Is the term "redneck" politically correct ?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"what does appear to have happened over here is slightly fewer lesser-bastards appear as they don't have the model to follow(or ape) that confirms their behaviour so easily."

Yeah, the U.S. is, what, 40 times the size of your island? Not surprising, then, you got fewer bastids since, overall, you got fewer people.

I bet, however, the percentage of bastids is about the same. That is, in any given population, bastids are gonna exist in roughly the same proportion everywhere (1 in 10, 10 in 100, 100 in a 1000, etc.).

And, again, PC is manure. It's blunt-force social engineering. It's the psychological equivalent of breeding cattle to accentuate what are deemed positive traits and eliminate negative ones.

PC is about domestication.
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:Yeah, the U.S. is, what, 40 times the size of your island? Not surprising, then, you got fewer bastids since, overall, you got fewer people.

I bet, however, the percentage of bastids is about the same. That is, in any given population, bastids are gonna exist in roughly the same proportion everywhere (1 in 10, 10 in 100, 100 in a 1000, etc.). ...
They well might but many appear to shut their mouths a little more than they used to.
And, again, PC is manure. It's blunt-force social engineering. It's the psychological equivalent of breeding cattle to accentuate what are deemed positive traits and eliminate negative ones.

PC is about domestication.
Or just evolution.

I presume you would batter someone who insulted your kids so I see little difference, it's social control all the same.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Speak poorly to me or mine and -- yeah -- there very well could be hell to pay.

Here's the thing...

I just want the fuck to leave me and mine alone...I don't give a flip what he thinks, I just don't wanna hear it.

The PC crowd isn't satisfied with the closed mouth, however...they want to edit the thinking...that's what makes 'em wrong and sometimes dangerous.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Is the term "redneck" politically correct ?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:That's not the point.
Then you shouldn't have made it.
How so?
vegetariantaxidermy

uwot wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Using jargon to silence and bully opposition into silence and submission is neither 'right' nor 'left'. It's just a political tool.
It is also one you make use of. The point is that the right have been successful in persuading enough of the centre ground that a few student hot heads are a threat to society, and that any restriction on the exploitation of people will lead to economic disaster.
None of that has anything to do with the meaning of PC. And where have I used 'jargon'?
uwot

Post by uwot »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:None of that has anything to do with the meaning of PC. And where have I used 'jargon'?
Don't be silly, PC is jargon.
vegetariantaxidermy

uwot wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:None of that has anything to do with the meaning of PC. And where have I used 'jargon'?
Don't be silly, PC is jargon.
Umm. No. It's not.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Umm. Yes. It is.
vegetariantaxidermy

uwot wrote:Umm. Yes. It is.
No. It's not. There's no alternative word and it's not replacing any other word.
uwot

Post by uwot »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
No. It's not.
Yes. It is.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:There's no alternative word...
Yes. There is.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:...and it's not replacing any other word.
I doubt any concept could be expressed that could not be described some other way. Not only is language contextual, it is much more creative, and democratic, than shrieking internet nuts believe.
vegetariantaxidermy

uwot wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
No. It's not.
Yes. It is.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:There's no alternative word...
Yes. There is.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:...and it's not replacing any other word.
I doubt any concept could be expressed that could not be described some other way. Not only is language contextual, it is much more creative, and democratic, than shrieking internet nuts believe.
So you don't know what jargon is either. Why doesn't that surprise me?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:How so?
Are you saying that what you said had no point?
uwot

Post by uwot »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:So you don't know what jargon is either. Why doesn't that surprise me?
It shouldn't, because I was using it in the same sense that you were using it here:
Mon May 08 vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Using jargon to silence and bully opposition into silence and submission is neither 'right' nor 'left'. It's just a political tool.
The question you ought to ask yourself, is why do you use rhetorical ad hominems to feign surprise?
Anyway, the serious point is that jargon is being used to manipulate the electorate. Nothing new there, I suppose. Here's one for the Got any good jokes? thread:
How do you know if politicians are lying?
Their lips move.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

duszek wrote:Let me try to clarify:

1. The term "politically correct" is used in a particular sense in the US,
when someone loathingly uses a term he is forced to use in order to avoid unpleasant consequences then this person is "only politically correct".

In Germany the term "politically correct" is used when someone uses self-discipline in order to spare other people´s feelings.
The ethnic group of "gypsies" prefers to be called "Sinti and Roma" so you take care to call them what they want to be called (also if you have no real preferences personally and do not think that "gypsy" is an insult of any kind). So the politically correct term in the German sense of the word is "Sinti and Roma".

2. Any terms that create hate among social groups should be avoided.
If you don´t call it "politcal correctness" what other term do you suggest ?

Peace.
Why not a simpler term that doesn't suggest confused political alliances. The trouble is that any term can be defined to suit the purposes of the language user. Happens quite a bit in philosophy. Ambiguity. Equivocation.

The idea of 'social awareness' pertains to evolving humans; their behaviour or attitude to self and others.
If we asked others what the term meant to them, would we have the same level of disagreement ?

I suggest that it carries less heat, and is gentler in spirit. Being socially aware or conscious would mean someone has more knowledge about the specific problems that some groups, or individuals face. It involves having a sense of an individual's state of mind - thoughts and feelings - as related to their social situation.

Understanding that individual differences does not necessarily mean good or bad; just different.
Again, education is key - the ability to analyse and get to know others without fear or prejudice.
Effective communication.

Perhaps terms like 'political correctness', if they become toxic, need to be scrapped ?
vegetariantaxidermy

I suppose the reason so many people have trouble grasping what Political Correctness is, is the same reason they don't understand what irony is. So it's understandable that American idiots are misusing it, the way they misuse everything else. It's a wonderful term. And it does NOT mean anything you don't agree with.