other professionals have their own technical jargon.
duszek

Post by duszek »

"Politically correct" versus "socially aware".

Even if they are not synonymous they have a large cut section: they aim at sparing the feelings of vulnerable social groups or minorities.

A difference has been pointed out:
"Socially aware" is a modest term, "politically correct" is a preposterous term.

Any other differences between the two ?
uwot

Post by uwot »

duszek wrote:A difference has been pointed out:
"Socially aware" is a modest term, "politically correct" is a preposterous term.

Not really. I think that sums it up very well.
duszek

Post by duszek »

uwot wrote:
duszek wrote:A difference has been pointed out:

Not really. I think that sums it up very well.
Thank you, uwot.

Is the term "redneck" socially aware then ?

Simple-minded patriots (if they are not criminals, racists etc.) also deserve respect, don´t they ?
Walker

Post by Walker »

duszek wrote:"Politically correct" versus "socially aware".

Even if they are not synonymous they have a large cut section: they aim at sparing the feelings of vulnerable social groups or minorities.

Socially aware is sensitivity to the feelings of others.
- Social awareness is not action.
- The term social awareness gives no indication as to the action taken on the basis of social awareness.
- Social awareness gives no indication of intent to spare feelings of others.

Political correctness is an action.
- PC is one possible action made more effective by social awareness.
- PC does not intend to spare feelings.
- PC intends to inhibit the thoughts of another.
- The purpose of that action, political correctness, is indirect control of another person’s speech.
- Speech and thought are interlaced.
- Affect speech and eventually thought is influenced.
- PC mission accomplished.

- Political correctness is an act of aggression to control another’s thoughts.
- An example of PC is a clueless teacher forcing a bullied kid to shake hands with his unrepentant tormentor.

Maybe in another decade of the past, PC meant something else.
- Like the political term "liberal" meant something else.
- But now, this is what PC means.
uwot

Post by uwot »

duszek wrote:Thank you, uwot.
You're welcome.
duszek wrote:Is the term "redneck" socially aware then ?
I don't know the whole story of the origin of "redneck", but I don't think it has ever been anything other than a term of abuse. People have their own definitions and, consciously or otherwise, will associate anyone they label a redneck, or n*****, or pc etc, with all their own assumptions. In other words, they will prejudge an individual on the basis of very limited information; which is prejudice. By "socially aware" I take it you mean 'not wishing to cause offence'; in which case I wouldn't call anyone a redneck unless they ask you to, or it was your intention to cause offence.
duszek wrote:Simple-minded patriots (if they are not criminals, racists etc.) also deserve respect, don´t they ?
Well, there's a difference between simple and simple-minded. Simple-minded generally means a bit dim. For me, respect is a two way street, but people have to lose it, rather than gain it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote:
duszek wrote:"Politically correct" versus "socially aware".

Socially aware is sensitivity to the feelings of others.
- Social awareness is not action.
- The term social awareness gives no indication as to the action taken on the basis of social awareness.
- Social awareness gives no indication of intent to spare feelings of others.

Political correctness is an action.
- PC is one possible action made more effective by social awareness.
- PC does not intend to spare feelings.
- PC intends to inhibit the thoughts of another.
- The purpose of that action, political correctness, is indirect control of another person’s speech.
- Speech and thought are interlaced.
- Affect speech and eventually thought is influenced.
- PC mission accomplished.

- Political correctness is an act of aggression to control another’s thoughts.
- An example of PC is a clueless teacher forcing a bullied kid to shake hands with his unrepentant tormentor.

Maybe in another decade of the past, PC meant something else.
- Like the political term "liberal" meant something else.
- But now, this is what PC means.
Liberal has never changed meaning--people have just become stupider. PC is a fairly modern and insulting and ironic term used to express derision and contempt for a particular brand of political extremism. The Politically Correct take worthy causes that OTHERS have worked hard for eg. human rights, equal rights, homosexual law reform, fairness for all....and twisted them into one encompassing political ideology that is so extreme it has everyone running scared to open their mouths because every word will be scrutinised by the PC word police for hidden 'unsafe' thoughts and opinions. The PC suffer from a particularly violent allergic reaction when exposed to truthfulness.
vegetariantaxidermy

Thank you to all those brave women who worked tirelessly for equal rights for women. I am sorry your name and cause has been tarnished and degraded into something that looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpvnO0p9KvU

:shock:

A bit of common sense from Thunderf00t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWxAljFlb-c
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 1:08 pm Liberal has never changed meaning--people have just become stupider. PC is a fairly modern and insulting and ironic term used to express derision and contempt for a particular brand of political extremism. The Politically Correct take worthy causes that OTHERS have worked hard for eg. human rights, equal rights, homosexual law reform, fairness for all....and twisted them into one encompassing political ideology that is so extreme it has everyone running scared to open their mouths because every word will be scrutinised by the PC word police for hidden 'unsafe' thoughts and opinions. The PC suffer from a particularly violent allergic reaction when exposed to truthfulness.

Miss USA Walks Back Health Care Position after Leftist Outrage
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/ ... alth-care/

Classic case of PC control.
- PC police must have got to her.
- Had a little chat.
- Got her mind right.
- Showed her two possible futures in the PC world.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Could it be that we all start to learn to watch our words in the nursery school ?

Whenever we are scolded for expressing our ugly views, like for example: I don´t like him or her, we learn that it is socially expected that everybody is a hypocrite and an opportunist.
We are encouraged to hide our dislike for other people.
We are discouraged from speaking our minds.

In one of Oscar Wilde´s comedies a woman is being considered an outrage because she believes in speaking her mind.

Is there are difference between "well-mannered" and "politically correct" ?
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 6:50 pm Thank you to all those brave women who worked tirelessly for equal rights for women. I am sorry your name and cause has been tarnished and degraded into something that looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpvnO0p9KvU

:shock:

That's more about coked up aggression, i.e. cracked up.

Had a different person looked at her she would have pulled out the appropriate verbal club.