Announcement.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

"I'm not a troll."

Post by henry quirk »

Unfortunately, as troll-status is assigned by the other guy, it really doesn't matter if you think you're not a troll.

I don't think you are, but I'm only one 'beholder' among many.
Harbal

Re: "I'm not a troll."

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote: I don't think you are, but I'm only one 'beholder' among many.
As you know, henry, I have a lot of respect for your opinion.
thedoc

Re: Announcement.

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote: I'm not a troll.
Not 100% of the time but you do occasionally post something just to stir things up, welcome to the club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

From the article,

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement."

In that same sense Nixon was not a criminal, he was a politician, there is a subtle difference.
henry quirk

"As you know, henry, I have a lot of respect for your opinion."

Post by henry quirk »

Yeah, I don't think that's the case.

I got no illusions about my status here or in the real world, which is to say: I'm off-putting, and not held in high regard (and I'm being kind to myself in that self-assessment).

And, still: (for whatever it's worth) I don't think you're a troll.
Harbal

Re: "As you know, henry, I have a lot of respect for your opinion."

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote: I got no illusions about my status here or in the real world, which is to say: I'm off-putting, and not held in high regard (and I'm being kind to myself in that self-assessment).
I think you're more popular than you seem to realise, I get the impression that a few people are quite fond of you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Not 100% of the time but you do occasionally post something just to stir things up, welcome to the club.
On reflexion, perhaps occasional troll wouldn't be an unfair description.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

You're not a troll. Being one is a full-time job and you're only part-time, which is true for most of us and nearly unavoidable on debate forums. I know of only ONE full-time troll whose identity need not be made explicit though anyone's guess would probably be the right one!
osgart

Post by osgart »

stupidity for everyone pass it around. Nobody is handing out intelligence. I will have to make my own knowledge.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

osgart wrote:stupidity for everyone pass it around. Nobody is handing out intelligence. I will have to make my own knowledge.
You remind me of Dontaskme, there's something about the senselessness of your writing that is very similar.